Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

34 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I love the idea that if you re able to show blood or say fuck in your movie, you are more likely to create something unique.

How fucking reductive and basic.

IT is a bit larger than that too, PG-13 you can show a very limited amount of consequence of violence, blood being just one of them but you cannot show more than X second of someone crying in reaction of a violent act and a long list of rather strange from a non american point of view rules.

If you are making not only a body horror movie like venom but a body horror movie in which the possessed is a violent killer it could be a strange limitation to choose artistically wise depending on the director intention, imagine the first Alien in PG-13 that wanting to make an audience feel something that is in the spectrum of fearing getting rape artistic endeavor that would limit itself to the rather strict american PG-13 would make little sense.

Now this feel, like they went in good part for a comedy for kids, so keeping it PG-13 do make a lot of sense.

Sounds like Tom Hardy is the sole standout. Shame the other cast members don’t get to shine. Before the teasers, when I was more excited for the movie, I hoped it’d be solid for Riz Ahmed and Michelle Williams’ sakes.

At least it’s looking like it’ll develop something of a cult following if audiences end up agreeing with the critics. 

• Like 1

The animated shows were for kids and handled Venom just fine. This Venom NEEDS an R rating stuff is silly. He doesn't. He needs a good director,  good script and 100's of people good at their jobs to have a good movie. A bad R rated movie isn't any better than a bad PG 13 rated movie. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Who's saying that beyond dumbass Venom fans?

Quentin Tarantino

Martin Scorcese

Nicolas Winding Refn

Gaspard Noé

George Miller

James Mangold

90% of cinephalia and critics and dudebros

Inaritu

Villeneuve

Nolan if he never said yes to Batman, he needs to make his Rated R coming out

etc

Edited by The Futurist

56 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

From the reactions it does not sound like a DCU movie at all, I have no idea what you are talking about. The movies it's most compared to are from the early 2000's, which have a very unique kind of tone.

Anyways, I'm ready for this! I honestly think I will have fun with this one if Tom Hardy really did go for a comic tone here. It sure as hell doesn't sound forgettable anyway.

I think this movie'll be garbage but I'm liking for that first bit.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

More funny things to tell you how ridiculous Venom's marketing is:

When I translated those reactions to Chinese social media, Sony's local marketing partner connected me and questioned why I only translated negative reactions...

I had no choice but telling them there were negative reactions only on Twitter...

And they sent me this↓ to "expose" me...

Hide contents

Wow.  Unbelievable.

47 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Quentin Tarantino

Martin Scorcese

Nicolas Winding Refn

Gaspard Noé

George Miller

James Mangold

90% of cinephalia and critics and dudebros

Inaritu

Villeneuve

Nolan if he never said yes to Batman, he needs to make his Rated R coming out

etc

The guy that never made a R rated movie in a long time since Insomia, even a WW2 movie ? while having arguably the biggest greenlight power in Hollywood yeah right.... You are not just trolling.

Miller tested a PG-13 version of MadMax (that was apparently almost the same) and made kids movies, has if you are not reducing anyone position to a ridiculous strawmen.

• Thanks 1

You guys read those reactions and still thought “Not as bad as I thought it would be,” as if reactions from premieres aren’t typically positive 99% of the time. The fact that the people who chose to even comment on the movie barely had anything good to say all but confirms that this is movie is as bad as what people have been saying it is. 

I mean the most positive reaction out of the group was one that talks about how the movie wasn’t as bad as they thought it would be lmfao Even films like BvS and Suicide Squad has overly positive reactions. 

Im expecting an RT score below 20%.  

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Nova said:

You guys read those reactions and still thought “Not as bad as I thought it would be,” as if reactions from premieres aren’t typically positive 99% of the time. The fact that the people who chose to even comment on the movie barely had anything good to say all but confirms that this is movie is as bad as what people have been saying it is. 

I mean the most positive reaction out of the group was one that talks about how the movie wasn’t as bad as they thought it would be lmfao Even films like BvS and Suicide Squad has overly positive reactions. 

Im expecting an RT score below 20%.  

Yeah, I find these reviews less encouraging than others do...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Barnack said:

That said what was the last movie with a terrible multiplier and big only for OW reason that got a direct sequel ? Godzilla has yet to get one. Specially in the context they can use the most popular character in Suicide Squad (joker and Harley) in so many other movies, I can easily imagine them not minding not doing a Suicide Squad 2 anytime soon or at all.

• Like 3

Hmm..i'm not surprised.

The movie has a strong "Ghost Rider" (the first movie) vibe to it. Kind of edgy, unintentionally funny, a bizarrely entertaining lead, weird campy monsters e.t.c.

It could make for a fun two hours but i need to see more reviews., if its reviews are completely terrible then there's no point watching it. I ain't got no time for bad movies.

5 hours ago, Arlborn said:

From the reactions it does not sound like a DCU movie at all, I have no idea what you are talking about. The movies it's most compared to are from the early 2000's, which have a very unique kind of tone.

Anyways, I'm ready for this! I honestly think I will have fun with this one if Tom Hardy really did go for a comic tone here. It sure as hell doesn't sound forgettable anyway.

I'm sure the movie isn't particularly good but I highly doubt it's gonna be worthy of the seemingly inevitable "Worst. Movie. Ever!" reactions that always come whenever these types of movies open and get poor reviews (like most of the recent DCEU movies have). It takes a special kind of ineptitude for a movie to be Catwoman bad in 2018. Or maybe I'm just holding out false hope it won't be a total turd since they roped in so many good actors for this.