CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Because your stance doesn't make any sense in our current realty.  Why do people always blame entertainers or athletes for making a lot of money as if the Billionaires paying them are undergoing some hardship and would give that money to the poor and struggling instead.

Oh, I don't. I think Lebron James deserves his money 10000000000x more than Jeff Bezos, for example. You guys are misinterpreting me. I think an athlete or actor deserves their money more than any other rich person on the planet due to what they contribute to our society - I just also don't believe that people should be that rich at all. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh I don't necessarily believe the article at all. I don't think he should even be making 10 million dollars. That's a general point. Doesn't make me think he's evil or all rich actors or athletes that I love are evil, I just fundamentally believe that no one should have that much money, whether it's 10 million a movie or 100 million. And the same goes triply for corporations - Disney should be re-invest most of the money for this back into projects/employee payments (which much of it does go to!) and pay the rest in taxes, not hoard it or give bonuses. 

That's not his problem though. Realistically, the government should be taxing him more but this America and we have an oaf in office.

• Like 3

Just now, Rebeccas said:

That's not his problem though. Realistically, the government should be taxing him more but this America and we have an oaf in office.

Now this, I agree with. I'd take the money if I was RDJ (and donate it). But I'm also not gonna defend dude or feel sorry for him, either. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Oh I don't necessarily believe the article at all. I don't think he should even be making 10 million dollars. That's a general point. Doesn't make me think he's evil or all rich actors or athletes that I love are evil, I just fundamentally believe that no one should have that much money, whether it's 10 million a movie or 100 million. And the same goes triply for corporations - Disney should be re-invest most of the money for this back into projects/employee payments (which much of it does go to!) and pay the rest in taxes, not hoard it or give bonuses. 

Then express yourself better (you seem capable of it) instead of throwing bullshit insults and accusations disguised through some moral high ground at people who don’t agree or even people who just states their doubt about these “news”

Like I said, your earlier post that I quoted is bull and you know it.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Individuals AND corporations should not be allowed to make that much money. There's literally no reason for it. I've been pretty damn vocal on these boards how sick Disney's merger/money hoarding makes me. 

So universal salary caps should start with RDJ, the guy who plays Iron Man? 

Like that would change anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Dude, you're really missing the point. Disney should not make the money they make either. All that money should be redistributed back into society.

Enough politics, this is off track. I just don't like the argument "oh, he only made 10 million instead of 100 million, that's okay"

I'm not missing the point. I get Marx.  I'm a card carrying lefty.  But it's a ridiculous statement to complain about someone getting that money in the environment we live in when that environment isn't changing any time soon.  The only alternative to his getting paid huge bucks in our actual reality is that the Corp make more profit off his work and he makes less.   That's it.  That does not make him greedy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Dude, you're really missing the point. Disney should not make the money they make either. All that money should be redistributed back into society.

Enough politics, this is off track. I just don't like the argument "oh, he only made 10 million instead of 100 million, that's okay"

Ironically, the reason they do it's because entertainment became a mass consumption industry due to not only a tiny elite having disposable income for leisure. 

• Like 1

Anything who thinks there should be a cap on how much money a citizen can make doesn't like the concept of a free society or free market. Compensation is a cornerstone of Capitalism and the basic motivator to work your ass off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sam said:

Remain to be seen later on, but I think this movie definitely has the “you gotta see it to believe it” factor like some mentioned yesterday.

Since Saturday, I already have like 3 of my friends asking me what’s the deal with Infinity War that cause people to go all crazy and cryptic on Snapchat/Instagram lol.

Curiosity factor could help with the 2nd weekend drop, especially when there’s basically nothing else new out right now.

I know people who aren't really huge on superhero films that went out of their way to see IW opening week and, according to their testimony, bawled in the theater. And they passed the word on - "you gotta see it, just for the ending and the funny moments". This film is doing something to people, and now that it broke all of the OW records except the OS opening record (and that's solely because China was MIA; otherwise, that record would've been trashed as well), it's gonna be in the spotlight even more. Twitter is hilarious too - there's like HUNDREDS of people who have renamed themselves such things as "IW killed me" or "Post Infinity War Disorder" or all that overreacting jazz.... but everyone says the movie's amazing. Black Panther aside, I haven't seen this much mass hysteria about a movie since.... fuck, Force Awakens maybe? Ok, maybe Get Out or Wonder Woman, since they were really important socio-cultural events as well.

Honestly, you know what might really be a part of this huge massive thunderstorm of success.... besides obvious factors like rave wom (from GA's; though critics were still positive on it), 10 years of hype and, let's be honest, a bit of a free ride given by Black Panther's juggernaut success (IW is, in this sense, the anti-Justice League, using the smash solo movie to its advantage rather than not being helped at all)? The #ThanosDemandsYourSilence stunt, which really emphasized people to not give spoilers under any circumstances. I think it might have transcended beyond just the attention of Marvel's fanbase if an event this massive really was this closed in a box and hidden in secrecy.

I wanna watch it again, but right now, I'd have IW in my top 3 Phase 3 movies, just below Panther and GOTG Vol. 2. #7 in general for all of the MCU, losing to GOTG Vol. 1, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Iron Man and those two I mentioned.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Then express yourself better (you seem capable of it) instead of throwing bullshit insults and accusations disguised through some moral high ground at people who don’t agree or even people who just states their doubt about these “news”

Like I said, your earlier post that I quoted is bull and you know it.

But there was people white knighting for the dude. It isn't bull. Like, maybe he makes 10 million instead of 100 million. Whoope doo! Who cares? That's still alot of money. Why go to the mat defending him over 90 million bucks? That's what debunking the article so vehemently means. I only even said that because people misrepresented my original post. But good on him for donating to charity and getting his cast raises, seriously. 

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So universal salary caps should start with RDJ, the guy who plays Iron Man? 

Like that would change anything.

I never once possibly said this. He was just an example of a larger problem. 

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I'm not missing the point. I get Marx.  I'm a card carrying lefty.  But it's a ridiculous statement to complain about someone getting that money in the environment we live in when that environment isn't changing any time soon.  The only alternative to his getting paid huge bucks in our actual reality is that the Corp make more profit off his work and he makes less.   That's it.  That does not make him greedy.

I don't think it's ridiculous. I complain about rich people making that much money all the time. Always. In many topics. I didn't like single out RDJ. Anyone who has read my 16,000 posts of insane lefty posts knows this. RDJ is just one example of a much larger problem, like I said. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PDC1987 said:

Anything who thinks there should be a cap on how much money a citizen can make doesn't like the concept of a free society or free market. Compensation is a cornerstone of Capitalism and the basic motivator to work your ass off.

you obviously don't know cmasterclay well.

Edited by RandomCat
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Individuals AND corporations should not be allowed to make that much money. There's literally no reason for it. I've been pretty damn vocal on these boards how sick Disney's merger/money hoarding makes me. 

because they can. I wish I had that much money. But that does not make me wish they were not able to make that much. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet, Jeff Bezos, even Zuckerberg were not rich prior to making some major contribution to society. Now they are insanely rich on a scale incomparable to RDJ.

This is good for everyone. That money has so go somewhere. Its not like it sits idle under a bed. If it is in a bank it becomes cash available for banks to loan money for normies like us to get a house. They invest it, well that allows companies to expand and hire more and pay better, helps us. They spend it on mega mansions and random luxuries... guess what, they are pumping that money right back into the economy which benefits anyone who works for the companies who makes the products they buy.

• Like 2

I'm not even a commie or anything Christ. Like my dad was a small business owner. I believe in a free market (with regulations) and an open exchange of ideas. I just don't believe that rich people should be so rich when so many are struggling. Seems like a not unreasonable argument? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1