CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

No one should make that much money for anything on the planet as long as millions of kids go to bed hungry every night in America alone. He seems like a fine guy but why in the world does anyone need that much money? No one needs 10 million in their entire lifetime, much less 100 million for one movie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

No one should make that much money for anything on the planet as long as millions of kids go to bed hungry every night in America alone. He seems like a fine guy but why in the world does anyone need that much money? No one needs 10 million in their entire lifetime, much less 100 million for one movie. 

So you can buy dumb shit like $75,000 chains (a reference to this thread's beginnings!).

Preview to OD Multipliers:
Avengers - 4.322
Iron Man 3 - 4.414
Age of Ultron - 3.059
Civil War - 3.020
Black Panther - 3.014

Marvel films have become far more frontloaded than they used to be. I'd be SHOCKED if this got a 3.0 multi for the previews. $117 is the absolute max it will do today. Probably closer to $110 mil OD.

Now for the Preview to OW Multipliers:
Avengers - 11.09
Iron Man 3 - 11.163
Age of Ultron - 6.93
Civil War - 7.166
Black Panther - 8.016

If it matched AOU, that would put it at $270 mil OW. But it will probably go lower, I'd say closer to 6.5, but that would put it at $253.5 mil OW.

Gonna be close.

So the Preview to OD Multiplier was an ESTIMATED 2.717. And the Preview to OW Multiplier was an ESTIMATED 6.62. So I was pretty dead on. But those are the two worst numbers Marvel has ever had.

Ultron had a 2.4 multi for the OW to Total, Civil War had a 2.28 multi, and Black Panther has had a 3.4! multi.

I'd think this is headed to around a 2.5, maybe 2.6. So the final total is PROBABLY going to be around $645 mil - $671 mil.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

check out some delusional Terrence Howard interviews about how he got Downey the part and is owed 100 million.  His loss was Don Cheadle's gain for sure...bad move.  But I do agree with what you're saying

Oh man, I think about Terrance Howard every time there's a big War Machine scene in an MCU movie. I mean, I get that he was a critical darling around the time they were casting the first Iron Man, having starred in two big Oscar movies in 2005. He probably thought (or at least the people advising him thought) he was going to become a massive movie star. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, baumer said:

Could the two IW movies cost a billion?  And did RDJ really ask for and receive 200 million for the two films?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/10/12/why-cant-avengers-infinity-war-cost-1-billion/#5d7f8bea1c83

No, Forbes was (2 and half years ago) quoting a junk article from Bleeding Cool News which was running a spate of them during the time right after the Ike ouster by Feige.  They got their "info" at a bar during the NY Comic Con convention from some disgruntled members of the ousted NY Committee and hanger ons.   There were a bunch of anti Feige articles coming out from them

Aside from that the story is ridiculous  You don't film movies back to back to spend $200m more on EACH one than the one you just previously did (AOU) and RDJ doesn't get a straight lump salary from The Avengers movies.

RDJ's salary got huge because he got a negotiated % of  Avengers and IM3 and no one knew at the time how huge those films would be.  He kept getting that huge salary because he earns it. He's also very supportive of and generous with the cast  - they completely adore him.

Also, to put his Avengers salary in perspective, Sandra Bullock earned about the same for Gravity with her back end % and the movie made half as much.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Well, yes. In an ideal world a teacher would earn 20 times what an entertainer does, but in this one I don't see why they'd have to give up money if they can take it. Why are they taken to task as if fixing inequality was their job? 

Edited by Kraken
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Eh...Im not sure how much of that article I believe.

The right answer is none of it.

But then there are always folks who read and believe these things so well...

• Like 2

On 10/04/2018 at 1:00 PM, IronJimbo said:

whose that

We're looking at about 700m DOM here I think, probably edges past the opening weekend record with about $260m

empire city who

Edited by IronJimbo

1 hour ago, baumer said:

RDJ's greed at this point is staggering.  I realize he is the most popular Avenger, but how about splitting up the money so that all the cast members are well compensated?  

A $1 taken from RDJ goes to Marvel. Not to any other actor/actress.

Knowing that MCU is on top of their game, I would be shocked if RDJ wasn't on some sort of a profit share agreement where his compensation is tied to the success of the movie.

It's like when you hear CEOs making hundreds of millions of dollars and realize that most of it is locked up into company stock for a long period of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Not that it matters in any way but what's the break even estimate for this movie?

Wikipedia says production budget of $320m. Throw in $150m for worldwide marketing and distribution. That's $470m total cost. So maybe around $900m in pure box office required to break even. But that does not account for all the easy revenue they will make on home video sales and TV rights, etc. Not to mention the huge royalties they are getting from advertisements with promotional partners (food companies, car companies, etc).

• Like 2