kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Titantic released today could so that. Or it could 2B because of exchange rates and the fact that comparing 1997 to 2019 is insane. Piracy, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, all other streaming sites, it's nothing like it was back then. 

Top-end computers had a cost of $2500-3k for desktop PCs 

Now for less than half you can get a loaded notebook. About $600 probably in 1997 dollars. Hell for the equivalent of $100 or less you can get devices to stream Netflix. It's a different world.

Oh I absolutely don't disagree with you, that's like saying GWTW releasing today won't outgross Captain Marvel, that's true, but it doesn't diminish any appreciation to its historic run. Movie are products of their era, and Titanic might not translate as well today, but what a "Titanic like" performance today would amount to, for a movie hypothetically as big as "Titanic" back then, is different than saying Titanic itself would have made such and such today.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

At first I thought Avatar was shit and I was hoping the sequel to flop , crash and burn. But that changed about 2 months ago , when Disney bought Fox including Avatar. Disney opened my eyes about Avatar. Now I live gladly to see Avatar 2 breaking all those records. Go Avatar 2. And now I owe Disney for all their kindness to finally opened my eyes and introduces me to a whole new world. Disney is love. Disney is Life. Hail Disney.

• Haha 1

there's no one to one comparison between eras. Titanic had loooong legs because they released fewer movies back then so one that really connected could play in theaters for almost a year. now theatrical and screen cuts are why movies drop faster, within 3-4 months or less. not sayin Titanic wouldn't be this big today but if it was it would be most likely due to a more traditional run (huge OW decent holds) than crazy legs with barely any drops after low opening. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Pretty sure it is. Almost all.of them believe 2.75B would be a failure is which is sure idiocy.

2.75B would be a massive success..

This really isn't a hard concept.

Jim wants 3 billies - If Jim doesn't get 3 billies he has failed his goal.

We ain't saying it will be financial failure, just a failure of expectations, which is fine.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Oh I absolutely don't disagree with you, that's like saying GWTW releasing today won't outgross Captain Marvel, that's true, but it doesn't diminish any appreciation to its historic run. Movie are products of their era, and Titanic might not translate as well today, but what a "Titanic like" performance today would amount to, for a movie hypothetically as big as "Titanic" back then, is different than saying Titanic itself would have made such and such today.

Titanic had a run that seems like nothing else ever did except maybe Gone with the wind. What Avatar did in 2009 almost seems impossible today. That isn't up for debate I completely agree.

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This really isn't a hard concept.

Jim wants 3 billies - If Jim doesn't get 3 billies he has failed his goal.

We ain't saying it will be financial failure, just a failure of expectations, which is fine.

That is crazy but find I can accept that. Failure of his own personal expectations but overall a massive success. 3B seems very possible, especially with it being repeatedly delayed. United States should definitely be in a recession by 2021, possibly 2020. 

Edited by cdsacken

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

That is crazy but find I can accept that. Failure of his own personal expectations but overall a massive success. 3B seems very possible, especially with it being repeatedly delayed. United States should definitely be in a recession by 2021, possibly 2020. 

Now if this trade war continues and somehow China decide to ban import of Hollywood films, then I might fall into depression.;)  If not then 3B is really not that hard to grasp considering global total market size by 2021, it won't even be as much of a challenge than say 1.84B in 1997, or 2.787B in 2009. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Just to be clear and no disrespect to @IronJimbo (just a little WTF ;)), Jim never actually said he wants $3b.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Claudio said:

Going by this thread , I really don't want to imagine what the Avatar 2 OS thread will look like especially if it can't match or surpass its predecessor. Probably gonna be hell of BOT.

Probably a quick expectations adjustment and then a lot of talk about how great the movie is and discussion about Avatar 3, e.g. see the Alita thread.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Titantic released today could so that. Or it could 2B because of exchange rates and the fact that comparing 1997 to 2019 is insane. Piracy, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, all other streaming sites, it's nothing like it was back then. 

Top-end computers had a cost of $2500-3k for desktop PCs 

Now for less than half you can get a loaded notebook. About $600 probably in 1997 dollars. Hell for the equivalent of $100 or less you can get devices to stream Netflix. It's a different world.

Do you know what zeitgeist means? Titanic shattered total gross records in every country in the world. It made Leo-mania a thing. The damn song played every 15 minutes on the radio. It tied the all-time Oscar records. Netflix doesn’t mean shit when a movie like Titanic comes around. 

Thanks for the answer Charlie. I agree with $4.5-5B.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

iknorite? It’s so weird that a website dedicated to box office returns would attract some Cameron fans.

"Fans"

My friend, from what I've observed over my time here on this forum, fans would be a tame word to describe some people here.

• Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Do you know what zeitgeist means? Titanic shattered total gross records in every country in the world. It made Leo-mania a thing. The damn song played every 15 minutes on the radio. It tied the all-time Oscar records. Netflix doesn’t mean shit when a movie like Titanic comes around. 

Thanks for the answer Charlie. I agree with $4.5-5B.

Titanic now wouldn't get the oscars it did back then, it's different academy than it was 20 years ago

Edited by JimiQ

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

I think Jim just wants to set up Avatar 3 like IW did for Endgame and if it breaks records in the process, all the better.

I don't think he's looking for inspiration from Marvel to be honest...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Probably a quick expectations adjustment and then a lot of talk about how great the movie is and discussion about Avatar 3, e.g. see the Alita thread.

Wait.. someone liked alita? O.O please dont connect JC with that movie, i still have flashbacks of him as larry bird up in that floating city... waiting to wake up

TTVOMJ

2 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Titanic now wouldn't get the oscars it did back then, it's different academy than it was 20 years ago

I used the word zeitgeist for a reason, I was not asking what the literal movie Titanic would make if it was released today. If you don’t know what zeitgeist means please don’t @ me again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I don't think he's looking for inspiration from Marvel to be honest...

No ofc not I’m just drawing a very rough sketch. I think he’d rather have A3 increase than stay the same or drop. But who knows. So few details about A2.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I used the word zeitgeist for a reason, I was not asking what the literal movie Titanic would make if it was released today. If you don’t know what zeitgeist means please don’t @ me again.

Dude, I am the one who argued with zeitgeist in A2 thread like a month ago. Don't be rude and immature.

• Like 2