That One Girl

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard | June 16, 2021 | Lionsgate | Patrick Hughes returning to direct | Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Comedy sequels are usually trash. I really don't think critics have some nefarious agenda here.

I'm certainly not complaining about the critics.

I just don't understand why so many here are swayed by their opinions... especially on comedy films since humor is so subjective.

The 1st one was rotten on RT... this one is rotten.

Now if there is a decent amount critics that liked the 1st one and hated this one... those reviews might be worth reading.

But to go from being excited about the movie to declaring it not worth watching based on an aggregate RT score is kinda stupid. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

I'm certainly not complaining about the critics.

I just don't understand why so many here are swayed by their opinions... especially on comedy films since humor is so subjective.

The 1st one was rotten on RT... this one is rotten.

Now if there is a decent amount critics that liked the 1st one and hated this one... those reviews might be worth reading.

But to go from being excited about the movie to declaring it not worth watching based on an aggregate RT score is kinda stupid. 

I’m sorry, but skimming through the thread only like two people seemed excited for it. The rest are just neutral posts, whether it be reporting cast announcements and box office potential. No offense, but it just seems like you wanted to start something that wasn’t actually there in the first place

21 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I’m sorry, but skimming through the thread only like two people seemed excited for it. The rest are just neutral posts, whether it be reporting cast announcements and box office potential. No offense, but it just seems like you wanted to start something that wasn’t actually there in the first place

Well... I just READ the posts... not just skimmed them. 

There were ZERO negative posts until Wednesday.  The reaction to all the character announcements was positive. There were several people excited about it and plenty of others interested.

After 3 years of positivity ... when the RT score was posted almost every comment was negative:

Another miss by Lionsgate. Can this studio survive?

Gotta make sure he has no idea this exists so that I'm not dragged to watch this in theaters with him.

This looks awful

Sub-$10M OW for its 5-day portion. Heck, I would not even rule out a sub-$5M for its 3-day portion.

That doesn't include the 'neutral' comments that were trending towards possession.

I'm not sure why you think pointing out the obvious change of tone in this thread once the Rotten Tomato score  was posted is "wanted to start something" 

This forum has always had a habit of changing their opinions of a movie based on RT.  I can't tell you how many times over the years I've seen someone excited about a movie all of a sudden say: "I guess I won't see it now" when it receives poor reviews.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyLL said:

Well... I just READ the posts... not just skimmed them. 

There were ZERO negative posts until Wednesday.  The reaction to all the character announcements was positive. There were several people excited about it and plenty of others interested.

After 3 years of positivity ... when the RT score was posted almost every comment was negative:

That doesn't include the 'neutral' comments that were trending towards possession.

I'm not sure why you think pointing out the obvious change of tone in this thread once the Rotten Tomato score  was posted is "wanted to start something" 

This forum has always had a habit of changing their opinions of a movie based on RT.  I can't tell you how many times over the years I've seen someone excited about a movie all of a sudden say: "I guess I won't see it now" when it receives poor reviews.

Okay. But what you are posting here seems to be implying all the people saying negative stuff in the past couple days were all suddenly excited and then lost interest. However, titanic, excel, and LegendaryBen, all who have said negative things, never posted in this thread before. I was the only one who posted previously, and all I said was that I thought the title was cute, not anything else in regards to the movie and its possible quality. Do you believe they all were excited for this movie back in 2019 but now suddenly lost all interest? I'm sure you can @ them and they can respond to that, but that seems like a bit of a stretch here.

In fact, titanic and Ben didn't even say their thoughts on the movie. Just on the film's financial performance and how things do not look good for the movie. I think we're allowed to say how we feel about a movie's box office since...you know...this is a box office forum? Suddenly we can't predict negative things about a movie?

As for your last paragraph, allow me to argue against this: Yes, people will lose interest in something they were looking forward to if a movie has bad reviews. But that's true in many other ways. People can lose interest in something they were looking forward to if they don't like the trailers or marketing. Do you find that idea to be silly? Do you think it's ridiculous that material designed to be judged and make people interested in checking a movie out is being used to make people use a consumer decision?

And at least for me, and I know some will disagree, I typically agree with the critical consensus on a movie. So if a lot of reviewers and critics I follow tell me a movie I'm looking forward to or am on the fence about is bad, I will listen to them, because I will likely have a bad time. And contrary to what certain users on BOT may say, you don't just become a quality, engaging film critic from nothing. I don't have the free time I used to when I was younger. And with more entertainment options available, often at a cheaper price, I see little reason to pay to see something that people I follow and trust say is not worth my time.

And while I'm sure you don't agree or take part in this, most of the people here who complain when people look at movie reviews or use them to judge whether to see a movie or not are usually fanboys throwing a hissy fit that their children's movie that is destined to make millions and made by people richer than they will ever be gets taken down a few pegs. That stuff really triggers a fight or flight response that just causes me irritation. Again, you probably didn't mean that, but I always wince when I see this kind of stuff.

Anyways, this movie looks dumb, I thought the previous movie looked dumb, and I thought this sequel would likely be dumb back when it was announced in 2019. Sorry if not being excited for this stupid Ryan Reynolds comedy means I'm a pathetic sheep who bows down to the elitist critics struggling to pay the bills.

• Like 1