Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Without spoilers obviously, how worthwhile are the post-credits scenes in Infinity War if I'm not really an MCU obsessive? Can I bail once the thing ends or is there something legitimately cool afterwards?

You can bail out, the post credit scene is nothing special and I speak as a marvel loonie .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

Seems to be a lot of talk that $2 billion is dead. That's just not the case 

It's at $713 million OS after 12 days. That means it made about $330 million in the last 7 days. A 55% drop over the next 7 gives it $861 million through next Sunday minus China. Even if it drops 60% a week after that (which isn't likely) it'll be at $960 million. It's going to do a $1 billion OS - China. 

Then comes the China factor. Almost impossible to predict the final number but the opening weekend is going to be $200m+

I'd put the floor in China at $350m and the ceiling at, who knows but lets say $600m (not likely, just possible). So even with $350m we're at $1.35 billion OS. Domestically we're going to end up around $650m. That's $2 billion right there with China on the low end of its possibilities. 

I wonder how the Chinese will react to the ending. Other than that after this weekend’s os result, 2 billion and passing TFA worldwide is still quite possible unless of course we have another negative surprise in the u.s next weekend.

6 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

definitely, @GraceRandolph is IronJimbo's "alter her'go"

That said...

1- the difference between Marvel and SW/Avatar for example, in those "10-15 years in the making", is that SW/Avatar needed 10-15 years muted ($0 income) while Marvel made $16B ww + merchandise + ... So, yeah. IW might or might not make 700M dom and 2B ww (600M dom and 1.8 ww?) but it will have been already way far more profitable in these last 10 years than SW or Avatar. 

2- GOTG and BP are popular now. They were not before the movies. So that's again another +1 for Marvel's excellent work "in the making".

Marvel properties is the biggest phenomenon in the history of cinema and nobody can take that away. Over 5.5 billion $ worldwide in 2018 alone , possibly close to 6 billion from marvel properties. Nothing more needs to be said, everything else pales in comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah Downfall really suffers from those parodys (especially that one scene). Its still a great film.

If you want to know more good german movies (there arent that many trust me), i can recommend Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others), M (1931), Victoria (2015), Das Parfüm (The Perfume, 2006), Run Lola Run (1998) and Der Nachtmahr (2015).

Opps, I left out the lives of others in my german movie list, that was so great, I watched that film thanks to pan's labyrinth because I was so curious how a german film beat out pan's labyrinth in best foreign language film category when the odds was in pan's favour.

After watching, immediately the film entered my all time top 100 list.

As in the case of downfall, I can't put myself in a very serious position when went through some scenes, especially keep having a doubt of "Is the subtitle here correct?"  

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Any number of less than $2,187,463,944 would be a amazing run and satisfying run.... 

:hahaha:you are definately one of the best posters here and I hate titanic...

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Without spoilers obviously, how worthwhile are the post-credits scenes in Infinity War if I'm not really an MCU obsessive? Can I bail once the thing ends or is there something legitimately cool afterwards?

There’s one at the end.  I’ll say if anything it just took away from the impact of the ending of the actual movie.  It’s really nothing special or clever imo

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

No spider man , no x-men, no Deadpool e.t.c in there. Marvel is in another stratosphere compared to everything else , all things considered.

There is no comparision. Another insane statistic is that after avengers 4 ends the phase 3, Phase 3 of MCU itself will be the 2nd highest grossing “franchise” after the MCU itself. :ohmygod:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

Not a bad but not an amazing start to May.

Avengers making over a $1 billion worldwide in its 2nd weekend is pretty impressive! Still curious to see if it’s a possibility  it outgrosses The Avengers.

Overboard’s debut was actually pretty good when it was all said and done. The film cost $12 million, it’s theater count was small, and  it’s two leads arent big names who bring in blockbuster numbers. 

Edited by Maxmoser3

21 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

The average might climb to 900m per film before AMATW comes out. Insane. 

I'm rooting for AMATW to hit 300 DOM even though I still don't believe it will. If it does though, MCU will have at least a 10 consecutive film 300m streak DOM:

1. GotG2

2. Homecoming

3. Ragnarok

4. BP

5. IW

6. AMATW

7. Captain Marvel

8. TA4

9. Homecoming 2

10. GotG3

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

and  it’s two leads arent big names who bring in blockbuster numbers. 

Derbez is one of the biggest draw in the Mexico/many part of the US no ? In theater but even more on home entertainment.

38 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

How is this at all optimistic? Lets take $1.75b as the middle of your prediction. It's at $1.165 billion already. At a bare minimum it will do $150m more domestic (which would be worse legs than Civil War from 10 days out). That's $1.315 billion. China presales are tracking ahead of FF8 (biggest opening ever in China, $196m). Lets say it crashes and burns and only does $250m there total (basically impossible). That's $1.565 billion. You really think after making $330m in it's last 7 days OS that it's only going to make $200m more total in the next 3-5 weeks? 

All I can say is.... 

:apocalypse:

I appreciate your analysis but the realistic numbers will be.

900 OS

300 China

600 US

total: 1,8. It might go a bit higher or lower but under no circumstances will it reach 2 billion. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.  Also don’t forget that DeadPool and Solo are coming to cut it’s legs off 

25 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

MCU established the blueprint for the competition and still demolished them.

Who else can step up? Who else can win like this?

5 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

900 OS

300 China

600 US

total: 1,8. It might go a bit higher or lower but under no circumstances will it reach 2 billion. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.  Also don’t forget that DeadPool and Solo are coming to cut it’s legs off 

It'd need shit legs to only hit 300mil in China..... and to only add 150mil domestic from where it is now.

• Like 1

It's crazy how Marvel is so successful still and growing, when essentially most of their films are the same, just repackaged. Superhero(s), big bad super villain enters the scene, a few jokes, lots of punching each other and blowing things up, superhero nearly loses, then superhero wins when all seems lost.  And they can do this 2 or 3 times a year now! Easy money for Disney, Fiege and co. IW probably follow same formula too, but over 2 films.

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

900 OS

300 China

600 US

So even though those who are tracking China are saying it's going to OPEN to over $200m, you think it's only doing $300m? Yea you really are a troll account. 

• Like 1