CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Here in Europe (especially in Germany and Austria), Lion King is maybe THE movie of my generation. Lots of people watch Marvel films, a lot more people watch Harry Potter, most people watch Star Wars/LOTR - but everyone knows and watched The Lion King. If that Remake can really deliver - unlike BatB 17' imo - it could set the world on fire.

Yeah, but this

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Lion King is way more difficult to pull off than any other Disney adaptation IMO, the riskiest project in their current pipeline.

is my greatest worry, if they f**k it up, I think it could totally crash Dom ($250M) and in UK ($25M) and Germany (like 1.2M admissions, so $17M) and in that case there is no need to talk about any other country,

or if they put everything into it (so great film, great Trailers, generate Hype and for Germany not so sunny and warm weather, so that isn't that unlikely at the end of July:lol:) the sky is the limit.

Because it is the film (and the musical is incredible successful too).

I just hope the film will be as good as @EmpireCity suggested in his comment about the concept.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Do they? Avengers have been around since the 1960's.

I guess for a small group of comic book devotees. I personally had no idea it was a thing whereas I was aware of Star Wars from practically the time I had consciousness.

• Like 2

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Heck an Iron Man film was in development as far as back as 1990. There was always interest in these characters, the technology just wasn't there, and it's remarkable how fast things have evolved. A lot of people were skeptical of an Avengers film initially, and now we have three. 

Spider-Man took ages for the same reason. It wasn't that surprising that the characters rights which were sold off were Spider-Man, X-Men and Hulk as they were at the time the most popular Marvel characters. 

At one point, New Line Cinema had Iron Man rights along with Blade but this was long before they had been absorbed into Warner Bros. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taruseth said:

Yeah, but this

is my greatest worry, if they f**k it up, I think it could totally crash Dom ($250M) and in UK ($25M) and Germany (like 1.2M admissions, so $17M) and in that case there is no need to talk about any other country,

or if they put everything into it (so great film, great Trailers, generate Hype and for Germany not so sunny and warm weather, so that isn't that unlikely at the end of July:lol:) the sky is the limit.

Because it is the film (and the musical is incredible successful too).

I just hope the film will be as good as @EmpireCity suggested in his comment about the concept.

Of course everything depends on its quality. But the potential for a record-breaking performance is certainly there.

• Like 1

Yeah if The Lion King is nailed right, marketed right (which it will be) it's got a shot (domestic opening weekend); i wouldn't be surprised if it hit a 275 million opening or something crazy like that. I'd be shocked if it opened below 200 million. Kids, Grownups, the soundtrack. I don't wanna get TOO hyperbolic but the argument could be made The Lion King live action is like the "Force Awakens" of the animated live action adapted movies that are gonna come out.

Edited by jaybox
  • Like 2

Just now, jaybox said:

Yeah if The Lion King is nailed right, marketed right (which it will be) it's got a shot (domestic opening weekend); i wouldn't be surprised if it hit a 275 million opening or something crazy like that. I'd be shocked if it opened below 200 million. Kids, Grownups, the soundtrack. I don't wanna get TOO hyperbolic but the argument could be made The Lion King live action is like the "Force Awakens" of animated live action movies that are gonna come out.

It also has the most universal appeal out of any film basically. There's no demographic that is left out aside from maybe those that dislike musicals. As incredibly successful Beauty and the Beast was, it definitely skewed female.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NGGKroze said:

My bet is between 660-780M, which is Huge

The number two three of four film of all time is huge?  You don't say.  :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Do they? Avengers have been around since the 1960's.

This statement moves the discussion out of an apples vs apples territory.

The conversation as I was following it was about cinematic appeal and the generations it covers.

In that context Star Wars has Jurassic beat and it in turn has the MCU(Avengers) brand beaten.

Let's not get crazy with trying to re-write history. Prior to 2008 Iron Man was little known outside of comicdom. A failed 90s cartoon, long forgotten 60s "moving panel" shorts and a few action figures as part of a larger line do not make Iron Man or the Avengers as a whole engrained in the masses group conscious. 

Iron Man was a risky film, with a risky lead but an upstart studio flying into the headwinds of a Nolan Batman saga still in theaters. 

Infinity War using Fury's voiceover is a throw back to remind viewers of what was prophetically said. It wasn't a nostalgia move on marketings part cause it is too short a span of time to be categorically nostalgic. It hasn't even been one full generation removed. A generation last I heard was a span of time 13-20 years depending on variables. 

Infinity Wars success is due to solid casting with characters they made us care about with a threat we could believe would get the upper hand. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Yeah if The Lion King is nailed right, marketed right (which it will be) it's got a shot (domestic opening weekend); i wouldn't be surprised if it hit a 275 million opening or something crazy like that. I'd be shocked if it opened below 200 million. Kids, Grownups, the soundtrack. I don't wanna get TOO hyperbolic but the argument could be made The Lion King live action is like the "Force Awakens" of the animated live action adapted movies that are gonna come out.

I don’t think it’ll have the drive necessary to do $275m opening weeken. Will it be huge? Yes. I’m saying $210 million though. Everyone knows the story and outcome so it won’t be a TFA or IW situation of worrying about spoilers. 

Its domestic total though could be $700 million or more. 

Edited by The Mad Titan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Mad Titan said:

I don’t think it’ll have the drive necessary to do $275m opening weeken. Will it be his? Yes. I’m saying $210 million though. Everyone knows the story and outcome so it won’t be a TFA or IW situation of worrying about spoilers. 

Its domestic total though could be $700 million or more. 

Didn’t stop BATB from busting over 170m OW.  TLK is much more popular across demos than it too.

• Like 1

Marvel's upperhand has always largely been about them spending their films making their characters likable. It's baffles me when other studios don't find likable Superheroes to be important in these type of films. Wonder Woman doesn't get a 4.0 multi if the title character and actress aren't charming. Even Hugh Jackman's supposedly dark and broody Wolverine is charming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Didn’t stop BATB from busting over 170m OW.  TLK is much more popular across demos than it too.

Yes that’s why I gave it $40 million more Opening Weekend. Giving it $100 million more is a bit much, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1