Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

3 hours ago, Alli said:

lol i'm all for conspiracy theories, but you gotta admit this is not a good sign

The thing is though, first of all, that definitely not 30 hours before. It's more like 48 or so. Secondly, it's not like that's the premiere. The premiere might be before that like on the 1st or before. 

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

The thing is though, first of all, that definitely not 30 hours before. It's more like 48 or so. Secondly, it's not like that's the premiere. The premiere might be before that like on the 1st or before. 

With previews an Oct 2nd screening is actually the same day of release

Release Dates 

Germany 3 October 2018  
UK 3 October 2018  
South Korea 3 October 2018

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Foreign releases don't count.

Reviews hitting the same day as the U.K. opening did happen for some piece of crap this summer and I know I wrote about it. Completely forgot.

edit: it was Deadpool 2

Edited by AJG

7 hours ago, Nova said:

I mean I remember Deadpool 2 having a really late embargo. It was like a day before its UK release. And if I remember that thread was a dumpster fire (I apologize for my part in that) because of news flooding in about test screenings and when the embargo drops etc So I was making the comment I did to help prevent this thread from turning into a dumpster fire based on one tweet talking about when the press screening is. 

I imagine though that in the future, should a CBM (DC or Marvel) have a late embargo it's safe to assume that its going to be bad and thus we can comment about the "quality" in the thread....based on an embargo? Because I can imagine that if a post about a late embargo happened in the Aqauman thread, your comment would be a little differently..... 

And now I am gonna see myself out. 

I agree that we shouldn't jump to conclusions but WB usually has "late" embargoes for most of their blockbusters so that points to nothing in their case. The early word for IT was solid and some still felt that it would get bad reviews because of the "late" embargo.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Embargoes for spoilers make sense. Embargoes for vague subjective opinions seem petty and counter intuitive. For example, Bethesda has distributed quite a few good games that sales were hampered by their strict embargo policy. Allow the press to give little hints and nudges. No harm in that. That being said, we are dealing with a film which has "A turd in the wind." in its trailer. Toss a coin on this being damage control. Again, I'm only thinking this, because...embargo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I mea, does anyone actually think his movie will be good? I mean, look at it

I think it looks awful and is going to be trash but I don't KNOW that yet so I have to be open to the possibility that it isn't ass. I want to see some reviews. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

I understand the rating.  I know "Deadpool" showed an R-Rated Comic Franchise can work to amazing numbers along with "Logan" but those are anomalies and not the norm.  PG13 brings a much wider audiences.  Yes its a "Venom" movie but it's under the Spiderman Universe so they want teens to still watch this.   Venom is definitely popular amongst Spidey fans but the reality is this.  Spidey is the bread winner of this franchise.  They have to keep it PG13 to keep the doors open for Spidey if the film ends up being a breakout success (All signs seem to point to some nice Oct Numbers).  It's clear they want to make sequels to this with the response it's getting online and from the trailer views.   Sony doesn't want to give up the Spidey rights so they are really trying to make this new Sony Marvel Universe work.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Thanks 1