baumer

Monday number IW 8.3

I honestly think it's a great hold. Over both TA and BP. I expect some synergy and hype making the rounds once China blows everything out of the water next weekend. This film is becoming TOO BIG to fail, and I mean that a film that is likely becoming the 2nd biggest film of all time ww and I wouldn't discard domestic too with a relaunch. 

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Tell me what model you are basing this on.  Every film I've used has it at 55 minimum and if you use BP, it goes to about 60 million.

No model, just basing it on how fast this is generally dropping. This is dropping faster than JW , never mind black panther (which will start gaining huge after the upcoming weekend). 

Duncan Jones just said on twitter that they’ve been notified that, seven years after Source Code was released, it’s about to make some profit. 

It cost $30m and made $150m in box office alone. 

Hollywood accounting! How awful for the makers of the film. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

No model, just basing it on how fast this is generally dropping. This is dropping faster than JW , never mind black panther (which will start gaining huge after the upcoming weekend). 

But you're using the one film (Black Panther) that had crazy holds in its second weekend and beyond.  A 55% drop is quite good after a record opening weekend.  And the Monday number is about as normal as the come.  i'm not sure why you think this is crumbling, when in fact it's behaving quite normally.  The Saturday increase was muted but the Sunday drop was quite soft.  It balances out.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

So ? It’s not like  IW’ second weekend was that much bigger than JW to say that being a non summer film, IW is gaining on weekends what it is starting to loose on weekdays. JW had a 54+ million third weekend, I doubt IW will go over that. The celeing for this, in the u.s , is lowering with every single day.

Why the fuck would the 2nd weekend numbers be all that relevant to the Monday gross in this particular case? Jurassic World had June weekdays, Infinity War has May weekdays. In May, schools are still fucking in; in June, they're not and more people go to the theaters during the week. Is that so hard to grasp? Or did IW have to stay flat from last Monday for you to say that it's less than horrible?

Avengers/Panther/Ultron, the three biggest MCU hits of the 1st five months of the year, are the best comparisons here. Its drop is worse than Avengers' in percentage, but it's right in line with Panther and Ultron's. In another words, it's a perfectly normal drop. It's not great, and it's not horrible.... it's normal and it's what it is. I'm not sure if you even know how to discuss box office if your fandom is making you so delusional that you wouldn't be satisfied with any less than Force Awakens numbers for Infinity War, which is damn near impossible for a movie that's not playing in fucking December.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The film has zero competition again, third weekend in a row. Lucky Avengers. 

I don't think i's luck though.  Marvel opened it at a perfect time, and then moved it back one week.  Smart, not luck.  :) 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The Friday jump seems very generous. 

I think it seems kind of low in comparison to other Marvel films in their third weekend.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I think it seems kind of low in comparison to other Marvel films in their third weekend.

Yeah it's lower than Black Panther, Avengers, Ultron and the same as Civil War's.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

You can't use the first Avengers, which came out in 2012 because tuesdays weren't nearly as big back then as they are now.  Avengers actually fell on it's second Tuesday, that clearly won't happen this time.

Sure, but it's still a better comparison than Jurassic World or the December Star Wars movies imo :P Despite that fact, I still think they are playing somewhat similarly on the weekdays, so I'd still keep an eye on Avengers 1 as a comparable.

Anyway, it's good to have one voice of dissent, you can thank @Thrylos 7 for giving us someone to debate with.  Without his disastrous outlook towards the film, we'd have no one to go back and forth with, we'd just all be sitting here saying wonderful IW is doing.  :redcapes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

We actually have openings this week which is something to consider

True, and I think Breaking In and Life of the Party will account for 45-50 million in business.  

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The film has zero competition again, third weekend in a row. Lucky Avengers. 

Lucky? Other films avoided these two weekends, thinking they'd be crushed by IW's first and second weekends... then the early opening made May 4-6 and May 11-13 IW's 2nd and 3rd weekends instead. No luck involved, just a smart business move by Disney, moving IW up a week.

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Sure, but it's still a better comparison than Jurassic World or the December Star Wars movies imo :P Despite that fact, I still think they are playing somewhat similarly on the weekdays, so I'd still keep an eye on Avengers 1 as a comparable.

I'll grant you the first part of the statement, but using Avengers (2012) is not a good comp.  

$7,923,789

-74.4% / -58.1%

4,349 / $1,822

$380,995,436 / 11

$8,477,854

7% / -52%

4,349 / $1,949

$389,473,290 / 12

$6,339,757

-25.2% / -53.4%

4,349 / $1,458

$395,813,047 / 13

• Like 1

That's Monday Tuesday Wednesday.  As you can see, Tuesday went up by only 7% and Wednesday went down by only 25%.  That will not be the case this time around.

• Like 1