Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

8 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I appreciate your analysis but the realistic numbers will be.

900 OS

300 China

600 US

total: 1,8. It might go a bit higher or lower but under no circumstances will it reach 2 billion. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.  Also don’t forget that DeadPool and Solo are coming to cut it’s legs off 

200w.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Many movies would kill for a $112.4M opening the 1st week-end of May :sparta:

Some movies would kill for that opening in the third weekend of November. :Venom:

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1

The coolest thing about the post credit scene is that it was filmed about 3 blocks from where I work in downtown Atlanta (I could make out multiple buildings), but other than that you aren't really going to miss much if you skip it and read what it was afterwards - it was only about 90 seconds and was just setting up something to come in Avengers 4.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I appreciate your analysis but the realistic numbers will be.

900 OS

300 China

600 US

total: 1,8. It might go a bit higher or lower but under no circumstances will it reach 2 billion. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.  Also don’t forget that DeadPool and Solo are coming to cut it’s legs off 

Just 150 million more from USA after a 112 weekend? I know there is a lot of upcoming competition, but that is just a x2.33 multiplier from now. TA had a x3.43 multiplier from 2nd weekend. And even a mixed received film like Ultron had a x2.87. I do not think it will challenge BP, but 650 seems more realistic.

And in Chinese presales thread is being projected right now a 240 OW and about 460 total.

With the 900 OS-China (I think it will go a bit higher than that), you already have 2.01b.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

MCU established the blueprint for the competition and still demolished them.

Who else can step up? Who else can win like this?

I think only a marvelized-SW can reach those levels or even surpass them. I mean, Lucasfilm could release 2 SW movies a year and be on the 900-1B ww each, and then create a build-up for the big movies events (Episodes) ala Avengers, every 4 years, and get a 1.5B ww easily. 

Let's see if Disney goes that way with SW.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

It's crazy how Marvel is so successful still and growing, when essentially most of their films are the same, just repackaged. Superhero(s), big bad super villain enters the scene, a few jokes, lots of punching each other and blowing things up, superhero nearly loses, then superhero wins when all seems lost.  And they can do this 2 or 3 times a year now! Easy money for Disney, Fiege and co. IW probably follow same formula too, but over 2 films.

This is blueprint for *checks notes* every action movie ever made

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What's funny is if this film finished with 750M US/800M OS -China instead of 650M US/900M OS people would be saying it's great while the latter is disappointing, even if both crossed 2 billion.

Edited by Mekanos

17 minutes ago, AJG said:

MCU established the blueprint for the competition and still demolished them.

Who else can step up? Who else can win like this?

Remember when studios were announcing Robin Hood Cinematic Universe and Transformers Cinematic Universe? :hahaha:

Very good weekend, not great but very good. It basically had to drop more than 50% - it burned so much demand its first week there was no way it was going to be sub 50 like some thought. If it could have gotten to 120 I would have been very impressed.

With the 6 week onslaught of DP, Solo, I2 and JW:FK it's late legs will be nothing special as that is 4 likely 100+ openers. Will likely fall behind BP, will be interesting to see if it can finish above JW.

It wouldn't shock me if Solo did better than the general consensus. I don't expect it to be a great film, or groundbreaking in anyway but Howard goes back with Lucas over 40 yrs and he is good at making good, enjoyable to watch movies. 

After seeing IW and getting I2 as a preview I think I may be underselling what that might do (I was thinking 350-400) after the reaction to the trailer. It was by far the largest reaction to any trailer (which included JW and Solo) with people clapping and cheering when it was done.

It amazes me to think what Disney has for the next 5-10 yrs. It already has Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar and with Fox it will add Avatar (and they have already worked with Jim on Pandora at Animal Kingdom) and more Marvel properties. 

Another great hold for AQP, and ICOI continues to sort of truck along, now at almost 82M on a 7M budget.

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

One thing's for sure: TFA's second weekend record is gonna be a mother for anything to take down anytime within the next decade. 

CZ1pVVL.jpg

• Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Remember when superhero films used to make less overseas than domestic or only slightly more? What a change 

Interesting to note that TDK and BP (EDIT: and Rogue One) are the only billion dollar films to make more DOM than OS.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Remember when studios were announcing Robin Hood Cinematic Universe and Transformers Cinematic Universe? :hahaha:

Remember Power Rangers 7 sequels that got announced and never happened?

The only cinematic universe I can see being kinda cool is The Bible. There’s some great drama and action in that book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1