CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Idk, I get the feeling that this film revitalized interest on the brand among the GA, and unlike the post-Avengers films, AMATW is just two months away so they'll benefit more from the bump. Specially if they closely tie to IW somehow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, DOCTOR STRANGE numbers seem like the barometer for these smaller solo movies that maybe don't have the buzz of a BLACK PANTHER or (likely) CAPTAIN MARVEL.

Too bad your Infinity War Saturday club got locked. I was in on it as I always thought Saturday would be it's best day. But I never saw THAT Saturday number coming lol.

3 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

This April will be the first $1B April (is at ~$987M with updated IW estimate).

So this year had the first $1B February and will have the first $1B April, so only September and October never were above $1B (or to be honest $800M)

Also did Disney (for what it's worth) took the February Opening Weekend record from 20th Century Fox and the April record from Universal, so they now have February (Black Panther), March (Beauty and the Beast), April (Avengers: Infinity War), May (The Avengers) and December (The Force Awakens) so five month, same number as WB (January, July, September, October), Universal has June and Lionsgate November.

I imagine we'll see July, October and November record being broken within the next year and a bit. 

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Deadpool 2's Ryan seem try to "connect" deadpool with IW by making reference, or kind gesture to give max. exposure of deadpool to audience...

Will that help in building up the hype?  

Their biggest asset is to get Brolin to talk about Thanos non-stop during the press tour.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Deadpool 2's Ryan seem try to "connect" deadpool with IW by making reference, or kind gesture to give max. exposure of deadpool to audience...

Will that help in building up the hype?  

That's clearly the strategy, yes. Based on reactions of the three viewings I've had with Infinity War, I think that DP2 can actually HELP Infinity War and get rewarded by being close to it. DP2 needs to be a good film for that to happen, but I think it's feasible. People love or love to hate Deadpool. That's a powerful combo. 

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

with marketing, that's definitely possible.

With the marketing 1billion that would be cheap, more than 10 year's ago Sony spent on Spider Man 3

231.687 in marketing and 299.763 million in direct net production budget, 531.45 millions, that 639.65m in 2018$ dollar.

If avenger Infitinity war part 1&2 gross production + marketing is under 1400m that a steal.

The article bring a good point imo, why would Disney be foolish to spend 1 billion (and for the people making them to ask for that much), the movie will make almost twice that rumored budget in the opening weekend alone, push the non avengers movies and push a diverse line of products.

After a tax rebate (I imagine Georgia but there were a lot of jurisdiction in the generic) it would be down to like 430, that only 20% more that what Sony was spending on a Spider Man 3 and it will make the double at the box office if not way more and Disney has the ability to monetize/keep everything from it unlike Sony for Spider Man.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I imagine we'll see July, October and November record being broken within the next year and a bit. 

Yeah July by TLK (needs just:lol: $170M for that and B&tB opened with more)

October probably by Venom.

And November Wonder Woman part 2 (sorry can't see the Grinch or FB 2 breaking that)

Just now, Barnack said:

With the marketing 1billion that would be cheap, more than 10 year's ago Sony spent on Spider Man 3

231.687 in marketing and 299.763 million in direct net production budget, 531.45 millions, that 639.65m in 2018$ dollar.

If avenger Infitinity war part 1&2 gross production + marketing is under 1400m that a steal.

Spider-man 3 cost THAT MUCH? Where on earth did that money go?

Edited by Rebeccas

22 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

We do have a politics forum if you guys want to discuss this as well. The weekend thread is not the place for politics. 

I made a Salary Cap thread in the politics forum if people want to take the discussion there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Taruseth said:

Yeah July by TLK (needs just:lol: $170M for that and B&tB opened with more)

October probably by Venom.

And November Wonder Woman part 2 (sorry can't see the Grinch or FB 2 breaking that)

Venom could do $60-65m and still beat the record. WW2 is a bit tougher as $158m is a high watermark but it could do it.

17 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

There's a reason why ANT-MAN AND THE WASP and CAPTAIN MARVEL will blow up. Yes, it's called INFINITY WAR, but not all it's revealed... yet. 

agree, everything happen to the solo marvel film post avengers 1 will repeat here in the post IW era

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The article bring a good point imo, why would Disney be foolish to spend 1 billion (and for the people making them to ask for that much), the movie will make almost twice that rumored budget in the opening weekend alone, push the non avengers movies and push a diverse line of products.

After a tax rebate (I imagine Georgia but there were a lot of jurisdiction in the generic) it would be down to like 430, that only 20% more that what Sony was spending on a Spider Man 3 and it will make the double at the box office if not way more and Disney has the ability to monetize/keep everything from it unlike Sony for Spider Man.

Sony wildly overspent on SM3  but the video market was booming around then.  Ditto though on ASM2  especially compared to it's contemporaries in the MCU - in terms of budget and marketing.  Aside from SM:HC making more domestic and O/S it cost nearly $90m less to produce and at least that much less to market.

The Avengers has so many marketing partners they don't need to spend that kind of money in P&A.  A recent article had them getting about $150m in P&A from promotional partners for AIW

Regardless, the article was poorly sourced and highly suspect as were a bunch of their other published stuff at the same time.

Edited by TalismanRing