aabattery

Monday Numbers - A:IW 24.74M

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

Can we start considering titanic?

Let's see the weekend #2 holds first. A monster China opening would help too

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

They're just waiting for FROZEN 2, or even whatever the next Walt Disney Animation Studios movie is. They don't give a crap about anything else, I swear.

That's not true at all. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pirates and the Jurassic Park franchise did some pretty decent numbers there, past and present. Other then that, animation and musicals do really well there, even non Disney like Illumination and the Great Showman. For the most part they just don't care about superheroes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

They're just waiting for FROZEN 2, or even whatever the next Walt Disney Animation Studios movie is. They don't give a crap about anything else, I swear.

I don't think Wreck It Ralph 2 is going to set the Japanese box office on fire.

26 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

This, pretty much. When a year has 4 good superhero movies, I’ll buy 4 or 5 tickets. If a year had 0 good superhero movies, I might buy literally 0 tickets that year.         

Everything else has less of an ongoing narrative that I care about so I don’t mind waiting until I can watch it on a laptop.

You really need to expand your filmgoing horizons a big, it big budget blockbusters are the only thing you really care about.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

You really need to expand your filmgoing horizons a big, it big budget blockbusters are the only thing you really care about.

Caring a out movies and spending the money to go watch movies in the theater are two different things. I watch primarily blockbusters in the theaters but watch smaller movies on rentals or streaming. 

Theater going isn’t cheap. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Your movies diet and the movies offer would be probably different too.

It doesn't really matter, you could still wait until it hits streaming (and that's assuming you're paying customer and not an illegal-downloader) 

So yeah, you have to make it a VFX-cultural event or rely on its fans (sometimes both) 

Get Out and A Quiet Place won't hold Hollywood for a year. 

6 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

So yeah, you have to make it a VFX-cultural event or rely on its fans (sometimes both) 

Well yes and if there were no SH, chance are there would be something else attempted on those release date / budget spent.

25 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Wow, spectacular hold for Blockers then. I’d like to see BP with at least 400k.

BP had a double feature bump for the weekend. will probably be down 40% from last monday 280k

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Caring a out movies and spending the money to go watch movies in the theater are two different things. I watch primarily blockbusters in the theaters but watch smaller movies on rentals or streaming. 

Theater going isn’t cheap. 

Agreed. Even taking only mainstream cinema into account I will never pay a ticket to see a comedy for example. It would be nice if we had cult genre/grindhouse films like the seventies and the eighties, I would definately pay a ticket for those but at the state of cinema right now I will only go to big spectacles and the occasional horror movie.

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I like lots of other films, but I’m content to watch them at home in HD.

• Like 2