CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

5 minutes ago, REC said:

You'd be right, except I don't think this is just a superhero movie.  There's more going on here than just that.  That categorization would be correct in almost any other scenario.  And I can't say anything more about that without getting into the story and plot of this thing.  =)

Be interesting to watch it play out. 2012 Avengers is $705m after inflation. Assuming Disney has lowballed the Sunday projection by about $5m, Infinity War would be about $20m ahead of TA1 after 3 days. That's a good head start on the mission to reach $700m. 

• Like 1

Man this is just incredible! When TFA came out and just annihilated the record, I figured that'd be something that wouldn't be broken for like a decade. At least a good 5 years anyway. I'm a sw and marvel fan, but marvel has always been my favorite since I was a kid, so I'm so happy for iw! I knew it'd be big, but I didn't know it would be this big. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, REC said:

The content, buildup, and meaning of this movie to the fans will guarantee it does not have weak legs.  This movie is designed for repeat viewings, and obsessive commentary.  To me 700m is now on lock.  I don't think there's anything here that will make this a TLJ type of situation.

"Designed for the fans" is the exact opposite of the type of content that guarantees legs

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

"Designed for the fans" is the exact opposite of the type of content that guarantees legs

Marvel has successfully generated a broad swath of casual fans over the past decade.  I'm using the term loosely.

Edited by REC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, REC said:

Marvel has successfully generated a broad swath of casual fans over the past decade.  I'm using the term loosely.

yes and the Marvel movies with good legs are the ones which are approachable and appreciated by the ppl who dont fit into that category

• Like 1

Seems like some people are conflating a movie's gross with a movie's quality. AIW isn't the best film in this weekend's top two, let alone the weekend's top ten where at least three films are better than it. Was it an impressive opening? Yes. Is it a great film? No.

Edited by LonePirate
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

yes and the Marvel movies with good legs are the ones which are approachable and appreciated by the ppl who dont fit into that category

Yeah I dunno.  I think they're still generating new fans and increasing their audience, especially and including the last movie (BP) and this movie.  I don't think you can look at this in terms of even 2 or 3 years ago, that information is out of date.

• Like 1

Just now, REC said:

Yeah I dunno.  I think they're still generating new fans and increasing their audience, especially and including the last movie (BP) and this movie.  I don't think you can look at this in terms of even 2 or 3 years ago, that information is out of date.

I think you can! But we'll see

Not sure that ppl who only saw Panther before this are gonna have the same reaction the broader fans have to this, btw

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Seems like some people are conflating a movie's gross with a movie's quality. AIW isn't the best film in this weekend's top two, let alone the weekend's top ten where at least three films are better than it. Was it an impressive opening? Yes. Is it a great film? No.

Yawn.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

we need more people like Pirate so we can hit an equilibrium, it's marvel guys wake up

• Haha 4

Just now, Chewy said:

I think you can! But we'll see

Not sure that ppl who only saw Panther before this are gonna have the same reaction the broader fans have to this, btw

I agree with you on that, I don't think they will either.  This is obviously not a BP movie and it doesn't have that kind of significance.  I just think something else is at play that will blow up the numbers here, not just the big opening but the long legs as well.  I made posts in the past where I thought this movie was gonna be 1.7-1.8bn total.  Now having seen it and given the weekend, I feel like that was a lowball.  I'm just on the bullish side.

28 minutes ago, Tree said:

Yeah, it is. This would need like 1.4B os which is never going to happen

I wouldn’t say never.  IW opened 100M above TFA and that movie has 1.1B.  If we only look at summer movies, it opened 62M above JW and that has 1B.  It’s going to be a hard road....but it’s not impossible.

Edited by MJL
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

You're obviously in the minority. Why can't you just let the fans enjoy it? Instead of just trying to rain on others parade

• Like 3