Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

18 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're asking here.

CHILD 44 follows a guy trying to track down a serial killer against the backdrop of the Soviet Union and Stalin's purge of officials in the 1950s. The story is wrapped up. Some people die, some people live. The story is resolved. There's no hint of "aha, there's a new story beginning or about to come" -- the movie wraps up and ends. THE END.

Child 44 movie is the adaptation of a first book of a book trilogy.

They would not create a story for that movie sequel, just adapt the second book no, like they did for the first one, thus me asking why the create a story for is sequel comments, when the story already exist ?

The second movie would have been this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Speech_(novel)#Synopsis

In the three years since the events of Child 44, Leo Demidov  (Tom Hardy character) has established the Homicide Division within the KGB, which he uses to investigate what he calls "real crimes".....

I'm asking why you think they would have created a different story for that movie sequel, instead of using that one ?

I'm not sure how one know that they didn't had plan for it and that it was not a reason why they accepted to take a chance on a really big budget period movie, because of is sequel potential.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Barnack said:

They would not create a story for that movie sequel, just adapt the second book no, like they did for the first one, thus me asking why the create a story for is sequel comments, when the story already exist ?

I guess going back to the root of our discussion: yes, of course they would hope with a successful movie they could make more of them. This is true of literally almost every Hollywood project ever in development. But -- for me anyway -- there's a clear distinction between that a saying the first movie "hopes to launch a franchise", especially when you're talking about best-selling historical fiction as opposed to some fictional or fantastic universe. It seems odd (and weird) to tag Hardy as failing to start a franchise when basically he signed on to a prestige pic that ended up failing (not to mention it wasn't a very good movie at all).

• Like 1

Child 44 is the first part of a trilogy but at the same time its a self contained story.  If they didn't get an incompetent shitty B-movie director to make it, it may have done well and The Secret Speech and Agent 6 might have been made.  End of story.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

It seems odd (and weird) to tag Hardy as failing to start a franchise when basically he signed on to a prestige pic that ended up failing (not to mention it wasn't a very good movie at all).

No one save a 25% on RT movie of that genre for sure, the general comments was that almost all the movies with Hardy in the lead didn't work commercially, so Imagine that he is not perceived as a draw, combined with is reputation of being possibly hard to work with and is limited press junket ability/interest, in term of large paycheck lead role it is not surprising that they best he got was something like Venom from a director of that caliber (Zombieland was a massive success, but since then ?).

Not that it is fault those movie didn't work.

Maybe you are projecting more into the word franchise that I did, launch a franchise: Make a movie successful enough that the 2 book sequel adaptation get greenlight, nothing more than that (once you have books and movies, I did put it has a franchise, but it could be abusing the term from what it is normal use imply in term of level of popularity) .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Child 44 is the first part of a trilogy but at the same time its a self contained story.  If they didn't get an incompetent shitty B-movie director to make it, it may have done well and The Secret Speech and Agent 6 might have been made.  End of story.

Not sure why I didn't said it that simply (but I thought I did)

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If you had told me that the Gangster Squad guy was directing a Sony Venom spinoff, and then asked me if I would be interested in seeing it, my literal only answer would have been "If they cast Tom Hardy." So, guess I'm seeing this shit.

I had zero interest in this movie and now it one of my most anticipated 2018 blockbusters.  I would love to see Hardy in a Star Wars movies. Either in Knights of the Republic as Raven or Malak. or in Darth Bane movie as Darth Bane. Tom Hardy as a sith lord would be epic!

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

Okay im confused. So is Venom gonna look like Spiderman? If no, then whats the point of this? If yes, then how is that supposed to happen?

All reasonable paths of logic dictate that this movie should not work.

But Sony is doing it anyway. I have no idea what they're going to do with it but the Tom Hardy casting intrigues me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

All reasonable paths of logic dictate that this movie should not work.

But Sony is doing it anyway. I have no idea what they're going to do with it but the Tom Hardy casting intrigues me.

That's the thing though, the Tom Hardy casting will work for the online movie sphere, but he isn't a name actor for the GA. His most watched role has him under a mask and with a weird accent. And this isn't a Ryan Reynolds-Deadpool case where fans have been casting the actor forever. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That's the thing though, the Tom Hardy casting will work for the online movie sphere, but he isn't a name actor for the GA. His most watched role has him under a mask and with a weird accent. And this isn't a Ryan Reynolds-Deadpool case where fans have been casting the actor forever. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

I'm honestly not sure who wants this movie, other than Avi Arad and his weird Venom thing. Most be people in the CBM-sphere seem to be pretty dead set against it from the get-go and I'm not sure how attractive Venom can really be as a solo character, but I'd love if they just do something really off the wall with it. Maybe try do it like The Thing with the symbiote jumping about between a group that's stuck in close quarters with it or something. Going down a horror route with this could be real cool IMO.

Whatever happens, I'm pretty interested to see how this actually turns out.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

"hmm, i've wanted to get back into comic book movies, but i'm not sure about this one"

"all your dialogue will be spoken through a layer of black goo, it'll be your most inaudible role yet"

"sold"

:rofl:

From what I read, HOMECOMING 2 in 2019 is the last appearance of Spidey in MCU?

So if Sony releases VENOM in 2018 - and one VENOM origin movie without Spidey making an appearance is fine imo - they can have Spiderman and Venom in a movie by 2020/2021.

Maybe they hope/plan to let Holland to keep playing Spidey.

Just like Bat and Sup coming together in BVS, 2020/2021 could have a SPIDEY-VENOM movie acting like HOMECOMING 3/VENOM 2.

• Like 1

This is indeed very interesting that Hardy signed up, and yet seemingly ill-conceived at the outset...there must be something more to the story, here, in terms of planning long-term. 

I suppose this could be conceived like...Spawn?  Dark anti-hero with animated suit.  But it's already been done...badly...not a great model to start from. 

This would even make more sense with some other version of Venom/host (he's been multiple people in the comics, right?).  But tying it to Brock, as Sony has now officially confirmed, has all kinds of baggage.  Will they give him some "tragic back story" to make him "sympathetic"...? 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1