CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

3 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

I think the scenario of IW's WW total beating A1 while also having its DOM total being below BP to be extremely likely.

630M DOM

1.575B WW

I personally hope it smashes even these numbers though. It deserves it.

My unrealistic dream scenario would be:

800M+ DOM

2B+ WW

What, that WW won't happen with that DOM, this movie will gross more than a Billion OS.

It already is at 380M without China (and Russia) after the OW.

Even if it just slightly more than doubles that that is 800M without China and Russsian and with those two it most likely will be above 1.1+B Os so total would be 1.7+B

1 minute ago, REC said:

The content, buildup, and meaning of this movie to the fans will guarantee it does not have weak legs.  This movie is designed for repeat viewings, and obsessive commentary.  To me 700m is now on lock.  I don't think there's anything here that will make this a TLJ type of situation.

That's about a 2.75 multiplier. It's doable but not easy. Even some of the very well-received superhero sequels have a tough time getting to that multiplier. $700m would be amazing but I don't think it's locked. 

Okay, just got back - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The movie has its flaws, but like Toy Story 3, I overlook them b/c they FINALLY delivered again on the heart - it's not faked, it's not unearned, it's not laughed away...

I have so much to say, but rather than post that here, how about grades and thoughts:)...

My grade - A. I didn't give one to any movie last year, so these are hard to earn from me.  But, it's an A (now, not an A+ - I've only given like 10 of those ever, and this still has a few things I don't love, but an A).  

Spouse's grade - A-/B+ - He found too many characters and just a little too hard to invest.  He wanted fewer.  Now, after being a religious MCU watcher, he has missed the last 3 (2 no interest and 1 we were sick and never got there - hi BP), while I have watched 2 of 3, so I'd say his rating is probably gonna be on par to the "fallen away" Marvel viewer.

Goodness for kids - Not at all.  I'd only take my oldest.  And even then, my spouse and I have decided we'll just have the kids see this on video at Xmas, and then see if they all make it through, so we can buy opening day tickets for #4 for 6 or for 2:).

At the end, there was silence at my screening, and then murmuring.  Take that reaction for what you will.

Legs - I don't know.  I'm so torn.  It's not gonna get them from families.  It's not gonna get them from pre-teen and teen girls (ala Titanic) wanting to see a doomed love affair.  So, it's gonna have to get them from all of you guys.  But it is so must see, maybe they are there....but then again, maybe you all wait to do the double feature next year.  I don't know.  My brain is leaning against, but my heart doesn't want my brain to be right.

Last thought - OW record will last less than 13 months.  Avengers 4 will break the OW record next year.  It may break the previews record, too.  I can't imagine anyone who saw this and liking this waiting.  I see round the clock Thursday and Friday night viewings everywhere.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

I didn't think it would beat TFA's OW. But shocked? Come on. This has been the hypiest hype in years. 

It's impressive, but not really shocking.

Star Wars has always had a much larger audience while comics were originally pretty niche so reaching that point is still incredible.

That's definitely the beginning of a new era: the new heroes come and surpass those of the previous decades, and while Star Wars'shuge success was fueled by the old world (USA, Europe, Japan), the huge success of Avengers is much more fueled by the "new" world: Latin America, Asia without Japan...

That's fascinating.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's about a 2.75 multiplier. It's doable but not easy. Even some of the very well-received superhero sequels have a tough time getting to that multiplier. $700m would be amazing but I don't think it's locked. 

You'd be right, except I don't think this is just a superhero movie.  There's more going on here than just that.  That categorization would be correct in almost any other scenario.  And I can't say anything more about that without getting into the story and plot of this thing.  =)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, just got back - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The movie has its flaws, but like Toy Story 3, I overlook them b/c they FINALLY delivered again on the heart - it's not faked, it's not unearned, it's not laughed away...

I have so much to say, but rather than post that here, how about grades and thoughts:)...

My grade - A. I didn't give one to any movie last year, so these are hard to earn from me.  But, it's an A (now, not an A+ - I've only given like 10 of those ever, and this still has a few things I don't love, but an A).  

Spouse's grade - A-/B+ - He found too many characters and just a little too hard to invest.  He wanted fewer.  Now, after being a religious MCU watcher, he has missed the last 3 (2 no interest and 1 we were sick and never got there - hi BP), while I have watched 2 of 3, so I'd say his rating is probably gonna be on par to the "fallen away" Marvel viewer.

Goodness for kids - Not at all.  I'd only take my oldest.  And even then, my spouse and I have decided we'll just have the kids see this on video at Xmas, and then see if they all make it through, so we can buy opening day tickets for #4 for 6 or for 2:).

At the end, there was silence at my screening, and then murmuring.  Take that reaction for what you will.

Legs - I don't know.  I'm so torn.  It's not gonna get them from families.  It's not gonna get them from pre-teen and teen girls (ala Titanic) wanting to see a doomed love affair.  So, it's gonna have to get them from all of you guys.  But it is so must see, maybe they are there....but then again, maybe you all wait to do the double feature next year.  I don't know.  My brain is leaning against, but my heart doesn't want my brain to be right.

Last thought - OW record will last less than 13 months.  Avengers 4 will break the OW record next year.  It may break the previews record, too.  I can't imagine anyone who saw this and liking this waiting.  I see round the clock Thursday and Friday night viewings everywhere.

This is exactly why I don't think the legs will be great, this is not child friendly at all. 

• Like 2

Year Gross* 2018
% change
% change
% change
% change
% change
% change
2018 $3,831.8 - +3.7% +9.0% +17.9% +21.1% +32.1%
2017 $3,696.5 -3.5% - +5.1% +13.8% +16.8% +27.4%
2016 $3,516.6 -8.2% -4.9% - +8.2% +11.1% +21.2%
2015 $3,249.5 -15.2% -12.1% -7.6% - +2.7% +12.0%
2014 $3,164.9 -17.4% -14.4% -10.0% -2.6% - +9.1%
2013 $2,901.1 -24.3% -21.5% -17.5% -10.7% -8.3% -

I believe 2018 was off by about 3% before this weekend, and IW should make more than enough during the weekdays to offset Guardians 2's OW.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

This will get repeat viewing from guys...

Was jokes yesterday at a restaurant 8 mid 20 year old guys discussing power levels of the characters.

yeah not surprised they have vegeta in their company

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

What, that WW won't happen with that DOM, this movie will gross more than a Billion OS.

It already is at 380M without China (and Russia) after the OW.

Even if it just slightly more than doubles that that is 800M without China and Russsian and with those two it most likely will be above 1.1+B Os so total would be 1.7+B

Should have specified that WW is definitely a minimum, DOM probably too. I was just using A1's 40/60% DOM/OS split to get an estimate. A 30/70% split would put it to 2B with a 630M DOM total. 

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

This is exactly why I don't think the legs will be great, this is not child friendly at all. 

Maybe.  Demographically, grown males have the money, other demographics have less of it.  If you can tap them out, it might make up for it.  Who needs children when you have grown manchildren  =)

• Haha 1