CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Tree said:

Looks like Avengers did alright. Glad I didn't miss much being banned this weekend.

tree your avatar is unsightly, your name begins with a T

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

this

I dunno, I think there's even odds IW has the legs to edge it out.  =)  But maybe not in adjusted dollars.

At a minimum, it's going to come up right behind it.  No way this movie loses steam and only ends up at AoU numbers.  I think at a minimum its 1.7bn total, but could be TFA/Avatar money.

1 minute ago, REC said:

I dunno, I think there's even odds IW has the legs to edge it out.  =)  But maybe not in adjusted dollars.

At a minimum, it's going to come up right behind it.  No way this movie loses steam and only ends up at AoU numbers.  I think at a minimum its 1.7bn total, but could be TFA/Avatar money.

we are talking about $2.78b right? That's a BILLION more than the value you mentioned

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

You said something similar like 25 pages ago,  but to loop back:

THIS

THIIIIIIIS

T

H

I

SSSSS

Do Not Doubt Disney Marketing. It will be Not Be Stopped. Solo. Incredibles. MARY POPPINS. Captain Effing Marvel. A4. They are all coming for your wallets. 

tenor.gif

It's hard to find words to describe just how jaw-dropping those Avengers numbers are. The record for Force Awakens seemed too high to top for at least a few years, and even coming within $10 million of it would have been an astonishing accomplishment; the fact that Avengers was able to top that record speaks to just how well Disney and Marvel were able to translate hype and long-standing audience love to enormous numbers. I also feel like it gives even more definite confirmation to the notion that with very few exceptions, you can open a big movie at any time of year and get an enormous result.

I mean, really, the only other thing even close to being worth commenting on in the top ten is Black Panther's drop. It undoubtedly got some boost from double features, but I'm guessing that most of the strength of that hold is genuine thanks to Avengers sellout spillovers. It should be able to edge past $700 million now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

we are talking about $2.78b right? That's a BILLION more than the value you mentioned

Ok my bad, you're right.  I don't think it will pass Avatar.  But over 2bn and just ahead of TFA is possible.

Just now, REC said:

Ok my bad, you're right.  I don't think it will pass Avatar.  But over 2bn and just ahead of TFA is possible.

Yeah I'm not writing off $2b just yet, Avatar is out of reach though.

• Like 1

I think the scenario of IW's WW total beating A1 while also having its DOM total being below BP to be extremely likely.

630M DOM

1.575B WW

I personally hope it smashes even these numbers though. It deserves it.

My unrealistic dream scenario would be:

800M+ DOM

2B+ WW

3 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

TFA OW adjusts to 261m, and that was during December right before the Holidays hit.

I think even setting aside inflation, that one would have opened close to $300m in the summer. It's a very different time of the year and holiday shopping deflates the opening numbers. The previous December record after accounting for inflation and averaging the 3-day/5-day openings of Wednesday films:  Return of the King at roughly $140m opening in 2015 dollars. 

In that year end time period the demand is far more spread out. We saw that very recently with films like Last Jedi, Jumanji, and Greatest Showman. TFA's 17-day total was $742m which is $794m in 2018 dollars. Its final total was $936m which is $992m in 2018 dollars. 

Even TLJ with "weak" legs by December standards still ended up with a 2.82 multiplier. Infinity War at $255m opening and 2.82 multiplier would be $720m, which would be an incredible result if it can get there. Won't be easy though considering what we have seen from other superhero sequels through the years. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Sometimes I wish we could create polls in our posts so we could ask questions. I want to want to ask what people think Sundays drop will be

Below 15%, 15%-20%, 20-25%, Above 25%

20-25% IMO but closer to 20 than 25. 

Fuck that's crazy. After the $106M Friday I was expecting it to come around $10M under the record, but Saturday was fucking nuts. There's no way it drops 26.5% Sunday. Worst case scenario it's gonna be like 20%. There's gotta be a lot of spillover that'll still take place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think even setting aside inflation, that one would have opened close to $300m in the summer. It's a very different time of the year and holiday shopping deflates the opening numbers. The previous December record after accounting for inflation and averaging the 3-day/5-day openings of Wednesday films:  Return of the King at roughly $140m opening in 2015 dollars. 

In that year end time period the demand is far more spread out. We saw that very recently with films like Last Jedi, Jumanji, and Greatest Showman. TFA's 17-day total was $742m which is $794m in 2018 dollars. Its final total was $936m which is $992m in 2018 dollars. 

Even TLJ with "weak" legs by December standards still ended up with a 2.82 multiplier. Infinity War at $255m opening and 2.82 multiplier would be $720m, which would be an incredible result if it can get there. Won't be easy though considering what we have seen from other superhero sequels through the years. 

The content, buildup, and meaning of this movie to the fans will guarantee it does not have weak legs.  This movie is designed for repeat viewings, and obsessive commentary.  To me 700m is now on lock.  I don't think there's anything here that will make this a TLJ type of situation.