salvador-232

Chile Box Office

Actuals from last weekend. No data for anything else in the top 10. 

TW Movie Studio Weekend Gross Change Screens Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
1 Deadpool 2 Fox $1,963,677 - 213 - $9,219 $1,963,677 1
2 Avengers: Infinity War Disney $750,177 -40.9% n/a - n/a $12,971,955 4
3 Sherlock Gnomes PPI $107,572 -10.9% 67 - $1,606 $305,494 2
5 Disobedience Sony $34,529 - 13 - $2,656 $34,529 1
  • Thanks 1

Now what we all been waiting for... 

"Han Solo" debuted SECOND on its opening day, behind Deadpool 2. That's just embarrassing, really embarrassing. I expected that fans rushing to premium formats would at least give the edge to Solo on its OD and then lost the rest of the weekend to Deadpool, but Solo did not even achieve that. 

For the first time in the Disney Era, Star Wars have not opened at first place at the Chilean Box office, and honestly, I'd be shocked if the prequels didn't open first.

Well, this happened in large part because Fox lifted restrictions on Deadpool 2 early. There was no reason for doing that (since there are hardly anything else to see in the cinemas besides Solo, D2, and IW) besides maybe pettiness. The only hope for Solo now is to attract kids and families on the proper weekend, but its performance looks to be really bad. 

Speaking of kids and families, the russian animation "Fixies" debuted fifth (high for animation on non-holidays weekdays). The fact that it got a wide release shows how desperate families are for an animated flick, a fertile ground for Incredibles 2 to land on.

• Like 2

Weekend placements: 

# Thursday Friday Saturday  Sunday
1.- Deadpool 2 Deadpool 2 Deadpool 2 Deadpool 2
2.- Han Solo Han Solo Infinity War Infinity War
3.- Infinity War Infinity War Han Solo Han Solo
4.- I Feel Pretty Fixies Fixies Fixies
5.- Fixies Sherlock Gnomes Sherlock Gnomes Sherlock Gnomes

Solo's disaster got even more embarrassing, losing the biggest days of the weekend to Infinity Wat and ending third.  Is in real danger to be the weakest Star Wars film ever*: Attack of the Clones did $1,759,483 USD in 2002 when the Chilean market was a quarter of its current size. The actual gross won't be available until Thursday or Friday but Solo did not open to more than 450K USD (absolutely best case scenario) considering it fell below IW fourth weekend. 

To its favor, there really won't be any new significant competition until Incredibles 2 so it will retain a disproportionate number of screens relative to its gross. It could be leggy, but with such a low opening its prospects are very dire. It also regained second place on Monday for what is worth. 

Deadpool continues its reign unchallenged meanwhile Infinity War must be already the second biggest movie of all time, but there has not been any press release from the distributor, so depending on this weekend drop (which will determine if it can beat Coco or not) we could not see any admission number until the government releases its report at the end of the year. That would be sad.   

The other new release besides Solo, Fixies was fourth, a sign that the market screams for animated blockbusters. Really, cinemas are selling previews for fucking Pocoyo, I'm not even kidding... 

*When I talk about "all time" or "ever" I will always be referring to post-1990. Before that, the market must have been honestly insignificant for a number of reasons like poverty and permanent curfew due to Pinochet's dictatorship, though there aren't any public numbers for that period. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We finally have some numbers from Mojo. First of all, Solo debuted at the higher end of the expectations with $453,138  and actually defeated Infinity War. I subestimated the strength of Thursday and Friday. Despite that, the opening weekend is still terrible, 59% lower than Rogue One. It will need a 3.89 multiplier to not be the lowest grossing Star Wars film ever, TFA has the best of the Disney era so far with 3.62... It's not impossible since it doesn't have any competition for two weeks, but I would bet against it. It lost a lot of showtimes this weekend because of its poor debut. Disney sensed the weakness since it had a very soft restriction that ended today, but because of its softness the benefit this weekend will be muted. 

Infinity War had a very solid drop of -50,6% and now is all but locked to be the most viewed movie of all time in Chile, ending the short reign of Coco, much to my regret. It's a done deal unless it collapses in the next two weeks, but is very unlikely: although it continues to lose showtimes, there isn't any major opening until the Incredibles in two weeks. With $13,716,673 is just 70k away from the record in USD, currently held by Ice Age 4 with $13,783,204

No data for Deadpool 2, maybe tomorrow. 

There are several new releases this weekend, opening wide: A Haunting ; Two tails (yet another sign of how desperate the market is for any kind of animation). Semi-wide: Midnight Sun. Limited: Bacalaureat. A haunting will be probably the only one that will make an impact since horror does well here. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Weekend placements: 

2.- Infinity War Infinity War Infinity War Infinity War
3.- Han Solo Han Solo Han Solo Han Solo
4.- A Haunting A Haunting Two Tails Two Tails
5.- Two Tails Two Tails A Haunting A Haunting

Deadpool 2 continues its reign, sadly there still no data from last weekend. Infinity War regained the second spot and should have had another solid drop, probably less than 50%. As of June 1st it had 2.165.582 admissions and it likely reached 2,2M at the end of the weekend. There is very little on its way to dethrone Coco, which final tally was 2.240.711 admissions. Finish range for IW is looking to 2,240-2,300M tickets sold. Key difference is that IW will get there from 1M admissions on its opening week while Coco had 147K. 

Anyway, Solo is a total disaster, even with restrictions lifted it is looking to a drop north of 60% (maybe the early lift didn't help since Chileans have naturalized the two weeks of restrictions and were unaware of it). So, congratulations Solo, you will be the lowest grossing Star Wars movie ever in Chile! Anecdotally I'd say that this poor result is caused more by disinterest than TLJ backlash. People just don't care about young Solo. In any case, its numbers are so pathetic that the local distributor refused to give admissions numbers to the press. 

The new releases followed the typical pattern of family movies moving ahead on Saturday and Sunday. As expected, A Haunting was favored by little competition and I don't know who is releasing these Russian animated movies but Two Tails replaced its compatriot Fixies on the fourth place. 

Stay tuned for actuals on USD on Thursday/Friday 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Actuals from last weekend 

1 Deadpool 2 Fox $851,271 - 175 - $4,864 $4,934,626 3
2 Avengers: Infinity War Disney $319,966 -13.7% n/a - n/a $14,100,497 6
3 Solo: A Star Wars Story Disney $240,921 -46.8% n/a - n/a $741,702 2
6 Midnight Sun Sun $39,305 - 25 - $1,572 $39,305 1

Excellent hold for IW, I knew it would be good but this is great. IW is now the highest grossing movie of all time, even facing a bad ER.

Deadpool 2 also did excellently, it already outgrossed the first one by 17% and will be one of the highest grossing solo superhero movies ever.

Solo did soso, is not as bad as I thought but is still very bad considering it was out of restriction. It has this weekend left until Incredibles 2 destroys it along with everything else. 

This week's releases: Ocean's 8; Mercy; Jusqu'à la garde ; Hereditary ; Still/Born

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Highest Grossing movies of all time in USD

1.-Avengers: Infinity War (2018) : $14,100,497 | ER at release: 630 CLP = 1 USD

2.-Ice Age 4 (2012): $13,783,204 |  505 CLP     

3.-Stefan vs Kramer (2012) : $11,959,834 |  480 CLP 

4.-Avatar (2009) $10,491,936 | 501 CLP

5.-Minions (2015): $10,244,790 | 650 CLP   

6.-Coco (2017) : $10,009,654 | 633 CLP   

7.-Furious 7 (2015): $9,659,056  | 614 CLP  

8.-The Avengers (2012) $9,247,146 | 486 CLP    

9.-Toy Story 3 (2010) $8,755,357 | 536 CLP 

10.-Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) $8,463,006 | 704 CLP

A low number in CLP means better ER.  Movies before 2014 had it easy, and it's quite different to the top 10 in admissions. 

Infinity War is not over yet but it won't reach 15M USD since its weekdays are dead. Still extremely impressive. The only movie that might dethrone would be Avengers 4. After this weekend IW will also reign in admissions. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

If I am not mistaken, AIW is now the all-time champ in Brazil and now in Chile. Did it achieve the same feat in any other Latin American countries? 

Yes, In local currency is all time Champ in: Mexico, Central America, Bolivia, Venezuela (kinda pointless since hyper-inflation), Ecuador, Peru. In admissions is another story though but I don't have that many data right now, the same for USD 

Edited by salvador-232

And well, a little earlier than I thought but now is official: Infinity War is the new king with 2.248.000 admissions until yesterday. Coco estimates also did go up a little to 2.241.155. Finish range will likely go under 2,3M admissions but we won't have real data until next year (or until another movie breaks a record). I've edited the top ten.

Infinity War now is the #1 in tickets sold, gross in local currency, in dollars, and highest opening week. Great phenomenon, aided by goodwill gradually built up by the MCU over the years, great release date and facing a barren wasteland at the box office (Deadpool 2 was the only competition). I don't know if Avengers 4 will be as lucky in terms of competition as this one but should be another huge phenomenon.  

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Weekend's Placements 

2.- Ocean's 8 Ocean's 8 Ocean's 8 Ocean's 8
3.- Hereditary Hereditary Infinity War Infinity War
4.- Infinity War Infinity War Hereditary Hereditary
5.- Han Solo Han Solo Han Solo Han Solo

As noted by Deadline, Deadpool 2 retained the top spot for the fourth weekend in a row. It grossed approx 735K USD in the last seven days an so far has beaten the first one by 35% and should have enough steam left to reach 6M USD comfortably, an excellent result in the high end of Super-Hero grosses (and by far the best for a "solo" movie).

Ocean's 8 had a very good debut, especially considering that as far as chilean audiences are concerned it may as well be an original movie. Depending on actuals maybe it could have outgrossed Ocean's 13 on its first weekend.

Hereditary fought with IW for the third place. IW fell 41% per deadline, for an approx 188k gross. Hereditary should be around that number. For hereditary is a good result for horror but it likely suffered from competition from Still/Born (7th place) and the fact that there has been a lot of horror releases in the recent weeks. IW will suffer a lot next weekend with the loss of screens to Incredibles 2. 

Solo at least will (likely) gross 1M USD. That's the best that can be said about its horrendous performance. 

In a rare occurrence, there was not a single animated movie in the top 5, Two tales fell to sixth. The calm before the storm? 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 4

Incredibles 2 open on Thursday. 

Pixar Movies since 2010.

Toy Story 3: $1,381,076 OW | $8,755,357 Total | 6.34 Multiplier

Cars 2: $1,163,276 OW | $5,424,295 Total | 4.66 Multiplier
Brave: $845,056 OW | $4,406,392 Total | 5.21 Multiplier
Monsters University: $1,451,589 OW | $8,179,562 Total | 5.63 Multiplier
Inside Out: $935,641 OW | $7,434,521 Total| 7.9 Multiplier
Good Dinosaur: $477,359 OW | $2,994,165 Total | 6.27 Multiplier
Finding Dory: Opening weekend not available, Opening WEEK $1,270M aprox. | Total $7,026,238
Cars 3: $1,040,714 OW | $3,212,962 Total | 3.09 Multiplier
Coco: $544,163 OW | $10,009,654 Total | 18.39 Multiplier

The original Incredibles did  $1,682,902 in 2004, excellent for that time. 

I have very high expectations for I2, there's a lot of hype, Pixar is a strong brand, appeals to kids, young and adults, and the market is starving for quality animation. The sad fact that Chile didn't qualify to the WC will also help.  I think it can do Monsters University numbers despite 20% worse ER. The release date is awkward tough, the best time for animated movies in Chile is Winter's Holidays, this year they are staggered across the country but in the capital (55% of the market) Holidays start on the second half of July, so I2 will need strong legs to benefit from it. On another hand, Jurassic World 2 opening on its second weekend could affect it but I'd say that the market is so starved for family movies that they can coexist. 

Pixar movies are also very sensitive to quality and WOM. Being a sequel can buy you a big opening (and this is guaranteed to a 1M USD at the very at least) but the legs will depend on the reception, take Inside Out beating Dory for example.  So far RT is looking good on this front. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 5

Incredibles 2 opens tomorrow and the number of showtimes is huge. Is not that far off from IW which had a saturation level over 70%. Obviously, it won't open that high but I hope it can beat or at least came close of the animated record that is 2,2M of Ice Age 4 (That had a much better release date in winter's holidays though and, above all, much better ER, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't quite get there) The bad thing is that it will probably have a harsh second weekend drop since Jurassic World will take a lot of its screens. 

Somo other random news and info: 

Deadpool 2 has 973.766 so far and should pass the 1M milestone, something that is hard for non-animation. 

Black Panther had 882.785 viewers, beating Spiderman for most viewed "solo" movie of the MCU. Is great of course, but is down more to the absolute lack of competition than reception (which has not really spectacular). The thing is, there was literally nothing else to see in March... This is a pattern that has repeated all over the year, tentpoles that make a lot of money and a drought until the next big opening, rinse and repeat. Despite this, the year is looking for a healthy increase thanks to Coco (which technically is a 2017 holdover) and IW. 2017 was the first time that the Chilean box office stagnated. 

Also, Chile will have its own Academy of Cinema, it was one of the few latin american countries that didn't have one. This looks to capitalize on the success of Chilean cinema at international awards and to organize better the field. Chilean movies are in a particular situation where they get a critical success and awards (two Oscars in the last few years) but fail miserably at the local box office. Coco and Infinity War have outsold all the Chilean movies released in the last 4 years, combined, something that has the local directors very worried. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 4

The Incredibles 2 opened first as expected, I checked some showings and the performance was particularly strong in the capital and overall excellent for animation on Thursday. Let's hope Deadline orMojo throws a bone in the weekend. 

In other releases "Blockers" debuted at sixth and "Life of the Party" at eight. IW felt hard the loss of screens and fell below Hereditary after toping it in the weekdays. 

Also, some actuals from last weekend: Deadpool 2 grossed 466k USD (-45.2%) for a total of $5,626,014.

Infinity War grossed $195,186 for a total of $14,370,631. Won't reach 15M USD.

Solo grossed $123,733 and fell 48%. Holds are really bad and it is getting murdered with the screen loses. Total is now $915,622 and should barely crawl over 1M USD. It will likely have a record though, worst multiplier for a wide release... is targeting a torrid 2,2 multiplier, the previous holder was TASM 2 with 2,36 (for the record, TASM 2 grossed more on its first weekend than Solo will in its total run...) 

• Like 2

Weekend's Placements:

1.-Incredibles 2

2.- Deadpool 2

3.- Oceans' 8

4.- Hereditary

5.- Avengers Infinity War

There was no change at all in positions from Thursday to Sunday for the top 5. 

Incredibles 2 scored the best Pixar opening of all time according to Deadline, but those records are always in local currency. That means that I2 did at least 1,18M USD (MU OW adjusted), I hope it get closer to 2M USD with actuals. 

Deadpool 2 held very well, the same as Hereditary, which displaced IW to fifth place. IW should leave most theaters next weekend with Jurassic World 2 release

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Actuals in admissions for Incredibles 2! Best Pixar OW ever with 270.000 admissions, which depending on average ticket price would be around 1,5M-1,7M USD (with a slim chance of outgrossing the entire run of the first one!), it had restrictions and premium formats did very well but there was still a discount for kids, I'm thinking maybe 6 USD per ticket.

With these results, Incredibles 2 should make it to the top 10 of all time. 

• Like 5

TW Movie Studio Weekend Gross Change Screens Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
1 Incredibles 2 Disney $1,854,204 - n/a - n/a $1,854,204 1
2 Deadpool 2 Fox $226,565 -51.4% 122 -28 $1,857 $5,986,422 5
4 Hereditary Diamond $106,336 ?- 42 - $2,532 $330,906 2
5 Avengers: Infinity War Disney $89,089 -54.4% n/a - n/a $14,508,781 8
6 Solo: A Star Wars Story Disney $33,695 -72.8% n/a - n/a $976,335 4
7 Blockers AF $28,688 - 29 - $989 $28,688 1

WB isn't reporting gross for Ocean's 8 but it was between Hereditary and Deadpool and is holding at the top of Comscore's daily placements.

Incredibles 2  did even better than expected beating handily previous Pixar record Monsters University (1,4M). Outgrossed the entire run of the first one in 4 days! I think weekend admissions were underestimated, but if they were right it had a mindblowing average ticket price of $6,86, equal to Infinity War. Newspapers reported 351.711 tickets sold on its first full week, best ever for Pixar besting Cars 3 (which had 338K boosted by winter holidays). That's 7th of all time for animation, but its hard to compare since most of the top was boosted by winter holidays that Incredibles will have later on its run. 

Now, I2 lost a lot of premium formats to Jurassic World 2, that will affect its second-weekend drop. Let's see how it fares. 

Deadpool 2 held well all thing considered, is behaving a bit better than your standard superhero movie in terms of holds, but as I have said, its total is the best for a solo movie, and it will end not that far off from Civil War. 

Hereditary did great considering the number of screens, horror has been very strong all the year. Infinity War finally felt the loss of screens and this weekend it will be even uglier. Solo is just sad, nothing else to say. Very bad performance for Blockers, is the kind of movie that lasts two weeks on cinemas. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 2

This weekend releases: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and  Book Club.

• Jurassic World (2015): $1,288,056 OW | $6,077,033 Total | 4.72 Multiplier 

Thursday's placements: 

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom debuted at first place, but considering the drops OS and the strength of I2 I have doubts that it will remain there for the whole weekend. Animation rises on Fridays and especially Saturdays and Sundays. To its advantage, it has most of the premium formats and should have a higher average ticket price. My money is for I2 taking the weekend again but we'll see. 

Book Club (Cuando ellas quieren in Spanish) debuted at sixth, but I don't know if there is enough market for it, Ocean's 8 (fourth) and Life of the Party (ninth). Oceans and Deadpool are holding very well. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 1