CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, cheesypoofs said:

I've always said, a *good* live action DBZ series of movies would do gang busters. 

should be full cgi and performance capture and have Goku on the screen, not an actor with a ridiculous hair cut trying to look like goku.

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2018/04/avengers-infinity-war-weekend-box-office-opening-records-1202378032/

Today, Infinity War scored the record for the best Saturday ever with $80.9M, which is 16% ahead of the previous Saturday record owned by Universal’s Jurassic World ($69.6M, June 13, 2015). Today marked a wonderful -25% ease from Friday’s $106.7M (including $39M Thursday previews). Back those previews out of Friday ($67.7M) and today was +19% over yesterday for the Disney-Marvel title.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

Definitely not for kids under 13. Need to start from the beginning or you'll be lost. I just got into it about a year and a half ago. Hooked.

I mean... I got into the franchise when I was 10. I'd say that's a pretty decent cutoff. 

Just now, MaxAggressor said:

http://deadline.com/2018/04/avengers-infinity-war-weekend-box-office-opening-records-1202378032/

Today, Infinity War scored the record for the best Saturday ever with $80.9M, which is 16% ahead of the previous Saturday record owned by Universal’s Jurassic World ($69.6M, June 13, 2015). Today marked a wonderful -25% ease from Friday’s $106.7M (including $39M Thursday previews). Back those previews out of Friday ($67.7M) and today was +19% over yesterday for the Disney-Marvel title.

Thats an old update. The 82 number provided is newer and after this update came out. We will have to wait till morning for Deadline to updatr their numbers

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

all this time Trunk's had John Connor's hair and I never realised...

Cell saga has The Terminator (android 16), time travel and John Connor (trunks). How did I never realiseee

OG Dragon Ball also references Terminator:

latest?cb=20091107171237

Plus although not strictly Cameron, Freeza's third form is very clearly a Xenomorph:

latest?cb=20120609225146

• Like 2

I dont think any anime would do that well. To have GA appeal they would need to serious water it down, which would upset fans. The reason I struggle with anime is that they all start off fine, and then just get progressively more stupid and contrived as they go on.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Thanks 1

How did critics get it really wrong with IW when it has an 84% approval rating and scored a couple hundreds on metacritic? 

You know who got it really wrong? Me. I thought this would have a shot to break the Saturday record but not by $13M :dunce: Oh well I am happy to be wrong about this cause I was hoping it would break TFAs record :) 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Thats an old update. The 82 number provided is newer and after this update came out. We will have to wait till morning for Deadline to updatr their numbers

Damn. I saw @CJohn's post about the Saturday estimate by Deadline and I thought it was a new update. In any case, the Sat record is toast. That number is frankly ridiculous.

I saw the recommended posts regarding the Sat. figures only after posting the old Deadline update.

The 2 day aggregate in India is bonkers as well. 600m+ WW OW is in play and that too without China & Russia.

Edited by MaxAggressor

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

That and their 247.1m projection is several million too low even if Saturday did come in 1.1m lower.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Nah Jim broke that tradition I'm sorry, Disney studios did not receive any congratulations from Jim when it become the highest grossing domestic film. He probably doesn't have any respect for Studio first cookie cutter film-making if I had to guess. (don't @ me on that its just speculation)

It's too far out to do now and I'll be doing the over $3b worldwide club as domestic is just a small part of the picture for me. I think you're treating audiences with disrespect, they definitely remember Avatar and the marketing buzz before it is going to be huge. People on here keep saying it's forgotten but you consistently see it brought up by the media and it's still 3 years out. Just this week IW has given Avatar some time in the media with the well timed fatigue smack talk from Jim and the Jimmy Fallon show with the Avengers cast. It's going to have so much hype going into it, it will be unreal, you're going to hear "the highest grossing film of all time Avatar's sequel... avatar 2 is finally happening this december".. news outlets will be going crazy for it and stuff

Yeah, people writing off Avatar is laughable. 

We had it for years as Disney built up to opening Pandora in Animal Kingdom. Over a year later and it’s still a phenomenon in Orlando. 

Knowing Cameron the sequels will show us something we’ve never seen before and audiences will come. He’s the king at pushing the boundaries. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Critics really got it wrong with IW. Its probably their best movie and WOM is fantastic

No they didn't. Black Panther is better and also more important movie. It really something more than just superhero film. Infinity War outside of Thanos who is complex and interesting character, is really just another loud product

Edited by Damianport1
  • Like 1