CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, REC said:

Yeah if anything the opposite is true.  TLJ gets worse with age, and unfortunately has the ability to retroactively make the other SW movies worse by making all the character inconsistencies more obvious (the more it is absorbed and known).

I'd be the first to say that visually the movie is fantastic.  If you're looking for beautiful imagery it's got a ton.  It's not without positives, but there's no way TLJ is going to be looked back on fondly.  I'm pretty sure at some point, someone involved will just come out and say "yeah, we screwed up.  We made a mistake".

What I'm wondering is when will Disney confess they aren't really going to let Rian Johnson make a trilogy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me personally I don't like the inflation argument when it comes to any film. Infinity Wars got the opening weekend record and it has the dollar amount to prove it. In my opinion who cares what something adjust to. There are so many mitigating factors when it comes to adjusting figures that it's just better to enjoy the accomplishment of what the film made strictly from a dollar standpoint. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

What I'm wondering is when will Disney confess they aren't really going to let Rian Johnson make a trilogy.

Yeah that one for sure is almost certainly going to be a slow burn.  They can't admit defeat on this one or any errors, too much is riding on the business to admit that now.  Probably the time to begin the mea culpa (or soft landings, or ends of contracts etc) will be sometime in mid-2020, after the completion of this trilogy.  Until then I doubt they'll announce any changes at all.

4 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

A real worry though, is the big competition coming up from Solo and Deadpool 2. BP did not have any remotely serious competition during its entire useful run. 

Holy shit I completely forgot a new Star Wars movie is coming out so soon.   Deadpool absolutely, but is there really that much buzz for Solo?  Its going to be the first SW movie I don't see in a theater since I've been alive.

21 minutes ago, Dark Prince said:

Because that's wrong. TLJ is at 1332.8m. But it will pass it soon.

The day I've always waited for is here! I've finally met someone who's worse at math than I am!  :therethere:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Holy shit I completely forgot a new Star Wars movie is coming out so soon.   Deadpool absolutely, but is there really that much buzz for Solo?  Its going to be the first SW movie I don't see in a theater since I've been alive.

There's not as much buzz as TLJ of course but I'd say buzz in the SW community is close to Rogue One a month out. It should be able to do $120 million opening weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I don't know whether Solo has generated great buzz, but still, I think we can safely expect big, if not record-breaking numbers. In any case, it will be way bigger than Wrinkle In Time, Tomb Raider and Pacific Rim 2 that Black Panther had the good fortune of facing. 

7 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Top ten DOM :hahaha:

Black Panther BV $684,902,489 4,084 $202,003,951 4,020 2/16 -
2 A Quiet Place Par. $140,793,301 3,808 $50,203,562 3,508 4/6 -
3 Ready Player One WB $128,893,218 4,234 $41,764,050 4,234 3/29 -
4 Peter Rabbit Sony $114,403,694 3,725 $25,010,928 3,725 2/9 -
5 Avengers: Infinity War BV $105,967,000 4,474 N/A 4,474 4/27 -
6 Fifty Shades Freed Uni. $100,407,760 3,768 $38,560,195 3,768 2/9 4/5
7 A Wrinkle in Time BV $94,154,046 3,980 $33,123,609 3,980 3/9 -
8 I Can Only Imagine RAtt. $80,521,585 2,894 $17,108,914 1,629 3/16 -
9 Rampage (2018) WB (NL) $72,605,557 4,115 $35,753,093 4,101 4/13 -
10 Game Night WB (NL) $68,264,981 3,502 $17,005,332 3,488 2/23 -

MCU will hit a billion off of 1st and 2nd place while 2-8 are still below a billion combined. Seems decent.

• Like 1

April is now at $978M, could get to $980M+ after actuals.

Should beat last years total by at least $200M

Yearly we are up 3.7% at $3,832M, should even out a bit by next weekend but should be above last year still.

3 minutes ago, Talkie said:

The day I've always waited for is here! I've finally met someone who's worse at math than I am!  :therethere:

I think IW will pass TLJ total gross in 1 month of release, but mostly on the back of WW tickets obviously.

• Community Manager
9 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Even if it has amazing reviews?

I think Solos buzz is muted because even the people who are anticipating it know that its the most unneccessary SW movie ever. Im a big fat SW (and especially TLJ) fan, but i dont think i will see Solo in the theater. Anecdotical, i know, but i think many people feel that way.

Edit: What could save my personal hype for Solo are the reviews, if they are really great. But i expect a reception more in the "its a fun blockbuster"-region and that wouldnt excite me.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1