kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

Just now, NCsoft said:

That is an argument that you can make to justify how films today might not do as impressively as Titanic or Avatar, that's kind of like arguing how internet piracy is not rampant during Titanic's run, valid statement, but ultimately, not really useful in assessing how impressive a run is. The argument is actually more useful in explaining the run rather than belittling it. 

The truth will remain that with global inflation + market expansion, the global market in USD is 40% bigger in 2018 than it was in 2009, and a film making slightly less in 2019 than a film released in 2009 is not more impressive. Impressive? certainly is, but not more impressive than Avatar.

I also find it curious that such an argument was never made to justify Avatar>Titanic. I could use the same argument: There are less film released in 1997, less piracy and lack of social media/personally Internet in 1997, therefore Avatar's run is more impressive than Titanic... No it's not.

But I don’t recall anyone saying it is MORE impressive. It is incomparable impressive. They all are

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Let's just not color every Avatar poster as "fanboy-ing". So are we. 

If someone point a fact to favour Avatar, answer him/her with your fact. @NCsoft had a good point which I countered with my understanding. Let's not go bitter.

agreed however this fucking an avengers thread, if they want to talk about and make comparison or talk about how well avatar 2 will do they can go to the avatar thread, i dont care if eg passes avatar or not but i am tired to hear about avatar is a biggest achievement or avatar 2 will make g numbers for fun or whatever by certain people

• Like 1

Just now, john2000 said:

agreed however this fucking an avengers thread, if they want to talk about and make comparison or talk about how well avatar 2 will do they can go to the avatar thread, i dont care if eg passes avatar or not but i am tired to hear about avatar is a biggest achievement or avatar 2 will make g numbers for fun or whatever by certain people

This is Avengers' thread. And there will be comps and fan boy stuff. That's what box office forum is about.

As long as the debates don't get personal, or unhealthy. I am IN for however long the disco goes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Marvel fanboys in Avengers Endgame thread is normal.

Other fanboys ( including Avatar ) commenting something about EG also normal.

The abnormal ones are those fanboys bringing 'other movies' data in EG thread while adding nothing to EG itself and that makes this thread starting to feel like a random thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

This is Avengers' thread. And there will be comps and fan boy stuff. That's what box office forum is about.

As long as the debates don't get personal, or unhealthy. I am IN for however long the disco goes.

box office forum is  about box office i get that , but to try to downplay one movies box office over the other is annoying to say the least, of course we will see this kind of staff, but ironjimbo does that very very often and he talks about avatar not bc he wants to start a debate but bc he wants to downplay other movies and make fun of other people haveing different opinion as a result and you can see that many people here and in other threads call out his bullshit many times and not without reason

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

box office forum is  about box office i get that , but to try to downplay one movies box office over the other is annoying to say the least, of course we will see this kind of staff, but ironjimbo does that very very often and he talks about avatar not bc he wants to start a debate but bc he wants to downplay other movies and make fun of other people haveing different opinion as a result and you can see that many people here and in other threads call out his bullshit many times and not without reason

IronJimbo is insecure because deep down knows that A2 can be below 2B movie and he is scared of that

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

IronJimbo is insecure because deep down knows that A2 can be below 2B movie and he is scared of that

most of movie can and will probably be below 2 bill , hell only 5 movies in history have done that ( you could also say 4 as titanic needed a release to get there, i dont say this as bad thing)

• ...wtf 1

I also want to point out that Box office wise, there are lots of things Avatar achieved that Endgame will not be able to achieve,  despite its own impressive achievement.

1. Defeating the previous worldwide all time record by 50%

- Endgame will likely not hold the crown, if it does, then it will be by less than 1% after 10 years

2. Holding all time domestic box office crown record 

- something that's always good to have when you try to claim global crown, both Titanic and Avatar did it, but endgame isn't anywhere close to TFA.

3. Holding Domestic + Worldwide + OS crown at the time

- The only crown Endgame can get right now is worldwide, and even that is a stretch, even something like Jurassic Park was able to get worldwide + OS crown.

4. Highest grossing film in a large number of world major markets (Domestic, China, UK, Australia, France, Germany etc...)

- Endgame will be the highest grossing film in like... Mexico?  It is not topping Overseas, domestic, China, France, UK, Germany or Australia.... becoming the "highest grossing film" without being the highest grossing film in any major markets.

5. Raising global box office ceiling, without Avatar popularizing 3D to such an extent and instant popularization of premium showing, most blockbusters today can't gross what they do. You've got Avatar to thank for.

6. Destroy perceived market ceiling and elevate the Chinese market to almost surpassing domestic as the largest global market. Tripled the highest grossing film in China ever when released. Unleashing the potential of a huge market that has gigantic effect on Hollywood and film industry today.

-Endgame couldn't match the highest grossing film China (Wolf Warrior 2), let alone tripling it.

7. First film to ever hit 2 Billion dollar milestone (when no film has gotten there yet), and it almost got to $3B, in 2009.

- Endgame won't hit another major milestone like that.

If anyone can think of more, welcome to add to my list. I'm tired now so these are the only things I can think but there must be a lot more!;)

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I also want to point out that Box office wise, there are lots of things Avatar achieved that Endgame will not be able to achieve,  despite its own impressive achievement.

1. Defeating the previous worldwide all time record by 50%

- Endgame will likely not hold the crown, if it does, then it will be by less than 1% after 10 years

2. Holding all time domestic box office crown record 

- something that's always good to have when you try to claim global crown, both Titanic and            Avatar did it, but endgame isn't anywhere close to TFA.

3. Holding Domestic + Worldwide + OS crown at the time

- The only crown Endgame can get right now is worldwide, and even that is a stretch, even something like Jurassic            Park was able to get worldwide + OS crown, 

4. Highest grossing film in a large number of world major markets (Domestic, China, UK, Australia, France, Germany etc...)

- Endgame will be the highest grossing film in like... Mexico?  It is not topping Overseas, domestic, China, France,              UK, Germany or Australia.... becoming the "highest grossing film" without being the highest grossing film in any             major markets.

5. Raising global box office ceiling, without Avatar's 3D and instant popularization of premium showing, most blockbusters today can't gross what they do without Avatar popularizing 3D to such an extent.

6. Destroy perceived market ceiling and elevate the Chinese market to almost surpassing domestic as the largest global market. Tripled the highest grossing film in China ever when released. Unleashing the potential of a huge market that has gigantic effect on Hollywood and film industry today.

-Endgame couldn't match the highest grossing film China (Wolf Warrior 2), let alone tripling it.

7. First film to ever hit 2 Billion dollar milestone (when no film has gotten there yet), and it almost got to $3B, in 2009.

- Endgame won't hit another major milestone like that.

Anybody can think of more, welcome to add to my list. I'm tired now so these are the only things I can think but there must be a lot more!;)

Avatar can't be the first franchise to gross over $2B back to back in the span of 1 year.

Edited by Claudio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

29 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

That's hilarious because I don't recall starting a single fanboy war, I'm merely defending the highest grossing film of all time, which I happen to love, by reference world film market in a box office discussion community, join a ongoing discussion that's been started by other people in the last few pages. :ph34r:

Coco coco... you should know by now numbers people like numbers .. we want endgame to be n1.. then whatever else comes along and replaces it..who gives a f? Avatar will do it in a year upon his rerelease.. you cant just give out your opinion and think its enough... you need context or else.. and here there is nothing more important that numbers... not individual movies

TTVOMJ

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Avatar can't be the first franchise to gross over $2B in the span of 1 year 

No it can't, you're right.

I absolutely do not intend to deny that MCU is world's biggest franchise, and what MCU has been able to do is nothing short of amazing. I'm only narrowly focusing on defending Avatar's single film run, which is constantly being underestimated, belittled and even ridiculed over the years. To see the same thing happening here is a little disheartening. 

edit: wait, is that what you're saying? I don't really understand that sentence to be honest....

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

lets not forget that AoU made under TA and IW bounced back like nobody's business and EG topped that by quite a margin. So what happens with Avatar sequels remains to be seen. I expect the first to drop from Avatar but if it has a great hook and characters, sequels could go real big. we'll see. what really matters in this particular thread is that EG blew past IW and that's the way franchises should end, with the highest grossing movie. Also, it proved that running time is no problem when audience is engaged. did it hurt in pursuit of 3 billie? possibly but 2.7 billie is impressive in its own right let alone for 3 hours long behemoth. so all in all staggering success.

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I absolutely do not intend to deny that MCU is world's biggest franchise, and what MCU has been able to do is nothing short of amazing. I'm only narrowly focusing on defending Avatar's single film run, which is constantly being underestimated, belittled and even ridiculed over the years. To see the same thing happening here is a little disheartening. 

edit: wait, is that what you're saying? I don't really understand that sentence to be honest....

Edited it to the right one. I was typing too fast.

Edited by Claudio

9 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

yet you started to defend avatar by donwplaying endgame , good job ........ also in my turn let see avatar 2 and 3 do what iw and eg did, iw  increased from age of ultron by 600 MILLION, and eg will increase from iw BY 700 MILLION, yes good luck with that avatar 2 and 3,  now thats better my turn

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Avatar belittled? Have you been around back then? You could find tickets first week for it normally.. then next month they were sold out... titanic had queues in april in my hometown in 11am for a 7pm show... unquestionably bigger runs than endgame.. no need to defend avatar since most people online were kids when it opened so its easy to see why there would be more pundits behind endgame.. and one thing is defend it when someone of note attacks avatar(havent seen that anywhere), other thing is to defend it from those above mentioned uninitiated or worse-trolls.. and then.. completely opposite thing is what jimbo does...

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos

Just now, john2000 said:

yet you started to defend avatar by donwplaying endgame , good job ........

That is simply not true. I have said multiple times that Endgame's run is really impressive, and that if it gets that worldwide crown, it would be legitimate, and that MCU is the biggest franchise. So whatever else I've said, you will perceive as "downplaying" but to me, that's just the actual numbers. I don't think I've ever used mental gymnastic technique to "downplay" endgame. Market expansion, inflation, global market size 2009 vs 2019, 2.787B in 2009, triple the highest grossing film in China. These are factual numbers.

• Like 1