09/08 Week 16 0.35 1,937.68
16/08 Week 17 0.23 1,937.91
23/08 Week 18 0.15 1,938.06
30/08 Week 19 0.10 1,938.16
  Rest 1.46 1,939.62

Total 1,939.62  
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, The Dark Samurai said:

I knew that a lot of people would have a hard time accepting Avatar going down but the level of ridiculously desperate  excuse making is certainly eye opening.

Avatar sold 110+ million tickets less than Titanic, then sold 100 million tickets less than Endgame.  I love how being sandwiched between two films selling 100 million more tickets is getting completely ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Avatar had all the advantages over Titanic that Endgame supposedly has over Avatar and yet it sold 110+ million tickets less. Not to mention that the gimmick with which it made it's money would never fly today. I love that Avatar's selling point of 3D and CGI would have the exact same effect in 2019 where TV shows like GOT have better CGI nowadays and 3D is all but dead. 

The arguments are now boiling down to the same nonsense a boxing/MMA P4P list would do. You would compare a 135 pound fighter with Mike Tyson and claim that if his relative speed and power carried proportionally to 225 pounds he would be better. Which makes perfect sense....in an Ant Man movie. The 135 pounder would lose all of his speed advantage when he packs 70 pounds on a 5'6 frame, the ability to take a shot would go down the drain, and his power would be silly compared to an actual Heavyweight. ''He would also be 6'1 in this scenario'' Aaaaa ok, so now a 5'6, 135 pounder would become 6'1, 225 AND retain all the advantages he would have as a small fighter.

That's what Avatar's rebels (Save The Dream!) are doing. Having all of the pros of 2009, and there are a LOT of them, including a ridiculous ER (Endgame would have made $3,5B with it) coupled with all of the pros of 2019 (like a bigger China market) but having none of the cons that 2019 would bring.

The reality is simple....Endgame made more money despite having a a lot worse ER and it sold 100 million more tickets. Take China out and it's still over 60 million more tickets. Everything else is sour grapes. 

sqmljs.gif

b48c92.gif

126bmuf.jpg

100m less tickets? Sorry do you actually have any evidence to support that or are you just going by an endgame fans dubious calculations? Sure Avatar would be on about 2.4b with today's exchange rates, take China's 200m haul off to make for a fair comparison to endgame and that's 2.2b (as China's ex rate has barely changed from 10 years ago) Take China gross from endgame and its 2.2b. Now considering endgame tickets are more expensive today than the 3d prices of avatars 10 years ago I'd love to see evidence of this this 60m ticket difference because its sounds massively exaggerated 

Edited by Chucky
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Chucky said:

100m less tickets?

its a number provided by ppl with insight into the #

18 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Now considering endgame tickets are more expensive today than the 3d prices of avatars 10 years ago

that is wrong for at least some countries.

Do not confuse average ticket prices with the ticket price a certain movie asked for.

Add the split how many 3d tickets were sold per movie (huge difference) and so on

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

its a number provided by ppl with insight into the #

that is wrong for at least some countries.

Do not confuse average ticket prices with the ticket price a certain movie asked for.

Add the split how many 3d tickets were sold per movie (huge difference) and so on

It's from 1 guy, its not hard for a fan to round number the was he wants to for the purpose of supporting a movie they like.

I understand Avatars high 3d share but I've read on here the EU charged more for avatar tickets and considering I live in the UK (EU's largest market) I remember the price of watching Avatar in 3d and I know it was below the average 2d tickets of today so I'm going to question where these statistics come from as from the UK atleast it's not correct 

• Knock It Off 2

42 minutes ago, Chucky said:

It's from 1 guy, ..

I understand Avatars high 3d share .....

I remember the price of watching Avatar in 3d and I know it was below the average 2d tickets of today ....

wrong

80% is more than only high

depends on in which cinema someone goes at which times of day / which weekday.... how much surplus for e.g. overlength = not clear enough

I can say I've paid more for a high quality 3D screening of Avatar (a movie I've seen repeatedly) than for the one time I paid for 3D AEG (as told, I didn't like it, hence why I've seen AEG only once). It was in the same cinema to a similar time of day and so on in my case.

edit:

per US$ UK was not Europas biggest market btw.

Germany (#2) and France (#1) were bigger

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chucky said:

It's from 1 guy, its not hard for a fan to round number the was he wants to for the purpose of supporting a movie they like.

I understand Avatars high 3d share but I've read on here the EU charged more for avatar tickets and considering I live in the UK (EU's largest market) I remember the price of watching Avatar in 3d and I know it was below the average 2d tickets of today so I'm going to question where these statistics come from as from the UK atleast it's not correct 

Another factor that affects the tickets sold is average ticket price of each country. EG made a lot of its money in low ATP countries compared to Avatar.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Chucky said:

In Pound that might be the case but this is about a comparison in US-dollar and admissions.

Because for example ATP for Avatar was €10.14, while it was €11.25M for Endgame but in $ it was $14.3 for Avatar and just $12.5 for Endgame.

And for Avatar UK was the third biggest market behind France and Germany.

But the difference between the two is that Avatar did more than 2B in the high price countries (DOM, Europe, Japan, Aus and NZ) while Endgame did about 1.5B in those.

In other markets with way lower ticket prices Avatar did around 750M while Endgame did 1.3B and that is where the difference comes from.

Example (4th biggest OS country):

Avatar - Germany 11.3M adm $162M

Endgame - Brazil 20M adm $86M

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

wrong

80% is more than only high

depends on in which cinema someone goes at which times of day / which weekday.... how much surplus for e.g. overlength = not clear enough

I can say I've paid more for a high quality 3D screening of Avatar (a movie I've seen repeatedly) than for the one time I paid for 3D AEG (as told, I didn't like it, hence why I've seen AEG only once). It was in the same cinema to a similar time of day and so on in my case.

I watched Avatar 3d 6 times in 4 different theatre chains in 3 different areas (yes I loved its 3d) Empire cinemas, odeon, showcase and Cineworld, not once did I pay more than the £9.00 unless I paid the extra £1 for forgetting my glasses. Average 2d prices today tend to be around £9.25 to £9.90 or over £12 for 3d unless you go on a Tuesday or you're a student, I'm basing this off 2 theatre chains in my area right now. So I'm sorry but im not buying that I'm simply 'wrong', I remember it like it was yesterday.

8 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Because for example ATP for Avatar was €10.14

If I remember it right, Avatar's average ticket price was roughly 50% over the all year average ticket price here in Germany.

One of the reasons today's ticket prices are so similar to it (+/- depending on title)

According to your details I guess AEGs av ticket price might end with at max something less than 35% over/higher than the all year av ticket price.

Curious to see the final numbers/details 😉

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chucky said:

I watched Avatar 3d 6 times in 4 different theatre chains in 3 different areas (yes I loved its 3d) Empire cinemas, odeon, showcase and Cineworld, not once did I pay more than the £9.00 unless I paid the extra £1 for forgetting my glasses. Average 2d prices today tend to be around £9.25 to £9.90 or over £12 for 3d unless you go on a Tuesday or you're a student, I'm basing this off 2 theatre chains in my area right now. So I'm sorry but im not buying that I'm simply 'wrong', I remember it like it was yesterday.

Exchange Rates. December 2009 £1 = $1.6, now £1 = $1.23. So £8.5 in 2009 were $13.6 and £10 now is $12.3. So higher in Pound but lower in $. Or if we take £11 = $13.53 so still a little below 2009.

From a pound perspective you are right, the expensive blockbuster now are more expensive than Avatar, same for €, but in $ in some countries Avatar had a higher ATP.

Also you should read the prior posts that point out that Avatar did good in countries with high ticket prices like Uk, Germany, Japan, France amounts others while Endgame did especially good in countries with lower ticket prices. See my example in a prior post.

So while locally in the Uk one thing might be the case WW it's different.

In Germany for example Avatar is far higher than Endgame but in most other countries it's below.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

That is honestly kinda hilarious because the difference is a little bigger than rounding errors. 

And yeah there might be rounding errors but most countries actually track both admissions and revenue.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

In Pound that might be the case but this is about a comparison in US-dollar and admissions.

Because for example ATP for Avatar was €10.14, while it was €11.25M for Endgame but in $ it was $14.3 for Avatar and just $12.5 for Endgame.

And for Avatar UK was the third biggest market behind France and Germany.

But the difference between the two is that Avatar did more than 2B in the high price countries (DOM, Europe, Japan, Aus and NZ) while Endgame did about 1.5B in those.

In other markets with way lower ticket prices Avatar did around 750M while Endgame did 1.3B and that is where the difference comes from.

Example (4th biggest OS country):

Avatar - Germany 11.3M adm $162M

Endgame - Brazil 20M adm $86M

Ok so endgame sold more tickets in places like Brazil but Brazilian box office attendance has increased from 112m in 2009 to 181m in 2017 (over 50%) so selling more tickets there comes down to an expansive market.

• Knock It Off 4

5 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Exchange Rates. December 2009 £1 = $1.6, now £1 = $1.23. So £8.5 in 2009 were $13.6 and £10 now is $12.3. So higher in Pound but lower in $. Or if we take £11 = $13.53 so still a little below 2009.

From a pound perspective you are right, the expensive blockbuster now are more expensive than Avatar, same for €, but in $ in some countries Avatar had a higher ATP.

I paid 14€ for Avatar in 3D, and something under 12€ for AEG (forgot, between 11.2€ and 11.9€, I have to search for the ticket remains)

9 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Also you should read the prior posts that point out that Avatar did good in countries with high ticket prices like Uk, Germany, Japan, France amounts others while Endgame did especially good in countries with lower ticket prices. See my example in a prior post.

So while locally in the Uk one thing might be the case WW it's different.

In Germany for example Avatar is far higher than Endgame but in most other countries it's below.

Ok so endgame seems to be killing admission wise in places where the market has expanded over the last 10 years, I guess that would make sense then. I mention this because I've seen alot of posts pointing out Avatars advantages back in 2009 but there seemed to be alot of ignorance when it comes to Endgame's advantages today in this market 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2