CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

16 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Will Lucasfilm have a nice little picture to congratulate Marvel Studios? Might seem weird if they're both Disney.

Nah Jim broke that tradition I'm sorry, Disney studios did not receive any congratulations from Jim when it become the highest grossing domestic film. He probably doesn't have any respect for Studio first cookie cutter film-making if I had to guess. (don't @ me on that its just speculation)

17 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Go ahead and open that club. Maybe it will be like excel with JW.

I don't see it happening even with Disneys marketing power. Avatar is a legs movie and big sci-fi original films do not have huge opening weekends. There is usually a lot of nostalgia attached to the films that reach those heights.

The reason I compare Avatar 2 to Terminator 6 is I think Cameron has some producing credits there and Sarah Conner is such an iconic character. If Linda Hamilton can get in shape for the role again, that could really break out. Plus this is such a good time for bad ass women on screen and she's one of the top ones in all of film. It's almost like the OT Star Wars characters returning if they decide to erase 3-5.

That's not to say it will have this mega opening but I don't see Avatar 2 having it either. Avatar didn't have a mega opening.

It's too far out to do now and I'll be doing the over $3b worldwide club as domestic is just a small part of the picture for me. I think you're treating audiences with disrespect, they definitely remember Avatar and the marketing buzz before it is going to be huge. People on here keep saying it's forgotten but you consistently see it brought up by the media and it's still 3 years out. Just this week IW has given Avatar some time in the media with the well timed fatigue smack talk from Jim and the Jimmy Fallon show with the Avengers cast. It's going to have so much hype going into it, it will be unreal, you're going to hear "the highest grossing film of all time Avatar's sequel... avatar 2 is finally happening this december".. news outlets will be going crazy for it and stuff

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

Special Effects

Cinesite

Digital Domain

Double Negative

Framestore

Industrial Light & Magic (ILM)

Lola Visual Effects (Visual Effects)

Method Studios

Weta Digital

This is the major studios.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

they are 100 days into a 170 day shoot by the way

I have faith in Jim's procrastination :hahaha:

I'm actually shocked they finally started. I gave up paying attention cause it was taking forever. Is 11 years enough time for nostalgia? It's not Jurassic World's 14, but does that 3-year difference really matter?

18 hours ago, VGPOP said:

TFA jumped +9.9% from its true Friday opening. This was in December.

Schools are still in session if I'm correct for Infinity. More people will go see this movie today than yesterday. A "healthy" +14% is reasonable from its true Friday (compared to TFA)

+22.4% increase.with $82 million. 

A true day worth of ticket sales. 

Opening weekend record. 

Juts phenomenal. 

5 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

I have faith in Jim's procrastination :hahaha:

I'm actually shocked they finally started. I gave up paying attention cause it was taking forever. Is 11 years enough time for nostalgia? It's not Jurassic World's 14, but does that 3-year difference really matter?

Not meaning to sound like a jerk but to say he procrastinates really unknowledgable, he doesn't know the meaning of the word.

Nostalgia will not be needed as it will stand on it's own two legs just as every Jim films before it, but to answer your question probably.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Wow! $82 million???? I can't see Sunday's number being much below $70 million then. Does this automatically guarantee that Captain Marvel will go over $400 million domestic next year?

Optimistic

150M OW

450M US

1B WW

Realistic

120M OW

350M US

850M WW

Cynical

100M OW

250M US

700M WW

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DAR said:

80 million for one day is only 13 million less than what a Warner Brothers property made in its opening weekend.

Back in 2004 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban opened to 93 million

AIW OW will also be more than what a Warner Brothers property made in its entire run.

Back in 2004 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ended it's run with 249M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

they are 100 days into a 170 day shoot by the way

Hopefully, Disney will sell the rights to Netflix once their purchase of Fox is finalized. Then they can release the inevitable live-action Pocahontas without having to worry about audiences getting it confused with the blue version. :)

• Haha 3

250-255 OW

Even with a 60% second weekend tumble that's 410-415 in 10-days. And there's no rules that it'll play like Ultron or Civil War anymore considering how high attendance is this weekend. 

We're in the endgame now...

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Nah Jim broke that tradition I'm sorry, Disney studios did not receive any congratulations from Jim when it become the highest grossing domestic film.

They still do it for opening weekends records. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Hopefully, Disney will sell the rights to Netflix once their purchase of Fox is finalized. Then they can release the inevitable live-action Pocahontas without having to worry about audiences getting it confused with the blue version. :)

Impossible Disney isn't able to throw away free money, they'll suck your films dry until they got every penny they can.