kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

Just now, NCsoft said:

That is simply not true. I have said multiple times that Endgame's run is really impressive, and that if it gets that worldwide crown, it would be legitimate, and that MCU is the biggest franchise. So whatever else I've said, you will perceive as "downplaying" but to me, that's just the actual numbers. I don't think I've ever used mental gymnastic technique to "downplay" endgame. Market expansion, inflation, global market size 2009 vs 2019, 2.787B in 2009, triple the highest grossing film in China. These are factual numbers.

I DONT DISAGREE FOR GOD , but there was no need for the comments like even jurrassic park had the os and ww crown etc,

14 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I also want to point out that Box office wise, there are lots of things Avatar achieved that Endgame will not be able to achieve,  despite its own impressive achievement.

1. Defeating the previous worldwide all time record by 50%

Ans. Over 25% admissions on Avatar.

2. Holding all time domestic box office crown record 

Ans. Yes it did. But again less than Endgame admissions and lets not ignore the opening of Endgame.

3. Holding Domestic + Worldwide + OS crown at the time

Ans. Matter of Economics. Real Value currency will be all time record for Endgame in overseas.

4. Highest grossing film in a large number of world major markets (Domestic, China, UK, Australia, France, Germany etc...) Endgame will be the highest grossing film in like... Mexico? 

Ans. Mexico Endgame has more admission than all you mentioned except China.

5. Raising global box office ceiling, without Avatar popularizing 3D to such an extent and instant popularization of premium showing, most blockbusters today can't gross what they do. You've got Avatar to thank for.

Ans. Avatar popularised 3D? 3D as an experience got popular on its own.

6. Destroy perceived market ceiling and elevate the Chinese market to almost surpassing domestic as the largest global market. Tripled the highest grossing film in China ever when released. Unleashing the potential of a huge market that has gigantic effect on Hollywood and film industry today.

Endgame couldn't match the highest grossing film China (Wolf Warrior 2), let alone tripling it.

Ans.  Neither will Avatar 2. Chinese local industry wasn't as strong as today IMO. There are local ceiling and Hollywood ceiling. No Hollywood film can break Baahubali 2 ceiling in India. Endgame did break 400mn ceiling for Hollywood in China.

7. First film to ever hit 2 Billion dollar milestone (when no film has gotten there yet), and it almost got to $3B, in 2009.

Ans. Trivial.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

Avatar belittled? Have you been around back then? You could find tickets first week for it normally.. then next month they were sold out... titanic had queues in april in my hometown in 11am for a 7pm show... unquestionably bigger runs than endgame.. no need to defend avatar since most people online were kids when it opened so its easy to see why there would be more pundits behind endgame.. and one thing is defend it when someone of note attacks avatar(havent seen that anywhere), other thing is to defend it from those above mentioned uninitiated or worse-trolls.. and then.. completely opposite thing is what jimbo does...

TTVOMJ

That's all you need to say really :lol:

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

That's all you need to say really :lol:

is this what you want to hear then ?  bc i havent see many people saying that endgame runs is bigger than titanic or avatar, i love eg but i dont go to thread and saying how big eg achievent is

1 minute ago, Maximum Avery said:

Question... do you want endgame to pass avatar? Or for that matter.. do you want any film to pass avatar? If so then for me your opinion becomes invalid... 

TTVOMJ

yes avatar 2,3,4,5 are allow to pass avatar

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

IronJimbo is insecure because deep down knows that A2 can be below 2B movie and he is scared of that

Avengers Endgame started as an underdog. Hardly anyone dare to say it would pass Avatar (though deep down many of us did have this wishful thinking) till the crazy presale data and OW data came in. Later quite a few were carried away and asserted that it was "locked" to surpass Avatar WW. However, many have been cautious to call this as the late legs are difficult to estimate/predict. I would say the Avengers fans's discussion on Endgame BO run have been well balanced (though not perfectly balanced) and as reasonable as you can expect.

However, interestingly since last week when Endgame's 3rd week BO seemed to start lagging (wrt A:IW) Cameronites/Avatar stans started to gleefully belittle/talk down any "mediocre" Endgame data in various Endgame threads. I wonder why they did not actively "compare BO runs" when Endgame had the upper hand over Avatar. LOL. As in sports, it is not wrong to root for your favorites, but to display your "stan"hood in such a silly, infantile, petty and niggling way like what Ironjimbo does is really uncalled for. Some Avatar/Cameron fans certainly are not as silly as Ironjimbo, but they kinda come around him as his defence team rather than calling him out.

In the end of the day, Endgame still has reasonable chance of surpassing Avatar WW, and even these Avatar fans know it. Especially for Ironjimbo, his silly and petty and niggling comments are likely the reflection of his trepidation, anxiety and insecurity  of Endgame surpassing Avatar.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

Question... do you want endgame to pass avatar? Or for that matter.. do you want any film to pass avatar? If so then for me your opinion becomes invalid... 

TTVOMJ

Of course I want films to pass Avatar, I'm first and foremost a box office fanatic, then a Cameron fan, not the other way around. I wish very much a visionary director like Cameron  takes over right now and make films (original property or adapted) that is groundbreaking, and breaks worldwide record at once.

The film that I would want to break the record would be:

1. Hopefully an original property or adapted from materials or books that's more reflective of our times, not something that's been around forever and date back to the 1950s.

2. Narratively or technologically, I wish this film is groundbreaking, and represent the best of commercial film-making at the time. If it is from a visionary director or a team, even better.

3. Be a true record breaker, not barely passing the record by 0.05% after 10 years of global inflation and market expansion.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

34 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

4. Highest grossing film in a large number of world major markets (Domestic, China, UK, Australia, France, Germany etc...)

- Endgame will be the highest grossing film in like... Mexico?  It is not topping Overseas, domestic, China, France, UK, Germany or Australia.... becoming the "highest grossing film" without being the highest grossing film in any major market

Most of South East Asia and Latin America. But I know Team Avatar doesn't like to talk about Latin America because is so embarrassing for you. (Except for saying "fuck your tastes" or calling us backward trash, that Alita thread is really something to behold) 

And you keep talking about market expansion. Like, You don't know if it going to help your movie at a all! ¿Do you see Star Wars grossing 30m in Chile? Neither do I, but that's how your market growth should work according to you. Besides, Europe if anything has become smaller outside of UK, Japan hasn't growth at all. And inflation, blablabla, inflation. There's has been 0 inflation in USD in Brazil in the last 20 years since Titanic. Crying and crying about inflation and market growth and trying to ignore ER is just tiring to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Of course I want films to pass Avatar, I'm first and foremost a box office fanatic, then a Cameron fan, not the other way around. I wish very much a visionary director like Cameron  takes over right now and make films (original property or adapted) that is groundbreaking, and breaks worldwide record at once.

1. Hopefully an original property or adapted from materials or books that's more reflective of our times, not something that's been around forever and date back to the 1950s.

2. Narratively or technologically, I wish this film is groundbreaking, and represent the best of commercial film-making at the time. If it is from a visionary director or a team, even better.

3. Be a true record breaker, not barely passing the record by 0.05% after 10 years of global inflation and market expansion.

yes eg is not a record breaker , you just took another hit in endgame can you for one time just stop that ?

8 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Hmmm... wishlist? XD lets see... rigorous me;. i would ban all genre... and only make quantum mechanics movies until we start to utilize it.. everything else is dust... less rigorous me; i want each year to behave like 2002., 2007., 2009.,2012., 2015 etc..and i want yearly increase of 5% total box office regularly.. i want records to be broken OW and i want that record holder to have 5x multiplier... i want titanic and avatar rolled into one..i want MCU to transcend to geriatric crowd... i want comedies in 200m again... i want horrors to behave like IT... i want male crowd to watch musicals and disney movies and i want girls to watch edge of tomorrow... least rigorous me: i just need charlie 

edit: charlie is a metaphore for all of you good data people, not just him

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • Disbelief 1

On 5/19/2019 at 3:58 AM, Juby said:

$2,754,484,243 according to Mojo. But before the Special Edition realease, it was:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $749,766,139    27.4%
Foreign:  $1,990,639,582    72.6%

Worldwide:  $2,740,405,721  

As I wrote in the other topic, Endgame is heading to max. $842M domestic. Assuming it will end up with $636M from China, Avengers will have to have at least $1.310B from the rest of the world to beat Avatar. Is it still possible?

From Wiki,

By the end of its first release, Avatar had grossed $749,766,139 in the U.S. and Canada, and $1,999,298,189 in other territories, for a worldwide total of $2,749,064,328.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

Then, after re-release, it was $2.749B + $33.2M = $2.782B (as of 2013).

https://web.archive.org/web/20131023173250/http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=avatar.htm

After that period, it was still running in some countries to earn another $5M+

$2.782B + $5M = $2.787B

So, it is this order: 

$2.749B + $33.2M = $2.782B

$2.782B+ $5M = $2.787B

So, Avatar's initial release is $2.749B

Edited by danhtruong5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, justvision said:

Avengers Endgame started as an underdog. Hardly anyone dare to say it would pass Avatar (though deep down many of us did have this wishful thinking) till the crazy presale data and OW data came in. Later quite a few were carried away and asserted that it was "locked" to surpass Avatar WW. However, many have been cautious to call this as the late legs are difficult to estimate/predict. I would say the Avengers fans's discussion on Endgame BO run have been well balanced (though not perfectly balanced) and as reasonable as you can expect.

However, interestingly since last week when Endgame's 3rd week BO seemed to start lagging (wrt A:IW) Cameronites/Avatar stans started to gleefully belittle/talk down any "mediocre" Endgame data in various Endgame threads. I wonder why they did not actively "compare BO runs" when Endgame had the upper hand over Avatar. LOL. As in sports, it is not wrong to root for your favorites, but to display your "stan"hood in such a silly, infantile, petty and niggling like what Ironjimbo does is really uncalled for. Some Avatar/Cameron fans certainly are not as silly as Ironjimbo, but they kinda come around him as his defence team rather than calling him out.

In the of the day, Endgame still has reasonable chance of surpassing Avatar WW, and even these Avatar fans know it. Especially for Ironjimbo, his silly and petty and niggling comments are likely the reflection of his trepidation, anxiety and insecurity  of Endgame surpassing Avatar.

well maybe it wont beat avatar, let it 2,7 bill first, but yeah it has become annoying af

15 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Most of South East Asia and Latin America. But I know Team Avatar doesn't like to talk about Latin America because is so embarrassing for you. (Except for saying "fuck your tastes" or calling us backward trash, that Alita thread is really something to behold) 

And you keep talking about market expansion. Like, You don't know if it going to help your movie at a all! ¿Do you see Star Wars grossing 30m in Chile? Neither do I, but that's how your market growth should work according to you. Besides, Europe if anything has become smaller outside of UK, Japan hasn't growth at all. And inflation, blablabla, inflation. There's has been 0 inflation in USD in Brazil in the last 20 years since Titanic. Crying and crying about inflation and market growth and trying to ignore ER is just tiring to see. 

OK, let's calm down and celebrate the fact that we're both using a Coco Avatar.

You're being really angry and I don't know why?

First of all, I'm sure what Avatar did in Latin America was not embarrassing, either way I don't know much about Latin America market, but I certainly didn't say "fuck your tastes" so please don't place that anger toward me, take issue with whoever said that!

Second, Global market expansion helps Hollywood films in general, and you know that, find a list of highest grossing films globally in 1996 and 2018 and compare and tell me global market expansion has not helped just about every franchise? I know that Avatar could have benefited from global market expansion because we have evidence that Avatar became the highest grossing film in many markets and reached market ceiling of markets that are much bigger now. I've personally followed its run in China and there' s no way that run translate to anything less than a $800-900M run, at the very least. We're seen how Fast and Furious, Transformers, Avengers grew exponentially from original to sequels in China and other expanding Asian markets.

Third, You're giving me one country that doesn't have inflation and suggest that inflation doesn't matter globally? You're giving me a few European market that hasn't increased and does that offset huge market increase elsewhere? like China expanded by 10 times in 10 years, and Europe is offsetting that increase? Please be a bit more objective, I'm not ignoring exchange rate, I'm saying global inflation + market expansion >>>>> exchange rate.

There is a reason why global market size in 2009 is $29.4B and in 2019 it is $42B+, clearly inflation and market expansion is more significant. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, john2000 said:

yes eg is not a record breaker , you just took another hit in endgame can you for one time just stop that ?

I certainly did not say that, why are you interpreting things that are not there?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

First of all, I'm sure what Avatar did in Latin America was not embarrassing, either way I don't know much about Latin

Well, for one, it didn't beat Ice Age 3 in admissions and didn't even won the year in like half of the countries. The embarrassing beat is honestly the league it plays in Latin American charts, looking to Despicable Me from very below.

One, country, if that country had inflation or a real benefit from market growth we wouldn't even be having this conversation since it Brasil alone would be more than enough to push Endgame over Avatar globally. But I can give you many examples in Latin America or other parts of the world, hell, save for Bolivia which has fixed ER, I'd bet that almost all the countries have lower USD prices than in 2009. 

A few European Markets? Spain hasn't grown (fell 13% since 2009) Italy hasn't grown, I'm on my phone otherwise I would give you more numbers. But those are big markets. 

And you still don't know if it Avatar really is going to benefit for all that growth. Quick Example I have at hand, Ice 4, admissions wise, was a huge monster in Latin America, broke the admission ceiling in many countries. And yet after 4 years of the greater growth (in admissions) the region has seen, the sequel decreased. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Second, Global market expansion helps Hollywood films in general, and you know that, find a list of highest grossing films globally in 1996 and 2018 and compare and tell me global market expansion has not helped just about every franchise?

Exactly. Movies gross more globally than they ever have, that's an undisputed fact. All the reasons people come up with to push their narrative ("in country X the currency has gone to shit"), forget it. Look at the all time lists, there it is, plain to see, in black and white.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Well, for one, it didn't beat Ice Age 3 in admissions and didn't even won the year in like half of the countries. The embarrassing beat is honestly the league it plays in Latin American charts, looking to Despicable Me from very below.

If Avatar did embarassing in LA then EG did embarassing in mainland Europe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1