CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

5 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I think crazy DBZ space battles will be big in foreign markets. If it leans into 90s nostalgia the same way GOTG does with 80s nostalgia though that might be a bit of a barrier. 

If they can give us a GotG level or better quality movie, with the women empowering vibe that WW had, this movie is going to do insane numbers. If it can tap just 75% of the enthusiasm that BP had, that would give us the 150M OW and 517M+ US

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Live action Dragon Ball Z with $300m budget and full cgi when?

cell_s_plot_by_sunlaiyan_by_9284098-d7ix

Nobody in Hollywood I would trust with that, unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Speaking of GOTG I reckon Infinity War will do well to boost their OS chances for Vol 3. Same whenever they make Doctor Strange 2 but more for the North America box office.

GOTG3 will come close to a billion or finally cross it.

OW: 170M

US: 420M (nice)

WW: 1.02B

Strange 2 is probably looking at Ragnarok numbers.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

Funny how there was a thread a few weeks ago about which movie could break $250M OW. Ι didn't see anyone write IW.

Really? It's amazing how many knowledgeable people underestimated AIW's potential.

I was one of the very few to claim that AIW could beat TFA OW record months ago. How can I find my old posts btw? 

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Really? It's amazing how many knowledgeable people underestimated AIW's potential.

I was one of the very few to claim that AIW could beat TFA OW record months ago. How can I find my old posts btw? 

People were being gun shy after Ultron and Civil War. Glad this puts to rest that audiences saw Civil War as an Avengers film.

• Like 1

Here's a crazy thought:

Let's say Marvel tees up everything just right...

2018: Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, Spider-Man 2

2019: GOTG3

These could all be billion dollar films. If so, besides Ant-Man 2, they would have been on a billion dollar streak since Black Panther. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I know that inflation is what it is, but as someone who remembers feeling that Spider-Man's $114.8 million record seemed unfathomably huge, it still blows my mind that a movie needs to hit nearly a quarter of a billion dollars to claim the domestic opening record now. Then again, I'm also astonished that kids born when Spider-Man was released are just about old enough to drive in the U.S., so... ;)

Old timers from bomojo forums like Baumer....me e.t.c still remember how shocking that ow was.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Nobody in Hollywood I would trust with that, unfortunately.

GOTG3 will come close to a billion or finally cross it.

OW: 170M

US: 420M (nice)

WW: 1.02B

Strange 2 is probably looking at Ragnarok numbers.

I know a man.

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

People were being gun shy after Ultron and Civil War. Glad this puts to rest that audiences saw Civil War as an Avengers film.

I think what also makes this stand out from Civil War is that the big new additions in that movie (Black Panther and Spider-Man) actually have movies of their own now, which furthers the hype of seeing them cross over (again). Not like people were lining up to see Ant-Man get in on the crossover action. Plus Spider-Man was all over the marketing this time around. Add in Guardians and Strange and it's just a monster.

:mouthdropped:  ok I thought high 70's at most but 82m.... just  wow.

so in the  summer game I put down 263m / 730m  not unhappy with this now.

as for the derby... 256m is looing pretty sweet right now :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LaughingEvans said:

I never got the popularity of Dragonball. I dropped it on that episode where the bad guy killed someone using only his tongue. Even for 8 year old me, that was too much.

Definitely not for kids under 13. Need to start from the beginning or you'll be lost. I just got into it about a year and a half ago. Hooked.

20 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I think crazy DBZ space battles will be big in foreign markets. If it leans into 90s nostalgia the same way GOTG does with 80s nostalgia though that might be a bit of a barrier. 

Eh. I dont think Dragon Ball would ever translate well into a live action. I can easily think of a hundred 100 anime that would be better suited. Though DBZ is not alone - a ton of the most popular animes (the battle shounens) simply would not do well in live action. 

Spoiler

They should try a Steins Gate. Would not cost much and could be fantastic

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

12m dollars in 2 days :ohmygod:

It did in 2 days what Civil War, Spiderman, etc did in their entire runs

Cross posting from the India thread. IW has exceeded the entire run of Civil war and pretty much every SH movie in just 2 days!!

By tomorrow it should overtake entire lifetime grossnof AoU which is the highest grossing movie here

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Well... I guess it would be full circle since Toriyama borrowed so much from the Terminator movies. 

all this time Trunk's had John Connor's hair and I never realised...

Cell saga has The Terminator (android 16), time travel and John Connor (trunks). How did I never realiseee

Edited by IronJimbo