kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

In 1997, Brazil only had 1200+ cinemas with estimated 70m+ moviegoers in a year.

Titanic attracted 17.7m audience , that was a quarter of the annual total moviegoers.

Today, Brazil has 3300+ cinemas across the country with 160m+ people going into cinema a year. Yet, many blockbusters still struggle to top 10m admission. 

Just to give you an illustration of how massive of Titanic was in a way smaller market size back then. 

I remember reading through the BOG archived circa 2001-2002 and being especially agog at the Brazil figure for Titanic in this round-up since it seemed so inconceivable compared to the numbers the market was producing at the time:

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/titanic600.shtml

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dark Samurai said:

One thing that's very interesting and certainly in contrast to the average blockbuster is that the 3 biggest films of the last 30 years are all longer than two and a half hours.

Titanic 194 minutes

Endgame 181 minutes

The notion that audiences don't have the required attention span for longer than 100 minutes is just a myth. The ability for the aforementioned films to immerse their audiences into their respective Worlds is far more important than the running time. Most films simply don't go all-in in their conviction to tell a story. Whether it's a budget issue, studio meddling, unrealized ideas, or something else, it's peculiar how many films have been butchered to oblivion just so they can be packaged under 2 hours and yet, the true Mega Blockbusters are sprawling and feel just as their creators imagined them.

Agreed.  To add to that list, RotK, which was the second movie to ever cross the billion dollar mark was an 3 hours and 20 minutes long.  People will sit still and pay attention for three hours or more if you give them a good reason to do so.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

One record it won’t break is Disc records and we are past the HV(DVD/BR) era.

Agree.

I even think the MCUs of this year will take an even bigger downward impact per some details in the announcements for Disney+ (speaking about dom in especial)

Only not sure about if SMFFH also will get the same impact, as I guess its not on Disney+ too (or soon)

• Like 1

In less than 15 hours, Endgame has 550 comments on YTS (torrent website). The likes of Black Panther, Ragnarok, etc, which are in top 5 most downloaded films of site has around 400 comments till date. Infinity War is highest at 1450 approx and 9,152,317 times downloads. Number two being Black Panther at 6,583,483 times download and 335 comments.

The download number on website is not updated, but my guess, easy peasy over 1.5mn downloads. That's just WEB.Rip.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Astonished 4

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

In less than 15 hours, Endgame has 550 comments on YTS (torrent website). The likes of Black Panther, Ragnarok, etc, which are in top 5 most downloaded films of site has around 400 comments till date. Infinity War is highest at 1450 approx and 9,152,317 times downloads. Number two being Black Panther at 6,583,483 times download and 335 comments.

The download number on website is not updated, but my guess, easy peasy over 1.5mn downloads. That's just WEB.Rip.

https://yts.lt/browse-movies/0/all/all/0/downloads

endgame just cant stop

16 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Agree.

I even think the MCUs of this year will take an even bigger downward impact per some details in the announcements for Disney+ (speaking about dom in especial)

Only not sure about if SMFFH also will get the same impact, as I guess its not on Disney+ too (or soon)

#1 title sold this year though likely though. 4k version will sell like crazy.

Can't wait to watch it on Disney +. Purchasing year long subscription the day it comes out. 

On 7/29/2019 at 11:15 PM, Charlie Jatinder said:

Admissions of Avatar were less than half of Titanic in India. Endgame beat Titanic admissions here. 

Same in case of Brazil.

Both take the box office and ticket sales to compare a film in 1998 and a 2019 is not comparable, in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the number of the cinema, the number of screen several times more than in 1998, is also very much higher than in 2009, so you can carry a ticket sales are completely different, in 2009, the region of Asia, Africa and Latin America are rarely sufficient to support 3 d screen avatar screenings, as an example, the tens of thousands of screens in South America in 2009, only 600 pieces of 3 d screen can support the avatar. I come from China, I'm still a sensation caused by the Titanic was released in China, the Titanic in China is undoubtedly a kind of social phenomenon, is not just a movie, many people who also don't go to the cinema to see the Titanic, and even our President also called for everyone to see the film, too fanatical, everyone is talking about the Titanic, everyone is talking about jack and rose, the elderly, young children, a blind man to see in Shanghai the 16 times the Titanic, is like "beatlemania" in the United States. The Titanic at that time China has achieved 360 million yuan at the box office, only less than one over ten of the EG, but I can be sure of say, the Titanic is more popular than the EG, in China only young people in China to see the EG, old people don't even know the film, but the Titanic has attracted people all over the country to go to see it, to talk about it. I believe the same is true in Brazil, South Africa and the developing world.This is not a question of box office or admission number,the world is develop and the market is bigger and bigger.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tag 2 said:

Both take the box office and ticket sales to compare a film in 1998 and a 2019 is not comparable, in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the number of the cinema, the number of screen several times more than in 1998, is also very much higher than in 2009, so you can carry a ticket sales are completely different, in 2009, the region of Asia, Africa and Latin America are rarely sufficient to support 3 d screen avatar screenings, as an example, the tens of thousands of screens in South America in 2009, only 600 pieces of 3 d screen can support the avatar. I come from China, I'm still a sensation caused by the Titanic was released in China, the Titanic in China is undoubtedly a kind of social phenomenon, is not just a movie, many people who also don't go to the cinema to see the Titanic, and even our President also called for everyone to see the film, too fanatical, everyone is talking about the Titanic, everyone is talking about jack and rose, the elderly, young children, a blind man to see in Shanghai the 16 times the Titanic, is like "beatlemania" in the United States. The Titanic at that time China has achieved 360 million yuan at the box office, only less than one over ten of the EG, but I can be sure of say, the Titanic is more popular than the EG, in China only young people in China to see the EG, old people don't even know the film, but the Titanic has attracted people all over the country to go to see it, to talk about it. I believe the same is true in Brazil, South Africa and the developing world.This is not a question of box office or admission number,the world is develop and the market is bigger and bigger.

Yea yea yea, we get it Titanic2187 

You don't need an alt to say the same thing over and over again

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Permanent Magnet said:

Yea yea yea, we get it Titanic2187 

You don't need an alt to say the same thing over and over again

ANd what happened with Titanic, as far as being a pop culture phenomenon, ain't nothing compared to when "Star Wars:ANH" came out in 1977......

"

If you

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:34 AM, Taruseth said:

There are so many complex factors to count into all of that, so it's basically impossible to say which movie really is the most successful of all time, because movies like Gone with the Wind were gigantic partly due to multiple rereleases but overall they were. Considering that inflation, ER, growing markets etc, distribution of gross and admissions are varying constantly, which is why the general consensus is to take unadjusted biggest grosser in dollar to determine the most successful movie (and in the backhand look at admissions) and in the former barely in the later by quite a margin Endgame is the biggest movie.

Avatar in Brazil did about 9.2M or so, that means ticket numbers for Endgame are 100+% higher than for Avatar.

ALos if you look at the top 20 when adjusted for inflatation, about half were roadshowed when they came out., which meant they played for a months at a time at prices about twice what the average ticket price was before going into a release at normal ticket prices.

But on the adjusted lists, Titanic comes in around #5, whereas Avatar is around 15 or 14.

Top Three are Gone With the Wind, Star Wars:A New Hope, and The Sound Of Music.

Be interetesting to where Endgame places on the adjusted lists;they are waiting for it to complete it's run before adding it in.

Edited by dudalb

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

ANd what happened with Titanic, as far as being a pop culture phenomenon, ain't nothing compared to when "Star Wars:ANH" came out in 1977......

"

"We're never gonna beat Titanic, no one can"

- George Lucas

• Astonished 1

9 hours ago, cdsacken said:

#1 title sold this year though likely though. 4k version will sell like crazy.

Can't wait to watch it on Disney +. Purchasing year long subscription the day it comes out. 

I do not doubt ~ #1 of the year, but reaching similar high numbers as the best MCU disc sales.

e.g.

Avengers 1 (only US, DVD + Blu-Ray, excl renting)

Home Market Performance
Est. Domestic DVD Sales $118,173,205 Details
Est. Domestic Blu-ray Sales $120,527,710 Details
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $238,700,915

same conditions, Avengers 3

Home Market Performance
Est. Domestic DVD Sales $22,055,413 Details
Est. Domestic Blu-ray Sales $97,267,152 Details
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $119,322,565

Its going downwards in general for discs (but up for digital), as we all know, but I think its possible the Disney+ advertising campaign might speed up the disk downwards path.

As high as the BO of A4 got, it might be still higher too, as more people have seen it, as higher might be that part, but I guess e.g. not as high as possible without the Disney+ announcements.

Hmmm, centre stage for that was CM, as being the first to get streamed solely there, might get hit harder, we'll see.

Btw, Black Panther and CA 3 hailed in more Blu-ray sales per count than Avengers 3, but with the average price for A3 Blu-Ray's being higher, both earned less than A3. See your comment about 4k (and other special editions).

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I do not doubt ~ #1 of the year, but reaching similar high numbers as the best MCU disc sales.

Marvel do not usually have the number one sellers of the year (I imagine the quick Netflix release pattern, piracy level of the target audience, high cost of unites etc...), black Panther was a bit of an exception.

In unit sold, highest of the year ranked:

infinity war was #5 on 2018, 

Guardian 2 number 6 of 2017 (#1 Moana)

Civil war number 5 (#1 star wars)

Ultron number 8 (#1: Jurassic World)

Guardian the galaxy #3  (#1: Frozen)

Iron Man 3 number 27 (#1: Despicable Me 2)

Avengers #2 ( #1: hunger games)

Animated movie tend to perform quite well in physical sales and this year we have The lion king-Toy story 4 (Frozen 2 / Star wars are potential monster but with the release date 2020 disk release)

Considering how well Greatest Showman did in sales last year, Bohemian Rhapsody could also be a good competition.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Marvel do not usually have the number one sellers of the year

thanks, that was why I added the ~ before the #1, was to lazy to check that detail, but felt something is wrong. I only used the Blu-Ray of all time list to find fast certain titles as a 'jump point' to their sales details

I think children disk are still prone to high numbers, or discs parents want to share with their children (reboots, late new parts to movies out of their childhood... included)

I agree, Netflix I guess is one reason for that, but that awareness was I guess as one of many about Netflix, I mean the difference is, this  years' MCUs were in the forefront of the Disney+ announcements, like CM being the first to only get there was in a lot of headlines. So if someone picks a pack of discs somewhere, not sure if to pick that one too, some more than usual might decide against it.

Just a theory for the moment.

I actually like still discs, so for me its also about a bit of a ~ mourning about the 'death' of discs. Some movies are already rather difficult to even get to buy.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1