Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Sony also expected TASM 2 to make $1 Billion so falling far short of those expectations definitely dented their confidence. 

https://variety.com/2014/film/news/spider-man-2-facing-formidable-foes-at-foreign-box-office-1201157653/

If I'm not wrong, Sony's expectation was $300M DOM + $700M OS including ¥700M from CHN. Big disappointment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

It's hard to see how the poor marketing could cost them $100M.

Print costs.

A fixed amount for duplicating the movie onto canned film that were sent to theaters for projection.

It doesn't happen any more as everything is now done digitally. The studios agreed to keep paying the print costs direct to theater chains for a period of time to help cover the cost of conversion to digital projectors.

I'm not sure how long the agreement ran for, it may have expired now. In which case the marketing costs would drastically reduce.

The movie is gonna make big profits for Sony. Even 140 Dom + 330 OS-Ch + 70 Ch =  540 ww will give theatrical revenues of 210 :

140*0.55 + 330*0.35 + 70*0.25 = 210 ... covers all of it's budget most likely with non-theatrical revenue still to come. But sequels and franchise health will depend on reception.

• Like 2

just came out of cinema with friends,dam,I don't think those scores given by RT critics is right  on the spot.

this piece is no great comic movie for sure, but it is also not that bad at all.  my friends and I enjoy it a lot. 

btw: I never read one chapter of DC,Mavel comic books, never watch an episode of DC cartoon,watched a few episodes of marvel cartoon, never watched any single intact episode of dc or marvel tv drama, never purchase any dc or marvel toys or merchandise

• Like 6

The reviews aren’t that baffling it’s an extremely poorly made film. Generic story, acting is awful and the action is for the most part an uninspired cgi mess. Some really cringe attempts at comedy and there’s one scene that will likely go straight on some ‘what were they thinking’  lists.

Edited by ainsleyb
  • Haha 1

apparently this is funny. sometimes critics just don't have the sense of humour the general audience has, case in point, transformers 1. it's why I never trust critics with comedies, critics don't tend to be funny people so don't understand when a comedy is worth watching, look at we're the millers, it's hilarious and sitting on 30%

51 minutes ago, Jessie said:

apparently this is funny. sometimes critics just don't have the sense of humour the general audience has, case in point, transformers 1. it's why I never trust critics with comedies, critics don't tend to be funny people so don't understand when a comedy is worth watching, look at we're the millers, it's hilarious and sitting on 30%

While I agree about comedies I don't think it's a good thing here: the movie is not meant to be funny :

Genres:

Action | Horror | Sci-Fi | Thriller

If people thought it was funny then there's a problem there ^^"

28 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

While I agree about comedies I don't think it's a good thing here: the movie is not meant to be funny :

If people thought it was funny then there's a problem there ^^"

Thor Ragnarok

Rating:

PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive material)

Genre:

Action & Adventure, Drama, Science Fiction & Fantasy

Were we all wrong to laugh at that?

5 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Thor Ragnarok

Rating:

PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive material)

Genre:

Action & Adventure, Drama, Science Fiction & Fantasy

Were we all wrong to laugh at that?

They made it clear Thor 3 would be funny, and that's pretty much the Marvel brand now to have humor in their movies.

Venom is another story, people don't go there expecting to have a laugh.

37 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Suicide Squad did neither

Better legs than BvS does not mean GOOD legs. There is a reason that we aren't getting a Suicide Squad 2 in 2019.  You and some others continue to argue against what the actual studio is doing. WB took the best element from Suicide Squad and is sticking it into another film with a completely different director for a reason and it wasn't because Suicide Squad was a well received film. I hate to keep explaining the same thing over and over again but here we are.

• Like 3