Box Office Hit

The Turning | Universal | January 24, 2020

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Nada, it's being dumped. Imagine it's for a good reason too considering filming on this began around this time two years ago.

Yeah, this was supposed to come out last February, I believe. It's a dump.

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

January is the month of dumping season. Look at the marketing for Underwater.

I only know the movie is getting released, thanks to this sub. lol

Have you heard anything about the movie Run that's also supposedly coming out on this date?

16 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

No, I didn't even know this movie existed! XD

Terrible month

Haha! Oh dear...

Well with Run I don't blame you. It's still on the schedule for whatever reason but there's been no news or marketing or anything for it and it's still apparently in post.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 8:21 PM, JB33 said:

Yeah, this was supposed to come out last February, I believe. It's a dump.

Looks like another attempt to modernize a classic that did not turn out very well.

And there  is a good version of "The Turn Of The Screw" made in 1961, "The Innocents".

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:37 PM, JB33 said:

I hope this breaks out. A horror where the kids are the bad guys seems like an interesting, unique concept. Too bad it's January so most people's inclination will be "It's probably terrible"....which it probably is.

Uh, the Henry James story it is based on has been around since the 1880's, and has been filmed a couple of times.

And, aside from various versions of "Turn Of The Screw" there are quite a few "The Kids Are Evil" films.

"Children of the Corn" comes to mind

And the first two films of the "Omen" films.

And I am sure there have been others I  just don't remember.

So it's as unique as you think; it has been around for a while.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Looks like another attempt to modernize a classic that did not turn out very well.

And there  is a good version of "The Turn Of The Screw" made in 1961, "The Innocents".

Interesting. I'll have to check that out. I also want to read the original "The Turn of the Screw" story. This may turn out to be a bad movie but the fact it's based on a notable work adds some appeal for me on top of the curiosity I already had for it.

• Like 1

Theatrical poster:

turning_xlg.jpg

Looks like this will only have The Gentlemen as competition. Run definitely won't be debuting because we've gotten zero news on it, and The Last Full Measure is now releasing limited (or not at all on the 24th if The Numbers is to be believed).

The Numbers and BOP both report that this will release in roughly 2,500 theatres as the main headliner of the weekend (The Gentlemen is getting approx. 2,000 theatres). As I mentioned one post above it looks like those two are the only wide debuts for the weekend.

51 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Is there an embargo on this one?

There probably is an embargo if the reviews haven't come out yet. But if the film has good qualities to salvage, it's embargo will be no later than Tuesday. If they hold off until Thursday or Friday, that's when we'll know it's in trouble.