Eric Duncan

A Quiet Place 2 | Paramount | May 28, 2021

I was quite impressed by either how tactile it was or just how good computer SFX are today, really interesting use of sound has well, solid craft, pretty much has good has you can go for a sequel plot wise, maybe my standard got lower for going to the cinema for the first time in like 15 months, but it was all round really really good. Good exposition.

• Like 1

Good thing I didn't watch this in the cinema. Fun little filmmaking exercise but nothing more. Probably will end up forgetting this when I wake up tomorrow. Literally doesn't have an ending.

Also, this isn't a good looking movie, but the night scenes in this are far more easier to look at in HDR than in any digitally shot film I've seen recently. I honestly wonder why.

Edit: Krasinski jerks off so hard to himself and his character in this movie lmao.

Edited by lorddemaxus

40 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also, this isn't a good looking movie, but the night scenes in this are far more easier to look at in HDR than in any digitally shot film I've seen recently. I honestly wonder why.

Like the first it used 35mm a lot. (with the very latest update on what film (https://www.kodak.com/en/motion/product/camera-films/500t-5219-7219)-lense can do in the dark):

https://ymcinema.com/2020/06/01/a-quiet-place-part-ii-was-shot-on-panavisions-panaflex-millennium-xl2-and-t-glass/

Shooting dark scenes with film

The film contains a vast amount of dark scenes, which are the Achilles Heel of film and the main advantages of the digitals. However, according to DP Polly Morgan BSC ASC, this was a no brainer. The fact is that the film’s “extensive dark situations” (night scenes and stage work that comprised 75% of screen time) were shot with Kodak Vision3 500T 5219 film stock for the dark scenes, while Vision3 250D 5207 was used mainly for day exteriors. Furthermore, Morgan filmed with Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2 cameras (were chosen after “extensive testing”) and T-Series anamorphic lenses, which had been adjusted to match the C-Series lenses Christensen used on the first film, and to optimize their close-focus abilities and performance in low light. With wrote about those lenses in the articles: Panavision T-Series Anamorphic: The Lenses Behind Line of Duty, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Proves That Film is (Still) The King. Feel free to catch a glimpse at those. 

• Like 2

I knew it was shot on film, but practically everything I see shot on digital today look terrible in low-light night scenes, especially in HDR, while movies shot on film look fantastic (I wonder what it looks like with Micheal Mann's digital films, since Mann mainly experimented a lot with low-light cinematography). 

Saw it. I don’t watch Horror films. I enjoyed the first film which I also saw at home back when it came out. I think this sequel is even better. It’s really fun watching a movie with your family and screaming at the tv like lunatics whenever something might jump off. The film is also careful about how it handles stuff like gore so it feels super accessible. 

FULL PRICE

Also @lorddemaxussaid about Krasinski and his character isn’t wrong.