Box Office Hit

Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway | Sony | June 11 2021 | NOT Delayed again

To be fair, this was literally sandwiched between Mulan and Trolls after the latter moved up a week (and August looks low on kiddie fare) so they already had a good reason to get out of town, though now they're giving up the Easter tie-in they were clearly aiming for.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, this was literally sandwiched between Mulan and Trolls after the latter moved up a week (and August looks low on kiddie fare) so they already had a good reason to get out of town, though now they're giving up the Easter tie-in they were clearly aiming for.

My Spy as well even though it wasn't likely going to be do much business but still competition nonetheless. 

The thing is, it’s not even the virus itself but instead the mass panic that’s causing studios to worry. Seriously, more potential customers are out of commission all the time because of weather, localized recessions, or just the normal flu!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morieris said:

Surprised only 3 movies were pushed back so far.

I think studios are waiting to see how bad it's going to get. They don't have to make a decision until around 5 weeks before the release date...that is when the contracts are signed with the theaters, and after that you are pretty much commited. In fact you are legally obligated to release the film on the date in the contracts or suffer a world of legal hurt.

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think studios are waiting to see how bad it's going to get. They don't have to make a decision until around 5 weeks before the release date...that is when the contracts are signed with the theaters, and after that you are pretty much commited. In fact you are legally obligated to release the film on the date in the contracts or suffer a world of legal hurt.

I’d be astonished if said contracts don’t already include some sort of force majeure clause as a standard. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dudalb said:

In the case for Fast 9 its lot earlier as they started PS almost 4 months before release. Studio must really be regretting it 

28 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’d be astonished if said contracts don’t already include some sort of force majeure clause as a standard. 

True, but I think studios would be reluctant to invoke it....it would hurt their reputation, and I suspect would lead to some court battles. Most attempts to invoke an "Act Of God" lead to that.

Anyway,only film we are really talking about is "Mulan" and I have a feeling the Mouse will just let that one ride and see what happens.