CaptainJackSparrow

Rambo: Last Blood | September 20 2019 | Rambo going to the old town road one last time

9 hours ago, Firepower said:

That's exactly what happened with the pre-sales draft. Stallone took the great script and ruined it with his rewrites, killing character development, tone, action scenes, great (and even unique) details, scale, drama and even the ending. It was very dark, depressing and emotionally devastating drama inspired by Unforgiven with great action and surprisingly big attention to details. I'd say the script was too good for Rambo movie/Millenium action flick and maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that Sly ruined it, he did it with many projects in his career, including Cameron's Rambo 2, but Last Blood is one of the worst cases.  The final movie is just your average action flick, but with bad editing and that also feels cheap, like direct-to-vod cheap in some parts.

I need to find this draft.

I found the film satisfying enough, but it keeps nagging at me that it could have been considerably better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I found the film satisfying enough, but it keeps nagging at me that it could have been considerably better.

It's Rambo, I think we all know it could always be better if Stallone let someone really competent have some input, I mean he did with Creed and that turned out great. I think with Last Blood being made in this year it just left too long after the last one. With that in mind, I can only say that while I appreciate the quality of filmmaking here, I can't justify the inclusion of certain shots, scenes, or even the entire film. I understand that in order to keep the film relevant and to have a lasting legacy, the filmmakers may want to include certain moments or events, but when it comes to what matters here, all I can say is: forget about it. I'd rather this all go away, so that I can forget about it. And so it did. While I may have liked that some aspects of the story were different than I have with my other films, I simply can't get around having a story with no ending—particularly when there are incredible shots throughout.

I just saw this about an hour ago. While I did enjoy the film, something definitely did seem missing. It's good where it's good, but it almost felt a little too, I guess, generic to me. I get some people just say hey that's a Rambo movie, but they all seemed to have a little bit more to it than this one.

I won't go into it since it would be spoilers but one set up to me makes no sense but I leave that for another thread or time 

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

On the other side of the argument, I do understand the responsibility entertainment should have in doing its best to not mis-appropriate itself. I don't think this franchise has been a particularly bad case of this (the mis-appropriation has come from external sources), and if this film really does come across the way some people are describing, than I would say that is a bad oversight on the part of the filmmakers. That being said, this movie (unfortunately) is intended as a shoot-em-up actioner, with lots of blood and little brains (except for those being splattered across the screen of course). Its main concern isn't with the political implications of the ethnicity of its characters, which is something I think more people need to do (not politicize everything AS LONG AS the movie isn't misrepresenting a group of people in its portrayal). 

And finally, it's important to look at the context within which the franchise was created, and make sure we aren't applying present-day issues to a film that was created outside the context of those issues. Not that a movie "should be forgiven for including racist undertones when such undertones were not frowned upon by American society", but rather we should not mis-attribute the messages of a movie made in the 70s to represent issues that exist in 2019. While Last Blood is a movie from 2019, and should be viewed as such, it also exists within the context of a 40-year old franchise. 

And given what a huge hot button issue the Mexican Border has become in Amereican Politics,any movie with the basic plot of Rambo:Last Blood would become a political football no matter what the filmmakers intended.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And given what a huge hot button issue the Mexican Border has become in Amereican Politics,any movie with the basic plot of Rambo:Last Blood would become a political football no matter what the filmmakers intended.

Agreed. And that might be my issue. I live in Canada, so I am much more removed from the Mexico/USA "conflict" or "tensions" or whatever you want to call it, so there may be certain American nuances to the topic that I am unaware of/not enculturated to. 

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Agreed. And that might be my issue. I live in Canada, so I am much more removed from the Mexico/USA "conflict" or "tensions" or whatever you want to call it, so there may be certain American nuances to the topic that I am unaware of/not enculturated to. 

I think you're right. I can see where a lot of American folks (and Mexican for that matter!) would be going "Come on, really? Of all storylines...". 

I still may check this out on a Tuesday or something but it's looking like it will be a streaming player for me.

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think you're right. I can see where a lot of American folks (and Mexican for that matter!) would be going "Come on, really? Of all storylines...". 

I haven't seen mexican folks complaining about this movie, I even saw some defending the movie and shitting on woke twitter idiots.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I still may check this out on a Tuesday or something but it's looking like it will be a streaming player for me.

A sort of "I get enough shit about the Border on the evening news, don't need to pay 12 bucks for it".

Or maybe 80's action stars trying to relive their glory days just does not work with audiences except under certain circumstances?

Stallione can draw people in a role where he has turned mentor like in "Creed" but he is just plain too old to run around doing Rambo type crap anymore. 

Edited by dudalb

I miss when Rambo movies actually looked cinematic and not like direct to video movies, had sweeping scores (yeah I know Jerry Goldsmith’s dead) and had supporting characters like Richard Crenna’s Trautman that brought some gravitas to the film 

Edited by John Marston

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

A sort of "I get enough shit about the Border on the evening news, don't need to pay 12 bucks for it".

Yeah pretty much.

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

I haven't seen mexican folks complaining about this movie, I even saw some defending the movie and shitting on woke twitter idiots.

Really? Hmm, that's good then. Guess they feel they have better things to do than be offended by things that truly mean no harm. Good for them, really.

3 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

This is one of the massive misunderstandings....its not about the Border, illegals crossing or "stealing jobs" or any of that political stuff AT ALL.

No, but people just automatically think of that issue when the subject of Mexicans comes up because it's a political issue....and those tend to be intertwined with movies lately.

21 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Loved it. Not quite as good as Rambo 4, but it shows stallone can still show the warrior beast we all rem Rambo can become. Thought they got the character wrong in some cases, as that ambush john walked into is just so unrealistic for a super solider with decades of high secretive missions accomplished would get caught up in.  Lol me and my wife laughed at that one. Thought the ending could have been better. But its no where as bad as critics saying. With a more developed story and more of what made first blood 2 and one iconic and I would welcome a Rambo 6. 

Lol if john survives 5.😱😱

• Like 1