kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

6 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

Couldn’t Disney just do something like that if they need to? How did Fox get away with it?

India there is no comScore to counter any claim. There is Box Office India named portal which is considered as the best tracking portal in India by industry and box office addicts. 

As per BOI, Avatar grossed ₹78cr i.e. $16.25mn while Fox claim over ₹110cr.

Fun fact, as per Disney Endgame has grossed $61.5mn while local trade has it at $63.5mn. lol.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

India there is no comScore to counter any claim. There is Box Office India named portal which is considered as the best tracking portal in India by industry and box office addicts. 

Fun fact, as per Disney Endgame has grossed $61.5mn while local trade has it at $63.5mn. lol.

Wtf..... EG lost $2m in India because of Disney? 

5 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

Disney absolutely has reason to want to give a push to a film within it's MCU, which also apparently sets up Phase 4 spectacularly. 

The more anticipation built now for phase 4, the better it is for Disney next year. 

Let's not pretend like the Sony/Spidey deal only benefits one party. If that was so, Disney would have never made the deal. They aren't in desperate need to make deals that don't benefit them.  

Not saying you're wrong but Disney does own S-M merchandise rights so even if it didn't benefit their film division (which it obviously does) they still would've made the deal. 

37 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Maybe it will be added eventually.

@Charlie Jatinder, are you saying Avatar was definitely fudged in India so any and all fudging by Endgame is fair play? 

Edit: you seem to contradict yourself in the next post by saying India doesn’t have accurate trade reporting so there’s no way to know if any fudging was happening. Fudging is reporting false actuals using creative accounting or other methods, I thought. Not simply reporting actuals in an area with bad estimates.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

@Charlie Jatinder, are you saying Avatar was definitely fudged in India so any and all fudging by Endgame is fair play? 

I haven't seen anyone other than Fox saying that Avatar beat 2012 in India which grossed ₹90cr.

In fact, in between run, Fox had reported that India record is out of reach but in final count they crossed 2012 by 6mn Approx.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2657&p=.htm

However, the countries that are likely out of its reach include India, Japan, Brazil, Argentina, Turkey, Belgium and Finland, and it has a long way to go in France and the United Kingdom.

As per BOI in 2016

https://www.boxofficeindia.com/report-details.php?articleid=1986

1. The Jungle Book (2016) - 150 crore apprx (13 days)

2. Fast & Furious 7 (2015) - 97.86 crore

3. Jurassic World (2015) - 90.62 crore

4. Avengers - Age Of Ultron (2015) - 76.48 crore

5. 2012 (2009) - 63.66 crore

6. Life Of Pi (2012) - 61.19 crore

7. Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014) - 57.82 crore

8. Avatar (2009) - 57.04 crore

9. Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - 54.30 crore

10. Amazing Spiderman (2012) - 53.24 crore

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think that's how it works. Much logical thing is half half each.

This is headline reporting not how the eventual real rental money is split between the films. 

Also, that’s Domestic explanation from @RtheEnd  I believe it’s not the same everywhere. 

Here we go. A deep dive into the archives. 

• Like 2

Disney is also doing the push in LA. Chain says that there are 8 additional minutes of footage, half at the beginning of the movie and half at the end (after credits). Starts on June 27th.

Also, lol at the doubting of admissions, like, is extremely easy to check if the figure is correct with local sources. If you can't be bothered to do it is your own fault. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

@Charlie Jatinder

Edit: you seem to contradict yourself in the next post by saying India doesn’t have accurate trade reporting so there’s no way to know if any fudging was happening. Fudging is reporting false actuals using creative accounting or other methods, I thought. Not simply reporting actuals in an area with bad estimates.

There is nothing like comScore but we do have boxoffice data with local trackers which is 95-100% accurate, more close to latter.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator
On 6/20/2019 at 8:10 PM, Pure Spirit said:

What are you saying, here? Hollywood accounting is one thing, but box office receipts, I thought, were harder to fake. Are you saying in the chaos of Toy Story 4, Disney might slide a little money Endgame's way?

$20M isn't really like those other stories you mentioned, Superman Returns only needed $2M when the drops started to look fishy. Then again, getting WW #1 is worth a lot of money in headlines and good will. Unless everyone sees the con happen... then it's just going to generate a lot of animosity (I personally don't care, but I bet JC wouldn't appreciate Disney doing something so obvious and humiliating).

EDIT: I do agree with your gut on a certain level... with the re-release and """new footage""". I think whether Avatar goes down at this point is in Disney's hands, not the GA.

I'm hesitant to really speculate one way or the other how Disney will get it there. I was just outlining some of the best possibilities that came to mind.

I'm really only mentioning the idea of "backloading" receipts because I've been told from someone at a studio with more knowledge of the inner studio reporting methods that multiple films have excluded all their earnings from opening weekend and/or preview shows to have them spread out through the course of the run, or lumped into the very end of a run. I have no idea how or even if Disney will do that with Endgame, but there's precedent for it at least. 

$20M might seem like a lot more, but in terms of scale, it really isn't. A $20m push is less than 1% of the overall global take. That's the equivalent in percentage terms of getting a movie an extra $2M to $200M. Has Disney pocketed (not reported) that much money for Avengers up to this point in its run? I have no idea. That's pure conjecture on anyone's part.

Will they double book it with Toy Story 4 to count grosses both toward films? Maybe, maybe not -- but there's definitely precedent for this that we can actually see with past box office reporting, especially with Disney films having incredible holds during past openings of their own films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Founder / Operator
23 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

I think that’s what @Shawn was implying, and it’s my gut feeling as well. The re-release provides perfect, uhm, cover. I’m not saying Disney will do anything untoward, but let’s just say the fudge factory received a big shipment of ingredients.

jurassic park life finds a way GIF

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm implying. I just wouldn't call it a fudge yet -- mainly because we have no idea how they'll really get it there. For all we know, they'll do it in a completely legitimate way. And for all we know, this re-release was planned all along. They did it with Infinity War, after all, which had no significant benchmarks to reach at the box office (IIRC)

• Thanks 1

I found myself laughing way too hard at that Jeff Goldblum Life Finds a Way gif. Life does indeed find a way, even at the box office.

And on the topic at hand, if Disney can get Endgame within $10 million of the record than they can absolutely slowly fudge their way there. I personally think $20 million is way too much as there isn't any not-blatantly-obvious way to fudge it to the goal, but 10 is very much achievable. And while chances of it getting to $2.778 billion with this re-release NOT-re-release are slim, it's definitely not impossible.

The only big issue I can see going forward, and I've said this before, is Endgame being 3+ hours long, well that just makes double-features tricky, not to mention it's really not compatible with the rest of Disney's summer slate, or really most of their slate for 2019. This thing would have worked a lot better (even thought it wouldn't make sense in the context of the movies) if Captain Marvel had come out AFTER Endgame, since they could have bundled those two together for the summer and that would have made a great combo with lasting appeal.

Edited by AlexMA