Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

Seems to be a lot of talk that $2 billion is dead. That's just not the case 

It's at $713 million OS after 12 days. That means it made about $330 million in the last 7 days. A 55% drop over the next 7 gives it $861 million through next Sunday minus China. Even if it drops 60% a week after that (which isn't likely) it'll be at $960 million. It's going to do a $1 billion OS - China. 

Then comes the China factor. Almost impossible to predict the final number but the opening weekend is going to be $200m+

I'd put the floor in China at $350m and the ceiling at, who knows but lets say $600m (not likely, just possible). So even with $350m we're at $1.35 billion OS. Domestically we're going to end up around $650m. That's $2 billion right there with China on the low end of its possibilities. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Without spoilers obviously, how worthwhile are the post-credits scenes in Infinity War if I'm not really an MCU obsessive? Can I bail once the thing ends or is there something legitimately cool afterwards?

The credits are long as shit and I doubt the one scene will mean much to you, most ppl had to look it up online lol

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Without spoilers obviously, how worthwhile are the post-credits scenes in Infinity War if I'm not really an MCU obsessive? Can I bail once the thing ends or is there something legitimately cool afterwards?

You likely won't understand it if you're not MCU crazed. 

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I left because all my friends wanted to leave and just looked it up online and thought “eh sure it’s cool whatever.”  You’d be fine just doing that

Edited by That One Guy

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's a cute scene. I'd stick around for it.

3 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

Seems to be a lot of talk that $2 billion is dead. That's just not the case 

It's at $713 million OS after 12 days. That means it made about $330 million in the last 7 days. A 55% drop over the next 7 gives it $861 million through next Sunday minus China. Even if it drops 60% a week after that (which isn't likely) it'll be at $960 million. It's going to do a $1 billion OS - China. 

Then comes the China factor. Almost impossible to predict the final number but the opening weekend is going to be $200m+

I'd put the floor in China at $350m and the ceiling at, who knows but lets say $600m (not likely, just possible). So even with $350m we're at $1.35 billion OS. Domestically we're going to end up around $650m. That's $2 billion right there with China on the low end of its possibilities. 

This is highly optimistic. I think it will stall around 1.7-1.8 billion. I just don’t think China and the OS market will put up as much money as everyone is predicting. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The credits are long as shit and I doubt the one scene will mean much to you, most ppl had to look it up online lol

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

You likely won't understand it if you're not MCU crazed. 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I left because all my friends wanted to leave and just looked it up online and thought “eh sure it’s cool whatever.”  You’d be fine just doing that

Ok thanks. I've heard about the length of the credits and I'm pretty sure I'll be wanting to grab a bite or something by that point instead of watching names for 10+ minutes. (And of course there's the need to demonstrate to my packed IMAX showing how edgy and punk I am that I can just leave right away while they all sit there like Marvel's bitches)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

This is highly optimistic. I think it will stall around 1.7-1.8 billion. I just don’t think China and the OS market will put up as much money as everyone is predicting. 

How is this at all optimistic? Lets take $1.75b as the middle of your prediction. It's at $1.165 billion already. At a bare minimum it will do $150m more domestic (which would be worse legs than Civil War from 10 days out). That's $1.315 billion. China presales are tracking ahead of FF8 (biggest opening ever in China, $196m). Lets say it crashes and burns and only does $250m there total (basically impossible). That's $1.565 billion. You really think after making $330m in it's last 7 days OS that it's only going to make $200m more total in the next 3-5 weeks? 

All I can say is.... 

:apocalypse:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Mad Titan said:

How is this at all optimistic? Lets take $1.75b as the middle of your prediction. It's at $1.165 billion already. At a bare minimum it will do $150m more domestic (which would be worse legs than Civil War from 10 days out). That's $1.315 billion. China presales are tracking ahead of FF8 (biggest opening ever in China, $196m). Lets say it crashes and burns and only does $250m there total (basically impossible). That's $1.565 billion. You really think after making $330m in it's last 7 days OS that it's only going to make $200m more total in the next 3-5 weeks? 

All I can say is.... 

:apocalypse:

You are arguing with a joke account...

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Would recommend not seeing it if you feel like you want to stay in the mood the ending and music of the end credit put you in. Kind of movie that they could really not go with the gimmick.

Just now, That One Guy said:

THERE ARE A LOT OF LOUD SENIORS IN MY TULLY SHOWING AND IT SMELLS LIKE OLD PEOPLE.

AM I GETTING @WrathOfHan‘ed?

One might place a bag near you

tumblr_ovo73tY5gP1tlgqkgo4_400.gif

• Astonished 2

23 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Nah like IronJimbo said a lot of people kept saying how it’s gonna reach 2 billion. And let’s be real here this movie is 10 years in the making it features popular characters like guardians and black panther - the latter which was a huge phenomenon. It also had the highest opening weekend of ALL TIME. If the movie doesn’t reach at least 700 DOM and 2 billion WW it will be a bit embarrassing. I mean even star wars that’s a huge flop WW (compared to global juggernauts like Avatar) reached that number.  

definitely, @GraceRandolph is IronJimbo's "alter her'go"

That said...

1- the difference between Marvel and SW/Avatar for example, in those "10-15 years in the making", is that SW/Avatar needed 10-15 years muted ($0 income) while Marvel made $16B ww + merchandise + ... So, yeah. IW might or might not make 700M dom and 2B ww (600M dom and 1.8 ww?) but it will have been already way far more profitable in these last 10 years than SW or Avatar. 

2- GOTG and BP are popular now. They were not before the movies. So that's again another +1 for Marvel's excellent work "in the making".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

THERE ARE A LOT OF LOUD SENIORS IN MY TULLY SHOWING AND IT SMELLS LIKE OLD PEOPLE.

AM I GETTING @WrathOfHan‘ed?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP

Maybe it'll be like my Blockers showing the other day where the audience was loud during commercials but shut up during the movie :thinking: