kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

jkQbHCB.png

Avatar - Original movie which had to leg out its gross released in the franchise era that revolutionised many film techologies and created new ones aswell.

OMG Jimbo!

Am I seeing a near 40% increase in average top grossing films worldwide from 2009 to 2019?

What happened to exchange rates? People told me exchange rates were so bad for USD in 2009 that it helped 2009 films tremendously, looks like it did help them....to gross almost 40% less than now:lol::lol: What an amazing help exchange rate did!

This point has to be driven home: Market expansion + global inflation >>>>>> Exchange rate differences 

Could you explain that second graph to me? I'm not really sure if I quite follow that.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

OMG Jimbo!

Am I seeing a near 40% increase in average top grossing films worldwide from 2009 to 2019?

What happened to exchange rates? People told me exchange rates were so bad for USD in 2009 that it helped 2009 films tremendously, looks like it did help them....to gross almost 40% less than now:lol::lol: What an amazing help exchange rate did!

This point has to be driven home: Market expansion + global inflation >>>>>> Exchange rate differences 

Could you explain that second graph to me? I'm not really sure if I quite follow that.

can you plz stop, we got but plz stop this here, thats an avengers thread  from the moment that the arguement which movie was more impressive  , doesnt add anything and its not related to this thread you should stop, if you want to continue with the same thing go to the avatar thread or elsewhere but plz stop this discussion here, both sides have valid point and by repeating yourselfs all of you wont do anything

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

can you plz stop, we got but plz stop this here, thats an avengers thread  from the moment that the arguement which movie was more impressive  , doesnt add anything and its not related to this thread you should stop, if you want to continue with the same thing go to the avatar thread or elsewhere but plz stop this discussion here

Well, the conversation never stepped away from Avatar vs EG impressiveness in the last few pages anyway. I will try to stop now if people don't add more fire to it. We are having the exact same discussion in Avatar 2 thread and since I saw Jimbo posted the graph here, I couldn't help but add something. It's a very interesting finding that could put a serious dent to "exchange rate" argument, worth sharing for sure.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

jkQbHCB.png

Avatar - Original movie which had to leg out its gross released in the franchise era that revolutionised many film techologies and created new ones aswell.

Endgame - Part 2 Film released off the back of a 10 year franchise and the part 1 film a year before hand (which grossed over 2 billies) (made no new technologies and used ones created in 2009 by Avatar)

Clearly movies make more money now. Market growth and inflation is FAR greater than change in the exchange rates.

Don't believe me? Just hang in there to 2021 DEC and you'll see just how small this Endgame number really is.

GLOBAL BOX OFFICE

2009: 29.4 billion

2018: 41.1 billion

See... there is a difference between trolling and context.. gj today! I would only ask you this... do you really think avatar is bigger than titanic?^^

TTVOMJ

13 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Well, the conversation never stepped away from Avatar vs EG impressiveness in the last few pages anyway. I will try to stop now if people don't add more fire to it. We are having the exact same discussion in Avatar 2 thread and since I saw Jimbo posted the graph here, I couldn't help but add something. It's a very interesting finding that could put a serious dent to "exchange rate" argument, worth sharing for sure.

Ofc exchange rates arent perfect when back then we literally lived in a world that never heard of captain america... even if avatar did sell fewer tickets(doubt it), population and other movie ratio is impossible to ignore(let alone live thru it like many here did)... i cant believe some bring the "avatar wouldnt cross as much now" or "endgame wouldnt gross this much back then" argument into a universe with linear timeline... 😕 ps: yeah i guess this thread is where dick measuring is now since its such a close race... i am just stupefied that there are box office fans who would prefer ANY older movie keep the crown(even tho it can reclaim it in a year) ..numbers boys numbers!! And girls!! :)

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos

5 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

Ofc exchange rates arent perfect when back then we literally lived in a world that never heard of captain america... even if avatar did sell fewer tickets(doubt it), population and other movie ratio is impossible to ignore(let alone live thru it like many here did)... i cant believe some bring the "avatar wouldnt cross as much now" or "endgame wouldnt gross this much back then" argument into a universe with linear timeline... 😕 ps: yeah i guess this thread is where dick measuring is now since its such a close race... i am just stupefied that there are box office fans who would prefer ANY older movie keep the crown(even tho it can reclaim it in a year) ..numbers boys numbers!! And girls!! :)

TTVOMJ

Oh that's just the nature of things, sometimes we want record to be passed, sometimes we don't. When Avatar passed Titanic, I was ecstatic, not much talk belittling Titanic's previous record back then, therefore no need to defend it.

This discussion also isn't about passing or not passing the all time record, Endgame could have passed Avatar this conversation remains the same: Avatar's run was more impressive. :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

OMG Jimbo!

the numbers on the X axis are the rank in the highest grossing worldwide films

so for rank 1 it's Titanic for Avatar and Avatar for Endgame

rank 2 it's ROTK for Avatar and Titanic for Endgame

rank 3 it's whatever for Avatar and TFA for Endgame

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

OMG Jimbo!

Well that makes sense considering the number of movies released have almost doubled since 2009.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

____Oh that's just the nature of things, sometimes we want record to be passed, sometimes we don't.____ When Avatar passed Titanic, I was ecstatic, not much talk belittling Titanic's previous record back then, therefore no need to defend it.

This discussion also isn't about passing or not passing the all time record, Endgame could have passed Avatar this conversation remains the same: Avatar's run was more impressive. :)

That sounds like lazy writing... no exceptions... no compromise.. a constant... a win is a win.. if jw3 became highest grossing movie ever i would be extatic(more big numbers)..then if aladdin did the same even better(moar numberzzzz).. xD no ego no cry^^

TTVOMJ

20 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Well that makes sense considering the number of movies released have almost doubled since 2009.

Source ? 346 world release tracked by Mojo

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2009&p=.htm

308 in 2018:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2018&p=.htm

But I imagine there is many thousand not tracked by box office mojo.

Needless to say that 200 or 500 movie made under 1 million and getting almost no release do not change much of anything to the global box office it it look like the domestic market.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

the amount of Hollywood blockbuster that earns a significant amount of money on a year-year basis don't differ all that much. In any case, you're not making much sense., even if there are more movies released today, wouldn't that be a disadvantage for movies today? Why then would they gross (on average) 40% more compare to 2009?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

As stated before avatar Stans are the worst fans. They literally ruin every thread.

#1 yay for you.

You only find it irratating because you yourself are a marvel stan and reality is a tough pill to swallow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cameronstan dick-riders are the worst. Can’t handle it Endgame has trashed it at the box office in tickets solds. Let’s thank 3D for those inflated records. Endgame clobbers it by most box office pundits. 

• Like 1

So... maybe I should wait for the actuals to post this, but it's raining and I'm bored, so here it goes:

I've been doing some math, and Infinity War made $43.510.048 from the period that it stopped playing in China (last Thursday) until the end that film's run. This means that from the $100.405.980 that Infinity War did overseas from their last weekend forward, if you subtract what China did you get to $56.895.932, from OS-C from this point forward for Infinity War. After the Memorial Weekend, Infinity War made more $51.166.302.

Bear in mind two things:

1. The further a big release like Endgame is on its run, the less affected by new competition the film becomes. Why? The releases that are making less money or are ending their run make room for the newer releases. Regardless on which side of the argument you are when it comes to what film should top the worldwide highest grossing record, you gotta agree that the movies that will be sacrificed to accommodate the new releases aren't the ones that are still raking money at the box office, it's the indies and maybe unfortunately, the Dumbos, Shazams and the indies that are making far less money. Endgame won't drop out dead out of movie theaters, and I honestly doubt it will only make more $50m at the box office from this Tuesday forward in the domestic market, let alone $40m. I fully expect die hards and the curiosity about the film that might top Avatar to make this crawl to an around $865m finish, if not a bit more.

2. And this might be the most poignant point of all: people are seemingly expecting Endgame to have it's legs cut short because of all the big releases going forward need to look at two things: it's literally almost mimicking Infinity War numbers since week 3, and while it goes up and down against that film throughout the weekdays, it managed to come out on top of it by $1m on both weeks. And what is more interesting, the same is happening when you look at the overseas market, if the estimates for this weekend hold.

Endgame is on the path of a similar box office haul that Infinity War did from this point forward. The fact that there is what you see as big releases didn't stop things like Adrift and Ocean's 8 also got wide releases in movie theaters last year.

My current projection:

$866m Dom, $630m C, $1900m OS-C = $2.79B WW

And I think that without a re-release.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Quigley said:

I've missed the last 17 pages. Was there anything noteworthy said other than angry Avatar vs Endgame arguments?

Yes. you can enjoy some Cameron stans doing an orgy in Avengers thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You won't catch Cameron stans being so vulgar though, we have class.

Reading your comment , I instantly remember your comment in the past about you and your ex girlfriend did some Na’vi ritual and language thing. It’s always cracks me up haha. So hilarious.  

P.S. : I’m just sharing a funny memory. Please don’t hate me.

2 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Reading your comment , I instantly remember your comment in the past about you and your ex girlfriend did some Na’vi ritual and language thing. It’s always cracks me up haha. So hilarious.  

P.S. : I’m just sharing a funny memory. Please don’t hate me.

NOT COOL

Ok every other Cameron stan has class and I have class unless talking in an R rated thread.

• Like 1