Morieris

355 | Jan 7th 2021 | Universal | Jessica Chastain | Lupita Nyong'o | Penelope Cruz | Fan Bingbing | Edgar Ramirez and Sebastian Stan | They're Spies

I thought Dark Phoenix had some excellent action sequences that looked all practical and some actors delivered great performances as well. That movie was obviously messed in reshoots, the release was fucked by the Fox situation and it had to face a press that couldn't hide their excitement for those characters to be rebooted by Kevin Feige. I don't think it's fair to blame its critical and commercial failure on Kinberg. Unless you guys can see no quality in that film, which I wouldn't understand.

Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain have been very supportive of Kinberg and have encouraged him to direct, which makes me picture him as a really great guy behind the scenes, a rare thing in Hollywood apparently, so I'll root for him based on that as well.

Also, January stopped being a dumping ground a few years ago. It's where Universal released Split and Glass, Sony did with Bad Boys for Life, and STX released The Gentlemen which was very well received.

• Like 1

I think in times of the virus no release month will be a judgement of it being a dumping ground, the old rules wont apply for a long time, too many movies (their distributers) wait for a release date, are in a kind of waiting queue, it will take a long time (a few years) till there is even a chance cinema is back to what is normal.

Including to get the new rules of what the new normal in the future will be, how many screens there will be even available and so on.

Vaccine found means not it is ready to be produced in the amount needed, to build the matching production plants (a d its equipment) takes time too.

Till the economy... is back to normal so all potential viewers will be able to buy a ticket or two is again something to consider.

And the changed way to spend free-time, alternative hobbies and interests could have an impact too.

There will be a few big successes / huge numbers movies, but I think it will be the smaller and middle ground movies, also the count of tickets sold, how many movies will get released per year, and so on, that will show inhowfar cinema is really doing later on.

Every movie released during uncertain times like nowadays wont reflect on the quality of the movie and so on fully.

Apparently there's a controversy about Penelope Cruz (which is Spanish) playing a Colombian character. It hasn't generated many comments though.

Not sure what to think of this. I guess Cruz came before the creation of character, and then Chastain instead of having her be from Spain decided to make her from Latin America to have the region represented in the film. It's not like the character needed to be Colombian. She could have been Spanish. But they decided to make her be from Latin America. I don't think it's really offensive under those circumstances.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 9:03 PM, Napoleon said:

Apparently there's a controversy about Penelope Cruz (which is Spanish) playing a Colombian character. It hasn't generated many comments though.

Not sure what to think of this. I guess Cruz came before the creation of character, and then Chastain instead of having her be from Spain decided to make her from Latin America to have the region represented in the film. It's not like the character needed to be Colombian. She could have been Spanish. But they decided to make her be from Latin America. I don't think it's really offensive under those circumstances.

I guess it could've been a good opportunity to cast Natalia Reyes (Birds of PassageTerminator: Dark Fate). I dunno. I think this particular controversy may fizzle out, but hopefully studios learn from it.

56 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Delayed a year

I imagine before they take Thanksgiving weekend off Universal/Focus will announce that News of the World and Promising Young Woman will bypass their Christmas Day theatrical releases completely and will be put out on PVOD so they can still qualify for awards.