wboxoffice

Is Dwayne Johnson surpassing Will Smith?

As much as The Rock's draw power has been overstated during Jumanji's insane run he is as much of a sure bet a star gets in this day and age. And you can't discard all the sequels and franchises he made as completely irrelevant to his draw power. Journey2 and GIJoe2 would be heading for huge drops without the Rock, and even the Fast&Furious franchise exploded from the moment he came on board. Of course he wasn't the sole reason  F&F became so big, but he was a factor.

Of course he is not as big as peak Will Smith was, but no one is anymore and no one will be in the current market.

• Like 1

According to Hollywood, kinda :

2019Hobbs And Shaw (announced) 
Luke Hobbs
 2019Suicide Squad 2 (announced) 
Black Adam (rumored)
 2018Skyscraper (post-production) 
Will Sawyer
 Big Trouble in Little China (announced) 
Jack Burton (rumored)
 Black Adam (pre-production) 
Black Adam
 Doc Savage (announced) 
Doc Savage
 Jumanji 2 (announced) 
Spencer
 San Andreas 2 (announced) 
Raymond Gaines

3 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Box office? Not yet. Household name recognition around the world? He achieved that many moons ago. I'm a big fan of both, so it doesn't make a difference either way.

I think after Smith did ID4, most people around the world knew he was.

Looking at some big stars and their ratio of ‘hits’ per movie (over 100m DOM Adjusted) since their breakout movie and ‘big hits’ per movie (over 250m DOM Adjusted), I’m also going to not count major franchise roles as RDJ likely isn’t a major draw but RDJ as Iron Man is.

Of Smith and the 3 actors I’d say are definitive draws here are some examples, I may try and make a chart.

DiCaprio

72% of films adjust over 100m post Titanic

17% of films adjust over 250m since Titanic

Smith

55% of films adjust over 100m post Made in America (61% if you include MIB2 and 3, and Bad Boys 2)

25% of films adjust over 250m post Made in America (26% if you include MIB 2 and 3 and Bad Boys 2)

Denzel

46% of films adjust over 100m since Malcom X

0% adjust over 250m 

Johnson

41% adjust over 100m since Scorpion King (factors out Moana and Furious franchises, 38% if you exclude Jumanji, 35% if you exclude Scorpion King, 32% if you exclude GI Joe 2)

5% over 250m if you include Jumanji, otherwise 0%

• Like 3

Nope.  Dwayne Johnson is a star, but a limited one who seems to only sell pre-existing IPs, or unmemorable trash.  Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Will Smith, etc. have been in some bad movies, but they've also been in a number of major films.  The Rock is about as close to the old school action stars as Kevin Hart is to Eddie Murphy, which is to say, not that close.  

Edited by Jeriosnal
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 12:26 AM, The Panda said:

Looking at some big stars and their ratio of ‘hits’ per movie (over 100m DOM Adjusted) since their breakout movie and ‘big hits’ per movie (over 250m DOM Adjusted), I’m also going to not count major franchise roles as RDJ likely isn’t a major draw but RDJ as Iron Man is.

Of Smith and the 3 actors I’d say are definitive draws here are some examples, I may try and make a chart.

DiCaprio

72% of films adjust over 100m post Titanic

17% of films adjust over 250m since Titanic

Smith

55% of films adjust over 100m post Made in America (61% if you include MIB2 and 3, and Bad Boys 2)

25% of films adjust over 250m post Made in America (26% if you include MIB 2 and 3 and Bad Boys 2)

Denzel

46% of films adjust over 100m since Malcom X

0% adjust over 250m 

Johnson

41% adjust over 100m since Scorpion King (factors out Moana and Furious franchises, 38% if you exclude Jumanji, 35% if you exclude Scorpion King, 32% if you exclude GI Joe 2)

5% over 250m if you include Jumanji, otherwise 0%

Let's not forget Sandra Bullock either 

I like the Rock as much as anyone, but he's still too associated with trashy movies in a way that prime Will Smith never was. Also, if you're not old enough to remember the mid to late 90's it's hard to convey quite how huge Smith's celebrity was back then, both in film and music. He owned that half-decade. 

• Like 2

Willy - 2 Oscar nominations, movies that stood the test of time, big boxoffice across various genres

Dwayne - big boxoffice in action movies (and the biggest one from the franchise that he didn't even start)

Love The Rock like the next guy but he isn't in Will's league or Arnie's for the matter (he and Vin started as Next Arnies). 

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2018 at 10:31 AM, wboxoffice said:

I don't know if he has yet, but the way things are going it's only a matter of time...  Dwayne is on a such a roll and bringing out movie after movie...  After he's done, he's going to probably pass Eddie Murphy, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, etc. in terms of being the box office king for black actors...  Who would have thought this 5 years ago?

(I don't count someone like Samuel L. Jackson because he's mostly in supporting roles). 

Love the Rock, but no. Will Smith peaked higher than the Rock. ID4, Men in Black and sole headlining movies like I Am Legend, Hitch, I,Robot, etc.  Rock is huge but not Will Smith, as of now, IMO.

On 4/23/2018 at 2:01 PM, TombRaider said:

Lol at Ansel Elgort, he's irrelevant. He just got lucky

And I agree that DiCaprio is still #1, and he makes good movies at that. Dwayne Johnson is an embarrassment and its movies will be forgotten in 10 years

How does one get lucky?  Maybe he just picks the right projects.