CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

32 minutes ago, Giesi said:

IW numbers are mighty impressive, but let me remind you that TFA broke the record by a huge margin in freaking DECEMBER, the weekend before Christmas.

Yeah so? It's April.  There aren't any kids out of school right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, LaughingEvans said:

What they paid for the first time is no longer a selling point. 

They can advertise it as starring a lead from that record breaking Infinity War movie -  Zoe Saldana if you loved her when she was green wait until you see her as blue - again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Deadline is predicting $247,1M now.

They've had that estimate for some hours now, coupled with an 80.9 Saturday number. But with Rth/Empire both giving us the 82M Saturday (I STILL CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE I'M TYPING THAT), it's a damn near lock to break TFA's record at this point. Even if Disney lowballs the estimates, movie's gonna over 250M, or at worst less than a million under 250.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

What they paid for the first time is no longer a selling point. 

Yeah Sam was such a terrible choice, no one went back to see him again. Even if what you say is true (it isn't), he's a full-time Avatar now, his human body is gone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

Last day you guys will be able to see $69M as the Saturday record

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Single Day Gross Theaters Average Date / Days in Release Gross to Date* Final Gross*
1 Jurassic World Uni. $69,644,830 4,274 $16,295 6/13/15 2 $151.6 $652.3
2 Marvel's The Avengers BV $69,557,990 4,349 $15,994 5/05/12 2 $150.4 $623.4
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $68,294,204 4,134 $16,520 12/19/15 2 $187.4 $936.7
4 Black Panther BV $65,995,366 4,020 $16,417 2/17/18 2 $141.9 $684.9
5 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $63,993,205 4,232 $15,121 12/16/17 2 $168.7 $620.2

Avengers at #2. It makes me :whosad:every time I see it get knocked down the domestic and WW charts.

If we can't defend our records you can be damn sure we'll avenge them.:hahaha:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

James Cameron will need to have Thanos invade Pandora at this point.

Considering that Avatar 2 will be under the Mouse in all likelihood, that's actually feasible!

It's funny you should say that, because Thanos Josh Brolin actually rejected Cameron's offer for a role in the Avatar sequels.

Edited by vc2002
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Funny how there was a thread a few weeks ago about which movie could break $250M OW. Ι didn't see anyone write IW.

Seriously? IW over 250 was a super common prediction by optimistic fanboys (self included) here and on reddit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Avatar 2 doesn't need to have a huge OW in order to be successful people. The first one proved it.

Avatar had the highest grossing weekend for an original movie at the time.

Now I'm not saying it will have the franchise power of 50 years of toys, films, cartoons, books, comic books, video games... but I'm expecting a 200m opening into something huge

4 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Don't want Star Wars to loose the title... but I did predict 252 for the OW of IW sooooooo win, win I guess?

It could be a plus for 9 though. If these estimates hold and TFA loses the title, that gives JJ a lot of motivation to pull out all the stops in the marketing for 9 and the film itself.