Porthos

Star Wars Resistance | Disney Channel and XD (Fall 2018) | Sequel Era "Anime inspired" animated series by Dave Filoni

Works for me.

Not gonna lie though, mostly watching it for the flying stuff.  I've always been a sucker for that thing, so if those are the highlights and there's promise of more meat to come, I think I'll be fairly satisfied.

Word on the street is that they'll be up "early Sunday morning" on Disney Now, so perhaps as early as 12:01 am PDT.

That was... Not too shabby.  Not nearly as "kiddie" as I'd been lead to believe from some quarters.

Saw the first two episodes (the two-part opener), will probably save the next two for some time tomorrow.

Spoiler free thoughts.

The plot is somewhat cliche at times, yes. But it was executed well. And it's an intro, so there's only so many ways to start.   The strength is how quickly characters are established.  One character in particular is almost immediately established once they step on the screen.  Yet that same character shows a bit of hidden depth later on which belies some of the initial presumptions that might be made about them.

It's hard to say if the characters are two-dimensional or not after only 43 minutes or so, but I do think there's room for most of the ones who have showed up the be appropriately fleshed out.

As for the humor?  Well, that's always tricky.  I didn't find anything objectionable.  In fact, I had a couple of actual laugh out loud moments.

The setting is intriguing, the characters seem interesting.  And, yes, there do look to be stakes involved.

Can't ask for much more than that.  It's not mind blowing by any means, but shows enough promise to get, let's say 8.25/10. Can't give it much higher simply because, well, it does play like a pilot episode, and it didn't WOW me.

It didn't have a huge reveal moment like the opening episode for Rebels did, for instance, but it was much better executed than the first few Clone Wars episodes.

Finally the animation was crisp and fluid.  Didn't have a single issue with it, really.  Not only that, but it was very well done at times.  MUCH better than the first few episodes of Rebels, that's for sure (remember the Wookiees in the pilot? *shudders*).

So, yeah.  8.25/10 sounds about right.  Might even be a bit harsh on it and deserving of a bit higher, but I'm known as an 'easy grade' when it comes to things I like, so I'm intentionally trying to knock it down a bit.

====

tl;dr:  A solid foundation for a show where it looks like some interesting stories can be told.  Characters are well drawn and the quality of the animation on a technical level is very good for the style it is made in.

Consider me signed on board and curious for where this is headed. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Saw the first three episodes and I echo a lot of the same thoughts @Porthos had. Definitely much closer in tone to both Rebels and The Clone Wars then I was expecting. While both those shows took a decent amount of time to find their identity I feel like Resistance knows exactly the show it wants to be and in executing that vision it does a good job. The main lead does feel a bit too similar to other characters we've had before in Star Wars animation but I do like the supporting cast the show has introduced so far. It does have a bit more slapstick humour than the other two shows but that doesn't bother me as much as some others. 

The animation itself works very well in terms of showing action. Character animation isn't as good but not as jarring as say Rebels was at first. It especially works well whenever we see the ships either racing or in aerial combat. Designs of the various ships are really good too with some good variety but not seeming out of place of the Star Wars galaxy. 

So yeah overall the show seems like another good addition to the Star Wars animation catalogue of shows. I do wonder without giving away spoilers how long this show can go on for seeing its close proximity to The Force Awakens. I would love for the show to show the aftermath of that film (and I guess therefore The Last Jedi) but I could also see it ending in 2 or 3 seasons. 

Anyways I'm sold and am more invested than I previous thought I would have been. 

• Like 1

Just watched eps 5 and 6 (or technically, 4 and 5) and I think the show is starting to find its stride.

I thought the third episode wasn't as good as the pilot, but still entertaining enough.  Episode 4?  Well, let's just say I'm not a fan of that particular trope that was told there in any medium and leave it at that.

But 5 and 6 was a much needed bounce back.  The stakes are slowly starting to rise, and the world of The Colossus fleshed out.

One thing I think I really find refreshing is that Kaz isn't some All Powerful Hero that Always Wins.  Truth be told, he doesn't often so much win as survive.  His plans rarely work out the way he wants and he's making major mistakes along the way.  A repeat of Ezra and/or Ahsoka, he ain't.  He also doesn't really have the Mentor Figure watching over him like both Ezra and Ahsoka had, which makes this a pretty different tale than either Rebels or TCW. I won't say he's on his own, as he isn't.  But he is a bit of an outsider in a culture he doesn't fully grok yet.

Really, his archetype is far closer to Han than either of those two, but even he doesn't fit, as Kaz is VERY open about his idealism.  This isn't so much a Coming of Age story, I think, as someone finding their place in the world and how best to make it better.

Anyway, no real comments on either of these last two stories except to say I am intrigued to see just where it goes.  Especially in regards to Captain Doza.  Him I want to know more about, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Resistance is picking up quite nicely as it gets further into the season.  But in a strange way it seems to be closer in spirit to the original Clone Wars microseries in that I think it might play much better in one fell swoop.  

I guess that it's because this is shaping up to be very serialized, but the individual episodes are 'small' in scope.  I don't even mean in terms of plot/importance, as this was always designed to be a 'smaller' show.  No, I more mean in the length of the individual story being told.

It's not so much that each episode is small in stakes, but that each episode has a very narrow focus.  But at the same time, that narrow focus has hooks into the next few episodes.  

All in all though, it's been pretty good.  Only one bad/mediocre episode so far, and that's more my personal hangup on the type of story in that episode than anything else.  It's also turning into a different style of show than either TCW or Rebels, which is a good thing in my book.

One thing about Resistance has surprised me slightly in that it isn't focusing on the Aces or flying nearly as much as I thought they would.  Though we might just be in a different sub-arc that isn't focused on them/it as much.

So far, so good.  Hasn't reached the heights of either TCW or Rebels yet.  But there's still plenty of time.  And even if it doesn't, it's been an enjoyable tale told, thus far.

Well, now.

THAT was an intriguing episode.  Probably the best of the entire series so far. 

Spoiler

And, maddeningly for some I suspect, it raises questions that I don't think are going to be answered/looked at more until we get The Definitive History of Starkiller Base.

Like, was that weapons testing?  That was my first guess.  But then I saw speculation that it was attempts at perfecting the procedure of coring out worlds to put in The Mother of all Wave Motion Guns.

Come to think of it, that's probably more likely.

But what was the settlement?  That I suspect will get answered in due time, since Kaz brought home a souvenir.  Maybe related to the slightly Force sensitive kids on the run from the FO?

Now. mind you, I don't mind unanswered questions.  Gives something to talk about, after all.  But I suspect others will want answers much sooner than later.

Also, given a stray comment from Poe, I suspect the shit is just about to hit the fan. And in a rather big way. :ph34r:

• Like 1

That was a damn fine episode. 👍

Lots of things to like about this one, including many many chickens coming home to roost in regards to Kaz and his various relationships.  Some paid off.  Others are biting him in the ass.

Resistance is really starting to find its stride.  

Other people online are already commenting on this, but IMO Agent Tierny is an Instant Favorite. I like how she's different from Thrawn/Kallus/et all in that she's not afraid to use warmth and pleasantries as a weapon (Thrawn could play at being pleasant, but it always felt cold to me).  Yet, beneath that caring facade lies an iron fist.

Didn't even notice it at the time, but this comment is so so true:

When Tam turns away, Tierny thinks to herself, "Oh yes.  I have you right where I want you."

(Also Tierny = Tyranny natch.  Classic SW baddie name there 👍)

Edited by Porthos