CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, iHeartJames said:

If im not mistaken Wonder Woman really took Logan's shine I mean Logan did end up with the Oscar nom so yeah

I am really curious how Ms Marvel is gonna do now.  :D Let's see how Marvel handles a superhero which is potentially as powerful as Superman.

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

with a 73m Sunday, TA1 drop gives it a 25m Monday.  But IW held even better than TA1 did on Sunday so...

Discount Tuesday is also a bigger deal now than 2012, so maybe a bigger Monday drop and then of course much better Tuesday hold. TA1 dropped 6.5% Tuesday. Would think Infinity will increase by around 20%. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Discount Tuesday is also a bigger deal now than 2012, so maybe a bigger Monday drop and then of course much better Tuesday hold. TA1 dropped 6.5% Tuesday. Would think Infinity will increase by around 20%. 

Yeah, but don't forget, lots of sells outs. For some people, its about wanting to watch that movie NOW rather than wait till discount Tuesday. :D  

4 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

It got an adapted screenplay nomination though. 

= means nothing. Logan won jack shit at the Oscars. Probably the same dudes bragging on SS for winning an Oscar. SS was still a pos

16 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I'm watching @GraceRandolph on youtube talk about IW box office and while I am no expert it is clear that she is so clueless. The NFL draft did not effect the thursday/Friday #s:gold:

Shes a joke. She said early in black panthers run that if it truly wanted to be special it would need to make 2B. And she insists that the numbers are soft overseas because of the domestic/overseas split percentage wise even though BP made more overseas than the vast majority of MCU movies sans team ups.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

New openers don’t increase much on first Tuesday though.

I think Tuesday is more likely flat or 5% increase at best.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eldenfirefly said:

Yeah, but don't forget, lots of sells outs. For some people, its about wanting to watch that movie NOW rather than wait till discount Tuesday. :D  

I know people who couldn't get into any screenings today so are seeing it tomorrow evening too. Basically it's a watercooler movie and they just don't wanna miss out. 

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

TFA’s OW seemed like the untouchable holy grail when it occurred. 

I disagree. That movie came out in mid-December when openings are deflated by Christmas shopping. Judging by the insane legs on TFA, it could have gone a lot higher on opening weekend. I think with a summer release it would have been north of $275m, maybe even pushing $300m. Summer = bigger opening, weaker legs. December = smaller opening, stronger legs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eldenfirefly said:

I am really curious how Ms Marvel is gonna do now.  :D Let's see how Marvel handles a superhero which is potentially as powerful as Superman.

*ehem* That's CAPTAIN Marvel. She didn't go to Captain school to be called Ms, thank you very much!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I disagree. That movie came out in mid-December when openings are deflated by Christmas shopping. Judging by the insane legs on TFA, it could have gone a lot higher on opening weekend. I think with a summer release it would have been north of $275m, maybe even pushing $300m. Summer = bigger opening, weaker legs. December = smaller opening, stronger legs. 

I am sorry but I don't buy that line of thinking.

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Unfortunately no.  Tribute used to keep track of this stuff.  Now they don't.  The only way to get it is from a source like RTH or from Rentrak.

forgot totals

I know Avengers was top from 2012 to the TFA.

Before that DH2.

Before that, I guess Spider man 3. 

18 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The fact that it did this with "only" $39M in previews is what's blowing my mind. Hopefully people don't start panicking next year if Avengers 4 previews don't seem that high compared to Star Wars or DH2

Anyways all this box office talk is wanting me to watch the movie again tonight haha

At least I've found a new soundtrack to study with in Silvestri's Avengers Infinity War score

Its funny but I had the assumption before the weekend that whether IW broke the OW record or not, A4 won't open as high because marketing would've shot their bolt with the "THIS IS IT!" hype. Hell we've had debates on these boards whether it'll backfire or not. 

Now I'm pretty certain A4 will open above $200+ million next year. Which means this Avengers franchise, 3 of 4 movies doing that and obviously AOU still came pretty close to joining them if not for (cue routine excuses used on BOT.) All 4 will be billion dollar hits. That's incredible. 

• Like 1

It is rather crazy that we all assumed TFA managed that OW due to so many years of anticipation and Star Wars being gone for a while, yet now we have a movie that beat it and the previous film in the franchise just came out 2 months ago lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJsooner said:

= means nothing. Logan won jack shit at the Oscars. Probably the same dudes bragging on SS for winning an Oscar. SS was still a pos

yes being the only SH movie to ever get a screenplay nom means nothing lol

and don't act like Logan's screenplay nomination and SS's makeup Oscar is anywhere near the same thing.  SS is a terrible movie, but bad movies get makeup recognition all the time

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

And Galactus and silver surfer

Not too crazy about galactus. Silver surfer has the potential to be the cosmic black panther, a very cool , majestic and different marvel character.