CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If the bump was from double bills they may not have them on Sunday

:( 

I want it to increase. It’s so close to passing TLJ WW

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

BvS was hated. Why would IW have BvS style legs?

IW won’t have BVS style legs.

But people might be saying it because Civil War’s multiplier was only .28 more than Batman V Superman. Despite a 64% difference on RT. 

2 minutes ago, lobogotti said:

What astonishes me over and over are how the trades get these estimates so wrong, so early.

Variety was the first to report Friday and said:  $95-100M Fri / $225M OW.

Where is the due diligence in those numbers?  For example, that Thursday number blew Ultron out of the water, yet if IW made $95M for it’s true Friday, it would have actually been lower than Ultron??

Do they not hire any box office analysts with background in actual box office?

Simple math, previous MCU films, user ratings, etc. we’re indicators after the Thursday number came out that $105M should be the floor for Friday.

And from there you set the Saturday at a minimum of $75M.  And you arrive at a much more accurate early estimate of $240M... with room to grow, as the film has done.

Missing this by over $30M from your first estimate is just sloppy when you figure they should be experts in the field.

There is little incentive to do so.  The industry standard at this point is to revise numbers over the course of the weekend, and the larger public only hones-in on the box office for big weekends like this.

What is the financial incentive to have major BO guys for these media/news companies?  Nothing to be gained really - the BO enthusiast crowd like us is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.  No one else cares enough.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Just broke the record but there is only 19 people in this thread. Wtf BOT

:hahaha:

I stayed up all night posting in this thread and just woke up.

INCREDIBLE. THIS IS ONE FOR THE AGES AND THIS RECORD WILL STAY FOR AT LEAST A DECADE.

Or a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Now it just needs to beat Black Panther to be the #1 of the year! 

It will be the n.1 of the WORLDWIDE b.o which is what really matters.

Anyway disney’s Sunday estimate seems silly to me.

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyItsMoses said:

I also just read in the terms of service, that if you decide to cancel your subscription, you have to wait a minimum of 9 months before subscribing again.

Okay, i can't watch the same movie more than once in theaters, whatever; but i don't think i'm limited to just 4 movies a month. i signed up for this back in august 2017, i should still have unlimited access to films. i think it's just new subscribers that are just limited to 4 films a month.

I never said old subscribers were limited to 4 films. Not sure where thats coming from.

5 minutes ago, lobogotti said:

What astonishes me over and over are how the trades get these estimates so wrong, so early.

Variety was the first to report Friday and said:  $95-100M Fri / $225M OW.

Where is the due diligence in those numbers?  For example, that Thursday number blew Ultron out of the water, yet if IW made $95M for it’s true Friday, it would have actually been lower than Ultron??

Do they not hire any box office analysts with background in actual box office?

Simple math, previous MCU films, user ratings, etc. we’re indicators after the Thursday number came out that $105M should be the floor for Friday.

And from there you set the Saturday at a minimum of $75M.  And you arrive at a much more accurate early estimate of $240M... with room to grow, as the film has done.

Missing this by over $30M from your first estimate is just sloppy when you figure they should be experts in the field.

Maybe they thought it would play more like a Star Wars film with that kind of preview number? But it played like a marvel movie with that stupid big Saturday. 

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's had a very good run, especially when considering it got overshadowed by other movies (A Quiet Place and then of course Infinity War).

It was always going to overshadowed by IW but AQP did knock some of the wind out of it domestically but it more than made up for it OS. Legs have good as well, 2.5-2.6 multi from the 4 days and 3.2 multi from the 3 days is pretty solid. 

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's a great number for it. Especially considering the media and fake woke twitter were rooting so hard for it to bomb.

The whole RPO is going to bomb thing was just annoying. 

• Like 1

Avengers has joined Paranormal Activity by decreasing with its sequel but increasing with the threequel. 

(Ignoring the fact that Civil War was technically Avengers 3). 

What other franchises have done this, besides Paranormal Activity and now Avengers? 

* The Purge increased from 1 to 2 to 3. 

Edited by Krissykins

36 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

It's too bad a better movie didn't claim the record. AIW is an overlong and mediocre film. 

Thank goodness for the modern suburban cineplex with so many screens that allowed me to see AIW yesterday afternoon, grab some dinner at a restaurant that shares the same parking lot and then head back to the cinema to see a better film for a nightcap.

Uh, as opposed to The Force Awakens? lol.

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This movie has officially transcended to cultural phenomenon level with these numbers. $600M is going down, and most likely $700M too (heck, even Avatar might not be safe either).

Hmm...I still don't think it is a phenomenon. 

Of course it's only OW, but it's expectations have to be helluva lot higher. 

It has so many more pieces that, if it matched Black Panther, it would still not be considered one in my eyes. I think my prediction is $650m so even coming close to BP would technically be overperforming, but I'd still say to reach phenomenon levels, it would require closer to $750m. 

After all, the original Avengers already adjusts to over $700m. 

6 minutes ago, jjack339 said:

I was very pleasantly surprised by it. I only went to it because my sister was in town and offered to watch the kids so me and my wife wanted to do dinner and a movie and that was the only thing out. I was kinda interested in it, my wife was not interested at all. We both ended up liking it a lot. I feel the marketing failed it domestically. I though it was essentially going to be Gamer 2 based on the marketing but it was much more. WB seriously needs to revamp their marketing department. 

I think the whole backlash did hurt it a little rather than WB's own marketing, their marketing team is usually on the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

Going to see IW for 2nd time in 2d Imax in 3 hours. 

Seeing it in IMAX 2D is a HUGE difference...like going from DVD to blu-ray lol. I was angry at myself for seeing IW the first two times in Cinemark XD but that theater was closer. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Avengers has joined Paranormal Activity by decreasing with its sequel but increasing with the threequel. 

(Ignoring the fact that Civil War was technically Avengers 3). 

What other franchises have done this, besides Paranormal Activity and now Avengers? 

* The Purge increased from 1 to 2 to 3. 

The Star Wars prequels saw something similar (Attack of the Clones took a bit of a dip from The Phantom Menace before bouncing back with Revenge of the Sith).

Woohoo!! What a weekend this was. The ultimate roller coaster ride of box office figures....

And it has ended the best way possible!! 

Both the records in the bag.

630m in one weekend...Goddamn

And to think this would have been easily over 800 with China.

Just absolutely fucking mind blowing.

And the WOM seems to be off the roof everywhere. I think the legs are going to surprise us just like the numbers this weekend.

I'd say even 1.8B WW is not completely out of bounds now

• Like 1

My goodness. This has opened to 12.5 M here in the Philippines. It has obliterated the totals of BLACK PANTHER, WONDER WOMAN and JUSTICE LEAGUE in 5 days. The record for the biggest gross here is 15 M. :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 3
  • Astonished 10