kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Yep, if we remove Anomaly Avatar, ROTK would have been highest grossing film for 8 years, not TDK, Shrek 2, Pirate 2, Finding Nemo, Harry Potter 4, 5, 6, and Toy Story 3 none of them were able to outgross ROTK.

I think the reason that ROTK didn't threaten Titanic all that much, like how Endgame is threatening Avatar now. Was because China is dormant in those 6 years between ROTK and Titanic, if China increased by 10 times like it did during 2009 - 2019, and ROTK took advantage of that.... It's not inconceivable that we had a 1.4B+ grosser back in 2003! That is definitely impressive ;)

First Jim Cam sequel in the franchise era has me so hyped.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I didn't remove them, I just simply cant see how that is an disadvantage for movies in this era, especially for blockbuster.

I do agree streaming affect box office of the mid budget drama/comedy or non-action/VFX film, but at the space of VFX blockbuster, technology advancement cohabit with them well.

Blockbusters are getting more and more money nowadays, while non VFX/action oriented films struggle. I called them income gap of the box office and they just got worse and worse.  The days of Hangover/Blindside or Ted kind of success are becoming less and less likely.  

I can't make you see logical things but legs are getting shorter for every single movie. It's getting harder every year for every movie to sustain anything. If you want to pretend it doesn't impact it I can't stop you.

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hmm.

Wouldn't you say we were already in the social media and 3d age when Avatar was released?

It is a great achievement of course no one is doubting that.

Not really no. We were in the start of it. iPhone came out in 2008. Avatar might have exploded even more like Titanic in 2000

Titanic was amazing it it's time. Avatar was amazing in it's era. End Game was amazing in it's era.

Lotr and Harry Potter did great but less so overall. Like Star Wars TFA shattered DOM but just did very good internationally.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Titanic was amazing it it's time. Avatar was amazing in it's era. End Game was amazing in it's era.

Lotr and Harry Potter did great but less so overall. Like Star Wars TFA shattered DOM but just did very good internationally.

TFA did more than good. it did 1.131B OS. That is amazing.

• Like 1

Today I learned that the internet is the same as it was 10 years ago, social media the same, huge TV’s was cheap back then and that everyone had one, same with gaming PC’s and consoles.

Like come on, the convenience with piracy  today compared to 10 years ago is huge.

1000/1000 internet makes it so easy to download actual good quality 80GB movies in no time. iPhone came out in late 2008, so the smartphone age hadn’t startet at all in 2009. Today you can do everything on your phone with 4G, YouTube, Netflix, Twitch, social media etc. Free to play games today is a lot bigger than back then aswell, so many battle royale games have exploded largely thanks to Twitch. Compare yearly YouTube views from 2009 and 2019 and you will see a substantialy bigger market growth than the theatres have. Streaming like Netflix are a big reason that developed countries like Japan, USA, South Korea and western Europe and Scandinavia sells less tickets than they did 10 years ago. 

Reading this thread have been pure cancer, people dismissing everything and coming up with an excuse to call this or that better and claimimg the society we live in and how we live it hasn’t changed the past 10 years, so their ego doesn’t get hurt.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Despite all of that, movies gross more than they ever had.

Yep, I don't know what that whole novel about Social Media and Streaming and 4G is all about but this is the bottomline.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

I hope Chinese company will choose the old ER for the whole run like that. 

We will never know how disney will report the gross accordingly to what ER.

Using my experience in real working life, according to GAAP and IFRS framework (accounting principle), the revenue that involve foreign exchange rate, the revenue is recognized based on the spot exchange rate of when the transaction happened, any losses or gain resulted from ER fluctuation when the cash finally transferred from overseas back to parent house, will not recognized as revenue losses or gain, but recognized as a separate section under exchange rate loss or gain.

Using that framework and accounting practice, and applied them to box office report. The likely scenario will be the box office report will be using the spot exchange rate of that week, example.

Movie X in china:

week1 rmb500m, ER 6.8, USD gross: 73.5m

week2 rmb300m, ER 7.0, USD gross : 42.85m

week 3 rmb200m, ER 7.5 USD gross: 26,7m

Total 73.5m+42.85m+26.7m=143.05m USD gross.

And in real accounting world, every accountant will try to maximize the revenue recognition pertaining to accounting principle. So, i doubt the box office recognition will take the bad ER for the entire run but neither can they choose good ER for entire run, especially in some countries the entire run lasted few months.

*revenue is not equal to cash in accounting, you may recognize 100m revenue but receiving zero cash

• Like 3

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

We will never know how disney will report the gross accordingly to what ER.

Using my experience in real working life, according to GAAP and IFRS framework (accounting principle), the revenue that involve foreign exchange rate, the revenue is recognized based on the spot exchange rate of when the transaction happened, any losses or gain resulted from ER fluctuation when the cash finally transferred from overseas back to parent house, will not recognized as revenue losses or gain, but recognized as a separate section under exchange rate loss or gain.

Using that framework and accounting practice, and applied them to box office report. The likely scenario will be the box office report will be using the spot exchange rate of that week, example.

Movie X in china:

week1 rmb500m, ER 6.8, USD gross: 73.5m

week2 rmb300m, ER 7.0, USD gross : 42.85m

week 3 rmb200m, ER 7.5 USD gross: 26,7m

Total 73.5m+42.85m+26.7m=143.05m USD gross.

And in real accounting world, every accountant will try to maximize the revenue recognition pertaining to accounting principle. So, i doubt the box office recognition will take the bad ER for the entire run but neither can they choose good ER for entire run, especially in some countries the entire run lasted few months.

*revenue is not equal to cash in accounting, you may recognize 100m revenue but receiving zero cash

Exactly, that's what I do and I assume all other Hollywood studios do. In fact I take daily exchange rate for the same.

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

TFA did more than good. it did 1.131B OS. That is amazing.

Extremely good then. Compare to earth shattering DOM numbers right up there with Titanic and Avatar in terms of dominance. It's not the same but yes it's fantastic. Just not earth shattering. Same goes for End Game WW nominally, although I would argue it overall based on the current environment and current exchange rates.