salvador-232

Chile Box Office

Local press is reporting 250k admissions for Endgame in OD. Pretty much in line with my expectations. But that doesn't mean it isn't impressive. Is 66% above Infinity War (including midnights for both) and 92% of the market share. A movie doing 250k on its first full week could be considered a blockbuster. The full weekend could reach 800k admissions.

USD total could be around ~1,7m USD (maybe more, dependent on ticket price). 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Local press is reporting 250k admissions for Endgame in OD. Pretty much in line with my expectations. But that doesn't mean it isn't impressive. Is 66% above Infinity War (including midnights for both) and 92% of the market share. A movie doing 250k on its first full week could be considered a blockbuster. The full weekend could reach 800k admissions.

USD total could be around ~1,7m USD (maybe more, dependent on ticket price). 
Comps please. Biggest OD Ever?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Surajjj said:

Comps please. Biggest OD Ever?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Yep, 66% above Infinity War, 171% above Dragon Ball Super Broly. 

Hard to get info for OD, for the full weekend I could have more comps. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 2

Weekend results: April, 25-29 

1. Endgame
  2. The Curse of La Llorona
  3. Dumbo
  4. Shazam
  5. Captain Marvel

Absolutely brutal, monstrous opening for Endgame.  935k admissions, biggest OW ever (Infinity War had the previous record with 597k) There are many holidays coming and I can see a path to 3m admissions. Just Wow. The weekend is locked to be over 6m USD

The only other thing of notice is that the OS animated movie Corgi held the line at 9th, keeping Chilean BO record alive for one more week. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update on the only thing people care: Endgame had a 6,5m USD OW, beating previous IW record by 44% in dollars (despite 10% worse ER) JUST INSANE. It is equivalent to a 513m opening domestic...

Honestly, I think this is as close as the maximum ceiling that the market can do. Hard to see it being topped in a long time. Now one question remains: Can Endgame be the first movie ever to reach 3m admissions? 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

Just a quick update on the only thing people care: Endgame had a 6,5m USD OW, beating previous IW record by 44% in dollars (despite 10% worse ER) JUST INSANE. It is equivalent to a 513m opening domestic...

Honestly, I think this is as close as the maximum ceiling that the market can do. Hard to see it being topped in a long time. Now one question remains: Can Endgame be the first movie ever to reach 3m admissions? 

Nice

Can it hit $20M at the end? 

53 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Difficult but not totally impossible if it hits 3m admissions. I give it a 10-20% chance of happening. 

How many admissions so far? 

What is your prediction about the total gross in Chile?

29 minutes ago, Nakamura said:

How many admissions so far? 

What is your prediction about the total gross in Chile?

Don't know how many admission. Will know when it breaks another record or maybe after this weekend. 

My prediction for total gross right now is  ~18m USD

Endgame second weekend was 4m USD if the trades are to be believed. No idea about total cume so ar but should be 13-14m USD already. Astonishing. 

On other news, Detective Pikachu has passed Shazam in total presales despite fewer seats available and with many hours to go. I will wait until the evening to see how high it will go. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Endgame second weekend was 4m USD if the trades are to be believed. No idea about total cume so ar but should be 13-14m USD already. Astonishing. 

On other news, Detective Pikachu has passed Shazam in total presales despite fewer seats available and with many hours to go. I will wait until the evening to see how high it will go. 

Nice. Hope it can earn $6-7M more

Detective Pikachu Presales | 2 days before release | 17% of the Market

59 showtimes for OD | 12.942 seats available | 851 tickets sold 

Very good presales, 37% ahead of Shazam. Taking into account the strong pre-sales for the rest of the weekend, I think this points towards a 1m USD OW (roughly equivalent with 80m domestic). Is possible for it to go higher, but depends on how many showtimes it gets. 

• Like 2

Some actuals from Last Weekend (May 2-5)

TW LW Movie Studio Weekend Gross Change Screens Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
- 1 Avengers: Endgame Disney $4,040,203 -37.9% n/a - n/a $13,541,793 2
- 2 Dumbo (2019) Disney $110,731 -22.2% n/a - n/a $2,831,868 6
- N Gloria Bell Sony $30,201 - 22 - $1,373 $30,201 1
- 3 Captain Marvel Disney $19,426 -54.9% n/a - n/a $7,232,499 9
- 4 Five Feet Apart Muchos $1,607 -27.1% n/a -2 n/a $901,528 7

Awesome hold for Endgame, with an extremely impressive cume of 13,5m USD. With Infinity War legs from here on it would end with 19,7m USD. Considering it faces more competition I think it will end a bit short of that. 

The rest is very negligible outside of Dumbo that was doing impressive numbers given that it had very little showtimes 

• Like 5

I'm not going to do last weekend actuals since the only things doing relevant numbers outside Endgame are WB releases that don't get reported. 

But let's talk about Endgame:

Chile 1 4 $1,465,550 -63.7% - - -

$15,871,727

It became the highest grossing release ever both in local currency and USD, the first movie ever to get past 15m USD and due to Argentina's devaluation, Chile will become its third largest market in Latin America (despite being behind Colombia, Perú, Argentina and Central America in admissions).

On the bad news: This is literally one of the worst holds I've ever seen for a movie still in wide release. It got its fair share of showtimes cuts to make room for Pikachu but it was still the widest release. On another hand, it's hardly surprising considering that IW fell 56% on its third weekend facing zero competition (The thing is that restrictions on discounts were lifted, and the given the movie frontloadeness and very high average ticket price, the admission bump was nowhere close to compensating the $ loss unlike most major movies). But the 20m dream is more than dead and 19m is in danger too. 

The bad news doesn't end here. It still hasn't beaten Infinity War in admissions, otherwise, the press would have reported it. I waited all week for the announcement but it didn't happen. Considering that it's gross at the end of last weekend already implies a number close to 2,3m admissions (record by IW must be around 2,35 counting independent-arthouse system) the implication is that these weekdays have been awful.

BTW: I couldn't get numbers for Pikachu but I stand by my 1m USD estimate given my theatre checks over the weekend. 

Now, on to this weekend: 

Endgame still on top but could be overtaken by Pikachu on weekend proper if the holds are as bad as it seems. Very good debut for John Wick 3. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

I'm not going to do last weekend actuals since the only things doing relevant numbers outside Endgame are WB releases that don't get reported. 

But let's talk about Endgame:

Chile 1 4 $1,465,550 -63.7% - - -

$15,871,727

It became the highest grossing release ever both in local currency and USD, the first movie ever to get past 15m USD and due to Argentina's devaluation, Chile will become its third largest market in Latin America (despite being behind Colombia, Perú, Argentina and Central America in admissions).

On the bad news: This is literally one of the worst holds I've ever seen for a movie still in wide release. It got its fair share of showtimes cuts to make room for Pikachu but it was still the widest release. On another hand, it's hardly surprising considering that IW fell 56% on its third weekend facing zero competition (The thing is that restrictions on discounts were lifted, and the given the movie frontloadeness and very high average ticket price, the admission bump was nowhere close to compensating the $ loss unlike most major movies). But the 20m dream is more than dead and 19m is in danger too. 

The bad news doesn't end here. It still hasn't beaten Infinity War in admissions, otherwise, the press would have reported it. I waited all week for the announcement but it didn't happen. Considering that it's gross at the end of last weekend already implies a number close to 2,3m admissions (record by IW must be around 2,35 counting independent-arthouse system) the implication is that these weekdays have been awful.

BTW: I couldn't get numbers for Pikachu but I stand by my 1m USD estimate given my theatre checks over the weekend. 

Now, on to this weekend: 

Endgame still on top but could be overtaken by Pikachu on weekend proper if the holds are as bad as it seems. Very good debut for John Wick 3. 

Hope it can hit $19M at the end :(

Aladdin presales, 6 days before release, 17% of the market. 

49 showings for OD | 10936 seats available | 76 tickets sold 

My god, this thing is actually trailing fucking Alita Battle Angel in presales, ALITA. Granted, is a family film, not bound to be pre-sale heavy, but Alita presales were so awful that I thought I would never use them for comps...

Now, if it behaves like Alita, is not going to be that bad. It would still be a bomb given the brand, but likely would still manage around 500k USD OW or more given ts family nature. If it behaves like literally any other comp tough, Solo would look like a little Molotov bomb in comparison. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

If it follows IW it would still hit it with relative ease, but that is unlikely given it faces way more competition. But it does have room for more error. 

Do you think the total cume after this Thursday can be $17M ???