CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

24 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

F4 opens things up for the future too

I can’t wait for them to come out of The Negative Zone they’ve been in for the past eight years, and just be like: 

:wintf:

14 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Why downplay a movie? I‘d say every movie did quiet well, maybe TLJ‘s audience reception will get better over time like it was for ESB, if not that‘s okay. I love it and I liked the 2 last Mervel movies.

No it won't. Comparing TLJ with ESB is probably the falsest of equivalences in the history of cinema. The prequel trilogy is what TLJ genuinely compares to. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

No it won't. Comparing TLJ with ESB is probably the falsest of equivalences in the history of cinema. The prequel trilogy is what TLJ genuinely compares to. 

The prequel trilogy has aged like a fine wine. It is so much better now. You can now watch it as a comedy and it's fucking hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like The Last Jedi but I'm not going to predict a reappraisal just because I dug it. I hate when fanboys do that. According to them every divisive film is going to be beloved in the future. Even fans of absolute dreck like Batman v Superman claim that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tree said:

The prequel trilogy has aged like a fine wine. It is so much better now. You can now watch it as a comedy and it's fucking hilarious.

Well, in that sense TLJ will age handsomely too. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HeyItsMoses said:

No one here thinks it can outgross Black Panther?

The next 2 days will be an early sign of legs.  Most here seem to think Sunday is being lowballed so if its sunday drop is the same as TA1's, it gets 68m(257m OW) and if its monday drop is the same from there as TA1's, it gets 23m.  If that happens its highly likely it will.

Edited by Ozymandias

2 minutes ago, Dark Prince said:

Haha, I didn't notice that. BOM has it at 1331.3m. Wonder which one is a typo?

Neither are typos, boxofficemojo's OS number just doesn't include what it has made since last Sunday yet.

Edited by Ephemeris

Looks like my prediction is coming true albeit not a 300M+ OW but still 250M x 4 = 1B DOM and 2B OS = 3B WW. Avatar is going down finally. And we have a sequel to IW the following year which we won't have to wait over 10 years+ for. :shades:

Edited by DMan7

Lord have Marcy at that Sat Number.  To me that was the number that really did it.  I don't think record would of fell without Sat increasing like that over "Jurassic World".  It's like Sat played out like an OD since as some where saying school was in Friday.   A Little under or past TLJ was were my head was at, especially after I saw the Friday Number land the same as TLJ but again that Sat exploded something crazy.   So I will give props were props is due.  Taking down the Sat and Sun record is definitely huge.  Didn't see 250 happening, 225-230 was the max I saw because 65-70 was the highest I thought it could get Sat.   I saw the film Friday Morning OD and I did enjoy it much more than "Ultron" and I was sure that ending was going to get people talking at the very least.  There were issues I had though but not enough to ruin the film.   Globally Avengers has always done Gangbusters, Part 1 did over 800 OS and Ultron did close to a Billion. 

With that opening without China than 1 Billion OS is definitely in the cards.   As for Legs?  I thinking Monday will tell us much more but it has 2 more weekends to clean up before DP2.   We know that BP and TFA Monday's were amazing but TLJ did about 21 Million Monday after that huge OW.   So the question is does this play out like most Marvel Sequels as far as multiplier?   Well 10 years in the making and all the fans definitely came out.   The Holdovers dropped hard as we expected but AQP and BP held fantastically.   BP seemed to have gotten an Avengers Bump, 700 is only 12 million away, wow.  The most ironic thing I find about this weekend is The Avengers Trilogy is playing out like both previous Star Wars Trilogies with the 3rd increasing from the 2nd (Episode IX I can also see keeping the pattern and increasing over TLJ in 19').  But Salute to Marvel for a Decade of Box Office Excellence.   

18 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Yeah if anything the opposite is true.  TLJ gets worse with age, and unfortunately has the ability to retroactively make the other SW movies worse by making all the character inconsistencies more obvious (the more it is absorbed and known).

I'd be the first to say that visually the movie is fantastic.  If you're looking for beautiful imagery it's got a ton (Rian Johnson's DP did fantastic work).  It's not without positives, but there's no way TLJ is going to be looked back on fondly.  I'm pretty sure at some point, someone involved will just come out and say "yeah, we screwed up.  We made a mistake".

Edited by REC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HeyItsMoses said:

No one here thinks it can outgross Black Panther?

I'm hoping to see this have a multiplier similar to JW. I mean, if it's opening weekend is just as surprising as JW was, why can't it's run be similar?

With a $254m ow (cause you know, it's gonna go up with actuals), i'd love to see it's dom total be at $793m. 

I think it will. I know that most comic-book movies tend to be front-loaded, but that is not always the case. For a film that has pushed the limits of OW gross, there surely must be lots of momentum left. 

A real worry though, is the big competition coming up from Solo and Deadpool 2. BP did not have any remotely serious competition during its entire useful run.