aabattery

Monday Numbers - A:IW 24.74M

53 minutes ago, svetlana99 said:

The fact is, Black Panther doesn't have a comparable in terms of anything else Hollywood has ever put out in terms of faithfully executing a film that could (and did) appeal to not only the still woefully underserved minority audience, but general audiences of every creed from every walk of life.

How about :

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=comingtoamerica.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I respectfully disagree. Wonder Woman , a mediocre film and not even in the same stratosphere with BP in terms of quality, had a big impact too and culturally and I found the reactions to WW quite bizzare (since we have had a gazillion films with strong female characters and much better ones than WW I might add). 

I  somewhat agree only with your second paragraph, where you write about the African culture and how BP makes great use of it . 

The rest of your post, I am sorry but our opinions are just different , just like Wonder Woman, I don’t think that BP bo success validates your opinion. I believe it’s mostly the dark times that we live in that help such movies earn more of a cultural aura than they would have , if we were in the nineties for example. Anyway that’s my two cents , we can’t agree on everything....

Those are the types of posts you see when non-Americans attempt to speak about the sociopolitical topics in the USA and their impact on the box office. They are often very off-base and have the perspective of an outsider glancing in. That is why many movies are often way off in predictions on here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

An R-rated romantic comedy is supposed to be comparable to a PG-13, family tentpole? 

Not sure how the romantic comedy aspect matter here how why you think that comparison made was on that aspect.

In France and were I come from Coming to america is classed the equivalent of G (http://www.rcq.gouv.qc.ca/RCQ212AfficherFicheTech.asp?intNoFilm=26911), never thought it was R before now.

Has for Tentpole it was the second biggest opening weekend of that year, 3 biggest movie one of the biggest movie international, Eddy Murphy was a tentpole by himself back then.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

I loved Wonder Woman but its success and impact got dwarfed by Black Panther big time. It's not just that Black Panther had a black protagonist, but an all-black cast set in Africa with themes of racism and colonialism. Wonder Woman was mostly a straightforward superhero movie starring a woman. 

I think it was good of DC/WBs to just do that. They just needed a straight forward movie and no experimenting and tempering. Though a different ending and spending much more time on the island would have been fun.

That said, I find enjoyed both films (though not to the same degree I've seen others put it). I'm just happy we finally get to see more women and minority superheroes leading Hollywood movies. 

Edited by Belle

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Well, this is depressing.

Not only is that a really really random fact. It is also a little misleading, Mariah has had number 1 hits since 1990 with Vision of Love, that was 28 years ago, 6 years before Holland was born. The picture made it sound like there's anything exceptional with ABMB or that it's Mariah's first number 1.

Anyway, I love Mariah so just have to comment on this. ;)

Edited by NCsoft
  • Thanks 1

Sat/Sat PTA declines

&

Mon/Mon PTA declines

whatever trends you see are useful for projecting out Tues and Weds.  Thurs will most likely = Wed or Mon this time.

- Sat/Sat - Mon/Mon

A Quiet Place - 0.55 - 0.63
I Feel Pretty - 0.56 - 0.60

Rampage - 0.41 - 0.46

Black Panther - 1.11 - 1.10

Super Troopers - 0.34 - 0.36

Truth or Dare 0.53 - 0.65

Ready Player - 0.45 - 0.58

Traffik - 0.46 - 0.53

Isle of Dogs - 0.76 - 1.05

I Can Only Imagine - 0.64 - 0.90

Chappaquiddick - 0.75 - 0.91

Acrimony - 0.67 - 0.92

A Wrinkle in Time - 2.29 - 1.63

Beirut - 0.83 - 1.00

Sherlock Gnomes - 0.87 - 0.95

Miracle Season - 0.65 - 0.88

Love, Simon  - 0.70 - 1.14

Peter Rabbit - 1.03 - 1.35

Pacific Rim - 0.48 - 0.69

Tomb Raider - 0.60 - 0.68

Small upticks with Peter Rabbit and Sherlock Gnomes might suggest Monday was inflated by a couple percentages?  Rampage's uptick seems in line, so perhaps a Sun/Sun ratio instead of Sat/Sat might have put the ratios more identical with the Monday one.  Super Troopers 2 should be around 0.5 for Wed.  Upticks with everything else is normal because whatever momentum each film lost with over Saturday will be regained over the weekdays.  A Quiet Place should be looking at around 0.67 for Wed/Wed which could put it in line for 0.67 or better for next Saturdays PTA hold.  

2 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Wonder Woman was 1000 times better than black panther. And I said this as a  delusional MCU fan. 

this. I am a sucker for Mythology based stuff and also a sucker for fish out of water movies. 

And to me WW was simply more interesting. 

• ...wtf 1