kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

3 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Well, for one, it didn't beat Ice Age 3 in admissions and didn't even won the year in like half of the countries. The embarrassing beat is honestly the league it plays in Latin American charts, looking to Despicable Me from very below.

One, country, if that country had inflation or a real benefit from market growth we wouldn't even be having this conversation since it Brasil alone would be more than enough to push Endgame over Avatar globally. But I can give you many examples in Latin America or other parts of the world, hell, save for Bolivia which has fixed ER, I'd bet that almost all the countries have lower USD prices than in 2009. 

A few European Markets? Spain hasn't grown (fell 13% since 2009) Italy hasn't grown, I'm on my phone otherwise I would give you more numbers. But those are big markets. 

And you still don't know if it Avatar really is going to benefit for all that growth. Quick Example I have at hand, Ice 4, admissions wise, was a huge monster in Latin America, broke the admission ceiling in many countries. And yet after 4 years of the greater growth (in admissions) the region has seen, the sequel decreased. 

So that means it topped Latin America box office for the year in half of the markets, that's not embarrassing. 

Brazil would have been more than enough to push Endgame over Avatar? Such a weird thing to claim. How about, Endgame would have grossed about 60M in China in 2009 and fall  $570M short of what it made today. You don't just transport situation across 10 years without accounting for other factors and then blame me for not thinking about exchange rates...

European market not growing or declining by like 13%  over 10 years does not offset global expansion, China increased by like 1000% over 10 years. 

Ice Age 5 is a bad sequel to a dying franchise. When I am suggesting how Avatar would do in expanding market, I'm not taking about Avatar sequels, I'm talking about Avatar, the global phenomenon, how is that relevant to Ice Age 5's situation? 

Global box office market was 2009 is $29.4B and in 2019 it is $42B plus, if inflation and market expansion did not significantly boost global box office, what other explanation is there?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Exactly. Movies gross more globally than they ever have, that's an undisputed fact. All the reasons people come up with to push their narrative ("in country X the currency has gone to shit"), forget it. Look at the all time lists, there it is, plain to see, in black and white.

Absolutely! I've been saying this forever:

If people think exchange rate is so great and helped films so much in 2009, please do me a favour, and pull out the highest grossing films in 2009 and compare their gross to 2017 and 2018 (most recent complete years). If exchange rate helped Avatar that much, surely it will help other movies in 2009 as well!

This narrative is so strange because it implies that exchange rates helps Avatar and nothing else in 2009, and exchange rate damages Endgame and Infinity War but nothing else in 2018/2019...That narrative doesn't stack up against careful examination.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 6

I want any answer to “EG grossed 2.7B” be “yes” and not “but inflation” or “but global growth” or “Titanic grossed twice previous record holder and Avatar 50% more that”

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Absolutely! I've been saying this forever:

If people think exchange rate is so great and helped films so much in 2009, please do me a favour, and pull out the highest grossing films in 2009 and compare their gross to 2017 and 2018 (most recent complete years). If exchange rate helped Avatar that much, surely it will help other movies in 2009 as well!

This narrative is so strange because it implies that exchange rates helps Avatar and nothing else in 2009, and exchange rate damages Endgame and Infinity War but nothing else in 2018/2019...That narrative doesn't stack up against carefully examination.

ER helped Alice, Sherlock Holmes, Chipmunks, but in lesser extent.

6 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

I want any answer to “EG grossed 2.7B” be “yes” and not “but inflation” or “but global growth” or “Titanic grossed twice previous record holder and Avatar 50% more that”

And no one said otherwise, I only bring up those things when we do historic run discussions, otherwise, EG grossing 2.76B, second/first highest grossing film, is going to be the end of the sentence.

5 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

ER helped Alice, Sherlock Holmes, Chipmunks, but in lesser extent.

The argument, to be more precise, is not that ER doesn't help, it is that despite ER, films in 2018 and 2019 just gross a lot more globally than 2009 and 2010, because inflation + market expansion >>> ER

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

Nobody but few of us boxoffice enthusiasts knows ER or care about their effect on boxoffice. what normies see is whether the movie's #1 or not. how it got there (awesome ER, shit ER, fudge, Puerto Rico, etc) is not their concern and no news site will ever say something like "No 1 thanks to great ER" or "No 1 despite shit ER unlike previous title holder that got there only thanks to great ER". It's fandom wars semantics. Any movie that makes 2 billie and even comes close to 3 billie (which passing 2.5 billie is) is a remarkable success no matter what. as others said, then why movies released in the same year didn't take advantage of ER or other boxoffice booster on that level? why aren't they so special? so yeah, Avatar and EG are special and attempts to undermine one or the other won't work. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

How about, Endgame would have grossed about 60M in China in 2009 

Not a Dollar less than 150mn. We are neighbours, Avatar did beat 2012 in India as well, but Endgame is bigger than both of them here deflated for inflation.

Same goes for Pakistan. 

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Not a Dollar less than 150mn. 

Oh my god,  that's a lot of confidence in Endgame, Charlie, considering the highest grossing film in China at the time was 2012 at only $68M, which was just released in 2009. Endgame honestly doesn't feel like it's bigger than Transformers 2 in China, which also in 2009 grossed like $65M. 

Oh well, transporting situations across a decade may be an exercise in futility, since we have our narratives and nothing can prove whether one's wrong or correct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

2009 pop - 6,873,741,054

2019 pop - 7,714,576,923

What percentage increase in admission you seeing @Charlie Jatinder?

2018 Global box office increased by 40% compare to 2009, 2019 even more.

China's population didn't increase from 2009 to now basically, and admission count increased  by almost 800%

Considering that increase in admission mostly happen in developing markets with cheaper admission, I think we know what the conclusion is. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Good one.

Prepone MCU to 1998.

I don't think you can move Endgame and predict it in other timeslots because it's reliant on the actors, technology and 22 films before it.

For instance Thanos would be a guy in a costume if Endgame was released April 2009, it wasn't until Avatar brought in groundbreaking technology that other films caught up years later and started using Volumes for filming CGI characters. Without RDJ as Tony Stark you're going to have a rough time also.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Oh my god,  that's a lot of confidence in Endgame, Charlie, considering the highest grossing film in China at the time was 2012 at only $68M, which was just released in 2009. Endgame honestly doesn't feel like it's bigger than Transformers 2 in China, which also in 2009 grossed like $65M. 

Its just like saying, Transformers 2 did 65mn so Avatar can never do 100mn in 2010.

True, the screens have increased in China but that doesn't mean same increase in audience. There was audience for 200mn in 2010 (ffs we are talking about 1.3 billion people). Endgame has 85mn admissions in China. Can't believe it would lose 9/10 of that in 2010 because ATP of Avatar and Endgame are almost same.

2012 was original film. Transformers 2, agreed big in China but still can't match 11 years of a beloved franchise and story finale. Say whatever you think. If believing 200mn is ceiling in 2010 and 850 today. Endgame did 74% of that, that will be 150mn Approx.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't think you can move Endgame and predict it in other timeslots because it's reliant on the actors, technology and 22 films before it.

For instance Thanos would be a guy in a costume if Endgame was released April 2009, it wasn't until Avatar brought in groundbreaking technology that other films caught up years later and started using Volumes for filming CGI characters. Without RDJ as Tony Stark you're going to have a rough time also.

Well they computer generated Hulk in 2008, that will do for Thanos. Don't think technology stopped Star Wars or LoTR from what they are.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder