Eric Duncan

The Hate U Give l Fox l October 5 limited, October 19 wide l Available to rent for free

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah. Like I said, the tones in the trailer don’t mix well at all. Makes it feel like something on Freeform tbh.

The books is very popular so I think it has some potential at the box office but Freeform is the perfect way to describe it lol. It doesn't look cinematic to me. I'm annoyed with Amandla's casting as well. She doesn't fit the role at all to me. 

And EW was predicting this as a possible awards contendor lol. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ban1o said:

The books is very popular so I think it has some potential at the box office but Freeform is the perfect way to describe it lol. It doesn't look cinematic to me. I'm annoyed with Amandla's casting as well. She doesn't fit the role at all to me. 

And EW was predicting this as a possible awards contendor lol. 

How does the book’s popularity compare to Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda? Love, Simon limped across 40M, and this has even less rural appeal than that did IMO. 

Edited by WrathOfHan

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

How does the book’s popularity compare to Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda? Love, Simon limped across 40M, and this has even less rural appeal than that did IMO. 

it's been out for 68 weeks and is #1 on NY times best seller for YA books. I don't know if Simon ever topped the list? The one thing is Simon was written in 2015 so it had 3 years to build up it's popularity. THUG was written in 2017. I also read some schools are assigning THUG for assigned reading which wasn't done for Simon. I would say THUG is def more popular just based on what I've seen from the kids I've worked with. But Simon got hype from the gay community I'm not sure if THUG will get the same hype from the black community. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ban1o said:

it's been out for 68 weeks and is #1 on NY times best seller for YA books. I don't know if Simon ever topped the list? The one thing is Simon was written in 2015 so it had 3 years to build up it's popularity. THUG was written in 2017. I also read some schools are assigning THUG for assigned reading which wasn't done for Simon. I would say THUG is def more popular just based on what I've seen from the kids I've worked with. But Simon got hype from the gay community I'm not sure if THUG will get the same hype from the black community. 

"Im not sure if THUG will get the same hype from the black community." Sounds like you're talking about a rapper or something else lol it was funny reading that sentence 

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

Glad the reviews are good. 

Now can it break the YA box office curse of $5-$15 million opening weekend?

It's opening against Halloween but the audience overlap is likely not too high. A $14M/$45M run shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

29 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Fox 2000 has moved up the release date for its adaptation of Angie Thomas’ The Hate U Give by two weeks to October 5. It now will open in limited release then expand the following week and go wide on October 19.

This sounds like a good choice tbh. Allows it the chance to build buzz/WOM.

Won't be surprised if it's already grossed 5-6M before its expansion. If buzz builds, I could see a debut in mid-to-high teens, finishing with around 80-85M. But that's best case scenario IMO, I've got no clue how it'll do in platform release.