CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar had the highest grossing weekend for an original movie at the time.

Now I'm not saying it will have the franchise power of 50 years of toys, films, cartoons, books, comic books, video games... but I'm expecting a 200m opening into something huge

You expect Avatar 2 to open above 200M domestically or WW? I highly highly doubt the former. A 200M opening is still far from an easy feat.

14 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Avatar 2 will have to come up with a groundbreaking 5d technology if they want to keep up, because no one in the universe will pay tickets for Sam Worthington. 

Or they can just cast Chris Pratt!

3 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Avatar 2 doesn't need to have a huge OW in order to be successful people. The first one proved it.

The first one was also when 3D was fairly new. People are either used to it, or over it by now. It's still going to do pretty well since I'm sure Jim won't have 2D versions for people to see like we get with other movies. I don't recall ever seeing any showings of the first one in my area in 2D.

Just now, somebody85 said:

You expect Avatar 2 to open above 200M domestically or WW? I highly highly doubt the former. A 200M opening is still far from an easy feat.

Domestic. You underestimate people ability to remember the best movie experience of the decade. A true modern classic.

About to see IW for the first time (in less than 15 min from now). So busy that I am able to squeeze my time at this late on Sunday. So happy knowing it is almost guaranteed to break the OW record.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Domestic. You underestimate people ability to remember the best movie experience of the decade. A true modern classic.

Yeah....so you're on your own there. Again, I would predict Terminator 6 having a bigger OW over Avatar 2 due to Linda Hamilton returning.

Pop culture and nostalgia has played a big part in a lot of these mega openers. And that's just something Avatar does not have. And for it being such an amazing experience, it sure was forgotten about really quickly.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Wow! Incredible number! All of the Sunday holds from the 200M+ openers would give it the record now, except TLJ. Civil War's hold would put it at 234 (why was that hold so bad? :gold:)

I hope it plays out closer to The Avengers than CW, it deservers every record, and I think it has the WOM to pull it off.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah....so you're on your own there. Again, I would predict Terminator 6 having a bigger OW over Avatar 2 due to Linda Hamilton returning.

Pop culture and nostalgia has played a big part in a lot of these mega openers. And that's just something Avatar does not have. And for it being such an amazing experience, it sure was forgotten about really quickly.

I know how difficult it will be for an original film's sequel to make $200m, it's no easy task.

When it makes $200m weekend all the detractors better start running for the hills.

1 minute ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Wow! Incredible number! All of the Sunday holds from the 200M+ openers would give it the record now, except TLJ. Civil War's hold would put it at 234 (why was that hold so bad? :gold:)

Someone earlier mentioned that Civil War's Sunday was Mother's Day, which led to it losing viewers to more female-skewing films that day.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I know how difficult it will be for an original film's sequel to make $200m, it's no easy task.

When it makes $200m weekend all the detractors better start running for the hills.

Go ahead and open that club. Maybe it will be like excel with JW.

I don't see it happening even with Disneys marketing power. Avatar is a legs movie and big sci-fi original films do not have huge opening weekends. There is usually a lot of nostalgia attached to the films that reach those heights.

The reason I compare Avatar 2 to Terminator 6 is I think Cameron has some producing credits there and Sarah Conner is such an iconic character. If Linda Hamilton can get in shape for the role again, that could really break out. Plus this is such a good time for bad ass women on screen and she's one of the top ones in all of film. It's almost like the OT Star Wars characters returning if they decide to erase 3-5.

That's not to say it will have this mega opening but I don't see Avatar 2 having it either. Avatar didn't have a mega opening.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

So, when this wins the Oscar for best visual effects, who gets it? I noticed all the companies involved in the credits the first time and counted the second time for fun. IMDB had this nice list. Looking at past winners, it seems like supervisors from each company win. ILM and Weta for sure. I wonder how much work the others did.

Special Effects

Capital T (visual effects)

Cinesite

Clear Angle Studios

Digital Domain

Direct Dimensions (DDI) (3D scanning) (uncredited)

Double Negative

Elstree Effects

Exceptional Minds (additional visual effects. end credits)

Framestore

Gilderfluke & Co. Inc.

Industrial Light & Magic (ILM)

International Fire and Rescue Association

Legacy Effects

Lola Visual Effects (Visual Effects)

Method Studios

Perception

RISE Visual Effects Studios

Territory Studio

Third Floor, The

Weta Digital