CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Seems like some people are conflating a movie's gross with a movie's quality. AIW isn't the best film in this weekend's top two, let alone the weekend's top ten where at least three films are better than it. Was it an impressive opening? Yes. Is it a great film? No.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Marvel's running out of characters tho, I mean Black Panther and Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel are the last of the properties Feige's been talking about from the beginni*buys X-Men*

F4 opens things up for the future too

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

F4 opens things up for the future too

I'm really looking forward to an MCU Fantastic Four. It's a perfect fit for the franchise as far as tone goes and plus it the possibilities with characters like Silver Surfer and Galactus will make things very interesting.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Black panther 1.5 million behind TLJ, worldwide. 2 marvel movies beating the latest Star Wars main sequel in the span of a few months.:sparta:

The power of films that are well liked (I also liked TLJ, but most didn't) and emerging markets and doing everything right (BP was a cultural event, TLJ basically just a SW film (okay that is a cultural event itself))

14 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Black panther 1.5 million behind TLJ, worldwide. 2 marvel movies beating the latest Star Wars main sequel in the span of a few months.:sparta:

Why downplay a movie? I‘d say every movie did quiet well, maybe TLJ‘s audience reception will get better over time like it was for ESB, if not that‘s okay. I love it and I liked the 2 last Mervel movies.

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

The power of films that are well liked (I also liked TLJ, but most didn't) and emerging markets and doing everything right (BP was a cultural event, TLJ basically just a SW film (okay that is a cultural event itself))

The Main Saga episodes yes, but this thing called Solo: A Star Wars Story might change that :lol:

Off-Topic, but i cringed so hard at the Solo trailer before Infinity War. Here in Germany they gave Ehrenreich the voice actor who usually voices Chris Pratt. So im not seeing and hearing Han Solo, i just see Star-Lord. Its so incredibly irritating :ohmygod:

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

we are talking about $2.78b right? That's a BILLION more than the value you mentioned

if they were to adjust Avatar to 2018 I am pretty sure its overall foreign total would drop. In 2009 the dollar hit rock bottom which acted as a major multiplier for Avatar's grosses. I ran the math back in early 2016, but if currency exchange rates had remained the same TFA would have surpassed Avatar WW by about 100 million. There were certain markets for Avatar that were massive like Brazil where it took in 58 million, but in mid 2015 their market and currency collapsed and TFA could not even scrounge 1/2 of what Avatar did. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Nothing more annoying in box office reporting than reporters that refer to theater count as screen count. This happens way too often. The film has 4,474 theaters. Probably 90-95% of these theaters are megaplex locations playing the film on multiple screens. Some might even be playing it on 8-10 screens at the really big megaplex locations. Overall it's likely playing on about 15,000 screens across the domestic market. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Why downplay a movie? I‘d say every movie did quiet well, maybe TLJ‘s audience reception will get better over time like it was for ESB, if not that‘s okay. I love it and I liked the 2 last Mervel movies.

Just stating a fact that shows marvel’s amazing success , nothing wrong with that. 

6 hours ago, Sam said:

How can you call yourself SpideyFreak and not remember Spider-Man 3 as the one breaking the 150M barrier? (especially when you did remember SM1) :P

How can I call myself SpideyFreak and actually acknowledge Spider-Man 3 even when it deserves to be acknowledged? :P 

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

also batman forever was the first movie to open to $50m not batman '89. what kinda hack job is this?!?

I was asleep the next minute after making that post, so shouldn't have been expected to correctly remember which of those really old movies (tm :spidey:) broke the record. At least the point of the post was true. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jjack339 said:

if they were to adjust Avatar to 2018 I am pretty sure its overall foreign total would drop. In 2009 the dollar hit rock bottom which acted as a major multiplier for Avatar's grosses. I ran the math back in early 2016, but if currency exchange rates had remained the same TFA would have surpassed Avatar WW by about 100 million. There were certain markets for Avatar that were massive like Brazil where it took in 58 million, but in mid 2015 their market and currency collapsed and TFA could not even scrounge 1/2 of what Avatar did. 

Fascinating.