kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

I think both group of Avatar and Endgame are being picky with their analysis. I haven’t seen a single breakdown of what movie’s run is more impressive than the other that’s objective. None of you seem to consider all the pros and cons of both movies.

• Thanks 1

A day before release if someone had said 500m under Avatar ww for EG, then majority of folks here would have accepted it. :)

Is 110 away from Avatar and even optimistically can't add more than 85-90m ww imo, falling short by 20-25m. I think it's a fair result and China brought it closer than one would have expected - 70%+ growth there from AIW's record haul for 630m+ was most impressive.

Edited by a2k

As long as Titanic will remain greatest of all time indisputably and people are well remember and aware of that fact, I am fine who sit on top of the worldwide crown.

AVatar and Endgame are simply too close to call which one is more impressive. I have Avatar ahead of EG simply because the movie scored all time number 1 in more markets compared to EG. And, it is an original film without any fan base. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I think both group of Avatar and Endgame are being picky with their analysis. I haven’t seen a single breakdown of what movie’s run is more impressive than the other that’s objective. None of you seem to consider all the pros and cons of both movies

Someone compared them to federer, nadal and djokovic... i would also add greats from 90's like sampras, agassi, becker, edberg etc... or lets play football: maradonna or pele... ronaldo or rivaldo.. messi or cristiano.. too many variables+zeitgeist to compare flawlessly.. we need to go by gut feeling and something tells me that isnt safe xD

TTVOMJ

42 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Or maybe I'm an outside eye with no dog in this fight that can see both sides on equal footing and tell that one side is not worse or better than the other, despite what they might think of themselves.

Don't be so quick to judge a book by its cover, I might look new but maybe I'm not so new.

Well , so you’re a neutral side. Congrats. Yet you were saying that this shit in this thread started when people trying to dismiss Avatar so this circle jerk shit keeps happening again and again. Therefore we are the one who you ‘blamed’ and told us  to stop. While in fact , all this shit happened because some certain Avatar fans invaded and said something which have no correlation with EG. Sorry , brother. Maybe you need to stop pretending to be a wise one.

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

As long as Titanic will remain greatest of all time indisputably and people are well remember and aware of that fact, I am fine who sit on top of the worldwide crown.

AVatar and Endgame are simply too close to call which one is more impressive. I have Avatar ahead of EG simply because the movie scored all time number 1 in more markets compared to EG. And, it is an original film without any fan base. 

sorry i know that is irrelevant but do you know when the actuals for eg overseas will come ?

6 minutes ago, john2000 said:

sorry i know that is irrelevant but do you know when the actuals for eg overseas will come ?

How is that irrelevant? This is endgame OS thread....

In 2 hours, judging from past few week's pattern.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

How is that irrelevant? This is endgame OS thread....

In 2 hours, judging from past few week's pattern.....

I’m not sure about that. With a bank holiday in NA, we might only get OS totals this Tuesday instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

You make some interesting points but Godzilla has zero chance of approching $1b

2014 Godzilla made almost 530 millions WW. King of the monsters has much more hype on it's side, resulting in more people eager to see it. Even people who weren't interested in first one or aren't interested in sci-fi especially kaiju genre were excited by trailer and will see it in theaters. Anyway we will see in several days will it go on the path to 1b ww.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:38 PM, Agafin said:

It would be quite funny if EG ends up higher than Avatar's first run ($2749m) but below the current number ($2787m) which includes the re-release. I wasn't tracking BO back in 2010 but those who did probably considered that re-release pretty pointless as it only added $30ish million to its gross. Who would have that it would end up helping Avatar keep its crown a decade later? 

The same thing happened domestically in 2012 when The Avengers surpassed Titanic's original gross ($600m) becoming the first non-Cameron movie to do so, but ultimately failed to top Titanic thanks to the 3D release. 

Jim is over here playing chess in the future. 

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

IW stood at 951M after a 14.5M 5th weekend. Ended with 990M (+39M)

EG will stand at 1.251B after a presumably 16M (actuals) weekend. Exact ratio gives it +43M to 1.294B. That is very optimistic considering competition, so 1286-1291M may be it for 1.915-1.920B total.

Domestic range is 850-860M. So 2.765-2.780B is where it's heading.

Ended with 993, (+42M). Endgame does still seem likely to be below 1300.    

We’ll see how things go over next month, but seems safe to say that Endgame is #1 first run ever and may be #1 overall or may not depending on what Disney wants to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danhtruong5 said:

Yeah. At the end, I think EG does not have any notable achievement. 

Except beating the domestic OW record by 39% (second best ever only Return of the Jedi 23m beating Star Trek 2 14.3m being a bigger jump according to this):

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm And I would imagine the OW record in a lot of market as well.

Having the most attendance ever in some markets and some regions events.

• Like 1

jkQbHCB.png

Avatar - Original movie which had to leg out its gross released in the franchise era that revolutionised many film techologies and created new ones aswell.

Endgame - Part 2 Film released off the back of a 10 year franchise and the part 1 film a year before hand (which grossed over 2 billies) (made no new technologies and used ones created in 2009 by Avatar)

Clearly movies make more money now. Market growth and inflation is FAR greater than change in the exchange rates.

Don't believe me? Just hang in there to 2021 DEC and you'll see just how small this Endgame number really is.

GLOBAL BOX OFFICE

2009: 29.4 billion

2018: 41.1 billion

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3