Porthos

Star Wars Resistance | Disney Channel and XD (Fall 2018) | Sequel Era "Anime inspired" animated series by Dave Filoni

STAR WARS RESISTANCE, ANIME-INSPIRED SERIES, SET FOR FALL DEBUT

ALL-NEW ANIMATED SERIES WILL FOCUS ON THE ERA BEFORE STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.

This fall, welcome to the Resistance!

StarWars.com is thrilled to announce that production has begun on Star Wars Resistance, an exciting new animated adventure series about Kazuda Xiono, a young pilot recruited by the Resistance and tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the growing threat of the First Order. It will premiere this fall on Disney Channel in the U.S. and thereafter, on Disney XD and around the world.

Featuring the high-flying adventure that audiences of all ages have come to expect from Star WarsStar Wars Resistance — set in the time prior to Star Wars: The Force Awakens — will feature the beloved droid BB-8 alongside ace pilots, colorful new characters and appearances by fan favorites including Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma, voiced by actors Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie, respectively.

star-wars-resistance-main-1024x576.jpg

The series was created by renowned Lucasfilm Animation veteran Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels); executive-produced by Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Justin Ridge (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) and Brandon Auman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles); and art-directed by Amy Beth Christenson (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels).

“The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots” said Filoni. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.”

Marc Buhaj, senior vice president, Programming and general manager, Disney XD, said, “Our colleagues at Lucasfilm have created a compelling narrative for an untold moment in the Star Wars galaxy, and we are excited to partner with them again on this new original series. Star Wars Resistance will bring viewers across generations an engaging story with heart, humor and both new and familiar characters.”

In addition to Isaac and Christie, the voice cast includes actors Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (East Enders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales), Jim Rash (Community), and Rachel Butera (Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time).

Follow @StarWars for the latest on #StarWarsResistance and check out StarWars.com for more exciting news on the series.

Looks like the rumors were right.  Slightly surprised it's coming to XD and not waiting around for the streaming service.

I'll pop in more details when I get them.

edit

If I had to guess it's following the exploits of either Black Squadron or a group inspired by Black Squadron and will have folks like Poe and Phasma at the periphery, or at least in secondary roles.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RandomCat said:

This sounds like a lot of fun. Though I know at least one person who might be a tad upset this doesn't appear to be a followup to the epilogue of Rebels.

Since Dave Filoni created this show and isn't one of the executive producers, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see ANOTHER animated show come down the pike in 2019 or 2020 and have that one go to the streaming service.  Under the presumption that Filoni as head of the animation department has time to oversee multiple projects at the 30,000 foot level and let other people run the day-to-day making of the shows.

I say that because "multiple" SW series are supposed to be coming to streaming.  A pseudo-sequel to Rebels sounds exactly the sort of thing for a streaming platform where it might be able to be a bit niche. 

--

The other thing about animation is that they could get a sequel series to Rebels at pretty much any time.  Especially since none of the stars of the show are all that old.  Plenty of time to revisit the era three, five, or even ten years down the road when Filoni and co feel the time is right to tell that tale.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Since Dave Filoni created this show and isn't one of the executive producers, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see ANOTHER animated show come down the pike in 2019 or 2020 and have that one go to the streaming service.  Under the presumption that Filoni as head of the animation department has time to oversee multiple projects at the 30,000 foot level and let other people run the day-to-day making of the shows.

I say that because "multiple" SW series are supposed to be coming to streaming.  A pseudo-sequel to Rebels sounds exactly the sort of thing for a streaming platform where it might be able to be a bit niche. 

I can tell her that, but she is pretty demanding about that sequel series. Already has some fanfiction for it. :D I'd be willing to bet we see some form of sequel series, whether animated or comic, or book, in the next few years. I'd actually expect it to be in books. I'd like a good old fashioned series of books for this new EU instead of a bunch of jumping around stand alones.

For Resistance. Putting money down now on Mark Hamill cameo.

• Like 1

Well now.  Didn't see this coming:

I had figured just the premiere would be on the Disney Channel.

@Trolltastic Tele,  I know this isn't show isn't your gig, but Disney Channel IS more high profile than XD, right?  For a punter like me who rarely pays attention to such stuff, just what is the difference, if any, from being on XD and being on the mothership channel?

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

@Porthos, DC has a much larger subscriber base than XD. It's included in more basic/low-end cable tiers, to get XD you have to pay for one of the bigger packs of additional channels.

That I knew, but thanks for the confirmation. :)  I was more asking if different types of shows showed up on Disney Channel versus XD.  That is, do they have slightly different focuses, or is it pretty much all the same with small exceptions.

Just trying to suss out how big of a deal it is for this to be heading to the mothership rather than XD, beyond more potential eyeballs seeing it.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That I knew, but thanks for the confirmation. :)  I was more asking if different types of shows showed up on Disney Channel versus XD.  That is, do they have slightly different focuses, or is it pretty much all the same with small exceptions.

Traditionally DC has been more girl-oriented and XD more boy-oriented, but Disney's been fiddling around with programming for awhile so the barriers might be blurred or even non-existent at this point.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

Just trying to suss out how big of a deal it is for this to be heading to the mothership rather than XD, beyond more potential eyeballs seeing it.

DC targets a slightly larger age range, from preschoolers to young teens.  XD focuses on boys ages 6-11.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the trailer, @Fullbuster.  RebWGyw.png

Date and time information, plus other info:

The first trailer for the show dropped Friday, along with the premiere date of the one-hour first episode: Oct. 7 at 10 p.m. on Disney Channel, DisneyNOW, and Disney Channel VOD, with later airings on Disney XD.

Oscar Isaac will return to the galaxy to voice Poe Dameron, and Rachel Butera (the lead on Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time and the voice of Meryl Streep on Family Guy) will take over General Organa from the late Carrie Fisher.

Gwendoline Christie will resurrect chrome-armored Captain Phasma as one of the villains on the show, set before the events of The Force Awakens, when Supreme Leader Snoke and the First Order movement is an evolving danger to galactic peace.

The Resistance dispatches Kaz to a vessel known as Colossus, a re-fueling platform positioned on an outer rim water world, where Kaz will work undercover as a mechanic — keeping his eyes and ears alert for news about the movements of First Order personnel.

More at the link.

====

Have to say, I'm intrigued by the animation style.  Not nearly as cheap as I thought it might be, and I'm already loving some of the design work of the ships and sets.  Still, the animation style of the characters might take a little getting used to, but on the whole I like it.

Airtime is weird for a show primarily aimed at kids (though with streaming that's becoming less and less of a concern).  Which, come to think of it, might mean something after all. YiBe40t.png

• Like 1

Spoiler

This show is for kids? I know when they announced a Star Wars cartoon for Disney channel, I wasn't expecting it to be for children. Stupid Disney not making everything for exactly me.

That aside, Just Poe being like stone cold about a dude being thrown off that platform (to their death??), man. Animation is interesting, will take some getting used to, but all in all hard to judge any quality off a 1 minute teaser.

Also, a fat Rodian.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RandomCat said:
  Hide contents

This show is for kids? I know when they announced a Star Wars cartoon for Disney channel, I wasn't expecting it to be for children. Stupid Disney not making everything for exactly me.

That aside, Just Poe being like stone cold about a dude being thrown off that platform (to their death??), man. Animation is interesting, will take some getting used to, but all in all hard to judge any quality off a 1 minute teaser.

Also, a fat Rodian.

Got to admit, I actually like the anime inspired ships and sets.  Growing up on things like the 'vehicle team' version of Voltron (it was superior in all ways to the lion themed Voltron; don't @ me j1aUlyv.gif) and ExoSquad  (my personal White Whale for a reboot/sequel, BTW) lends me to really appreciate the art style, if not completely sold on the character animation.

But it's also reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop, which I naturally adore.  

So I'm actually much more down for the animation than I thought I'd be. 

Edited by Porthos

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Got to admit, I actually like the anime inspired ships and sets.  Growing up on things like the 'vehicle team' version of Voltron (it was superior in all ways to the lion themed Voltron; don't @ me j1aUlyv.gif) and ExoSquad  (my personal White Whale for a reboot/sequel, BTW) lends me to really appreciate the art style, if not completely sold on the character animation.

But it's also reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop, which I naturally adore.  

So I'm actually much more down for the animation than I thought I'd be. 

The vehicle animation looks great. Its really the character stuff that is...whatever reservations I have. No small part to that character sticking both arms right in the air screaming...*shudder*

I've never seen Cowboy Beebop.

• Like 1

It obviously targetting the under 15 / new generation so it is probably by design that it is not feeling like Star Wars at all.

The aesthetic, the voice, the tone, the content, the pace, the score/sound, there is very little link about that trailer and this:

1 minute ago, DAR said:

This might come as a shock but some grown adults aren't happy with this

I don't think they are expected to be happy or to even consider watching this.

This is really obviously made for really young kids watching the Disney channel cartoons no ?