Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

I don't think one bad comic book movie is going to stall Hardy's career. The one upside of the post-movie star era is that, just like movies don't typically rise and fall based on stars anymore, neither do careers rise and fall based on ability to draw. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I don't think one bad comic book movie is going to stall Hardy's career. The one upside of the post-movie star era is that, just like movies don't typically rise and fall based on stars anymore, neither do careers rise and fall based on ability to draw. 

The thing is this movie I think is still going to do pretty solidly. At least open well in the US and do well overseas. So won't that actually help his ability to draw/"starpower". Sure if the movie is bad and general audiences don't enjoy it, then a sequel is probably gonna be less hyped, but I think it could still easily earn a sequel

Edited by Pinacolada

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Was it not always a bit of a somewhat 3 strike system that reset back to zero with every new success.

Time between a shot and a release is long enough for an actor to have been signed with a least 1 if not 2 project the time something has flop. Tom Hardy has Fonzo already in post production, War Party announced has a a Ridley Scott production at Netflix project: https://deadline.com/2017/03/war-party-netflix-tom-hardy-andrew-dominik-ridley-scott-jules-daly-1202044894/ and a possible Mad Max sequel.

If all of those fail and is career seem to have took a hit after Venom, if will be because of a somewhat long string of failure not that single project.

Director rarely have something already in post production by the time a failure get in theater, making the impact of a specific failure more strait forward and identifiable.

That said career certainly do rise and fall based on perceived ability to draw imo, look at the speed Dwayne Jonhson greenlight original project, what production and releasing budget he is able to secure for them, look at Will Smith ability to get 50-60m for an original Will Smith movie or even 30m after Concussion/Collateral beauty, he is now in full franchise movie mode.

How much budget, how fast you acquire it for what range of projects, how much creative power and ability to shield the director from studio interference can still all move with your box office clout.

13 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

The thing iw this movie I think is still going to do pretty solidly. At least open well in the US and do well overseas. So won't that actually help his ability to draw/"starpower". Sure if the movie is bad and general audiences don't enjoy it, then a sequel is probably gonna be less hyped, but I think it could still easily earn a sequel

If the movie the gets the kind of reception it's being increasingly expected to get, I doubt this will even get a sequel. Especially when making $300M+ wasn't enough to encourage WB to get the ball rolling on a Suicide Squad 2 after it opened and is looking unlikely to be made any time soon still over two years later.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If the movie the gets the kind of reception it's being increasingly expected to get, I doubt this will even get a sequel. Especially when making $300M+ wasn't enough to encourage WB to get the ball rolling on a Suicide Squad 2 after it opened and is looking unlikely to be made any time soon still over two years later.

Suicide Squad 2 has a lot of moving piece assemble cast wise too, a Will Smith movie sequel not happening does not necessarily mean the studio does not want to make it, a bit like Salt 2 never happening was not necessarily because the studio didn't want or didn't got the ball rolling (they even wrote a couple script for it) same for the fourth Damon Bourne taking so long. Not sure Will Smith locked itself for a sequel without a director, script or even just a treatment.

That said what was the last movie with a terrible multiplier and big only for OW reason that got a direct sequel ? Godzilla has yet to get one. Specially in the context they can use the most popular character in Suicide Squad (joker and Harley) in so many other movies, I can easily imagine them not minding not doing a Suicide Squad 2 anytime soon or at all.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

The thing is this movie I think is still going to do pretty solidly. At least open well in the US and do well overseas. So won't that actually help his ability to draw/"starpower". Sure if the movie is bad and general audiences don't enjoy it, then a sequel is probably gonna be less hyped, but I think it could still easily earn a sequel

I wasn't debating whether it will do well or not. My comment was positing what would happen to Hardy if it doesn't, which is...nothing I believe. 

$5 extra discount on Atom combinable with the $5 Amazon offer...should make it a free ticket for anyone looking...and should spike presales tonight...

Boy, they are looking to spike OW somehow...if this is badly reviewed, this could reach some of those low multipliers people are considering...